Gas valve and switching tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkperez

Not new to RVs but new to our current 5th wheel...

On our old 5th wheel we had a valve that automatically switched from propane tank to the other propane tank.  When it switched, a RED indicator showed up on the valve above the regulator.  You turned a knob so the "backup" tank was now current, the red indicator turned back to silver, then pulled the empty tank and got it refilled.  When the now current tank got empty, the red indicator showed up again, you turned the knob, and so on.

On the NEW trailer, the tanks are on opposite sides.  I read the manual, but I must have been having a senior moment, 'cause it didn't make much sense).  Above the regulator is a switch with two "In" connections, one from each tank.    There's a small, round indicator that has two green areas (it appears they're supposed to turn red when SOMETHING is empty), and a lever you move 180 degrees to switch tanks as near as I can figure. 

When we picked up the trailer, I didn't realize the switch setup was different than our old one.  I asked the dealer, but in retrospect the answer doesn't make a lot of sense.  They told me you leave the lever to the left, which uses one tank until it's empty, then move the lever to use the other tank.  BUT, it appears the way you know this tank is empty is that all the gas appliances stop working until you switch.

That doesn't make much sense, so I'm curious how I SHOULD be using this setup...  Should this setup automatically switch tanks like our old one did?  And if so, do I get an indicator (from green to red?) that it's switched?  Or, do I REALLY have to let the tank run dry and have everything quit?  And once I flip the lever is it JUST using the other tank or are BOTH tanks open so when it runs out EVERYTHING is empty.

I've GOTTA be making this more complicated than it needs to be!

Our "old" trailer is a 2006 Keystone Zeppelin.  I was told that the valve would switch automatically, but that did not happen.  You have to manually switch them when you notice you are out of gas.  :eek:

Ours has the same type of switch, but it's automatic.  There's an indicator that shows green, when propane is flowing, when the tank gets emptied (the tank that the switch is pointing to), the switch will automatically switch to the other tank, and the indicator is then red.  Here, I have two options.  Leave it as it is, and let it keep pulling from the 2nd tank, and leave the indicator red, OR, manually turn the switch over to the propane tank that is now being used, and the indicator then turns back to green.  Either way, once my primary tank is empty, it will automatically switch to the other tank, without me having to flip the switch.  The only reason I would manually flip the switch, is if I wanted to have a "green" indicator showing again.  Otherwise, everything is always automatic, and I've never had any problems with mine, as opposed to the stories that I read on this site sometimes, with owners having the automatic switch not operate.

jjkz24, perhaps mine operates that way too.  At least, it was explained to me that it was automatic.  Never realized the indicator would stay red, though.

Phil Hyde said:
jjkz24, perhaps mine operates that way too.  At least, it was explained to me that it was automatic.  Never realized the indicator would stay red, though.

Yes, it will stay red, because the switch itself is still pointing to the tank that is empty.  It's basically giving you a visual indication that the tank that the switch is pointed to, is empty.  Until, of course, you manually turn the switch over to the other tank, which the indicator will then turn green.  There's no need to manually turn the switch, however, because it will switch itself over, automatically, internally.

I'm sure that you have an automatic switch, as I don't see too many anymore that aren't.  However, that doesn't mean that it is.  I'm not sure if there is a part number stamped on it or not, that you would be able to research it, to make sure that it is an automatic switch.

Now I'm wondering if I misunderstood the explanation...  'Cause what you're saying makes a LOT more sense that what I THOUGHT I heard.  The valve/regulator/switch is on the "passenger" side, above the propane tank.  There's a line in from the passenger tank and a line that comes across from the "driver" side tank.  Right now, the lever is pointing to the passenger side tank input and the round dial has alternating green and black segments. 

I PRESUME that once the passenger tank gets empty, the dial will turn to red and black segments, but the part I DON'T know is whether it'll just start feeding propane from the driver side tank or if everything will just stop working until I go flip the lever...  That could potentially be VERY bad 'cause if you don't know you're not getting propane from the tank that's now empty and you're running the refrigerator on propane it could be HOURS before you knew it wasn't working...

BUT, now that I think about it, if I were to turn on the stove burners, then shut OFF the valve on the passenger tank, it seems like I should be able to tell right away if it switches to the other tank automatically or not...  If it DOESN'T, I'm thinking it's time for a new gas switch 'cause if it's manual that's unacceptable.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

As for propane switching it does it automatically regardless of the direction of the knob... The knob only controls what the indicator is show so if the know is point to the empty tank it should show red if you flip it to a full tank then it will show green. Direction of the knob has no bearing if the propane is going to flow from which tank. It depends on which tank was opened first will be the first to start. So say if the left tank was first open and then the right tank but the knob is on the right side you could have a problem. Becuase the disc will only show red when the second tank is dry and then its too late. I tend to do it the old school method of one bottle at a time...

The original idea was to tell you that the regulator has switched to the other tank.  The sight glass would show red toward the tank that is now empty.  You are to leave the switch as is (keeping the sight glass red) until the empty tank is refilled.  This is to be a reminder.  Meanwhile, you are running on the other tank.  However long it takes you to refill the empty tank is totally up to you.  But the sight glass and switch is still saying "Hey dude, this tank is empty!"
You wait too long, you run out of LP.  Once the empty is refilled, THEN flip the switch over to the tank the RV has been running on.  The sight glass should turn green and your good to go.  And you know you have another full tank whenever needed.

If you stick to the program, the scenario just repeats always leaving you with a full tank ready for the auto switchover.  If you're a procrastinator, you might be taking a cold shower and going out for breakfast the next morning.

Either they explained it badly, or I understood it badly!  After all this, I went out and played with the tanks...  It works EXACTLY the way the one did on the old trailer.  The only difference is that on that one you rotated a knob, and on this one you flip a lever!

We always periodically checked the propane tanks.  When the thing turned red, I flipped to the other tank then got the empty one filled soon...  The new one works the same way... 

I even READ the information in the booklet for the gas section.  I SWEAR the explanation made me think this thing worked quite differently than it does!

Back
Top Bottom