Gas'n Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

I've looked and haven't found exactly what I am looking for, so will ask the question. When I drove my Class A RV home, I pulled into a station that wasn't busy. Overhead was fine for the RV. However I more or less took up two pumps in order to gas up. No one got mad or upset or stared, as it wasn't busy, but wondering what others do to avoid potential problems. I can see that taking up two pumps could create a situation with the wrong type of person, if things were busy. Curious what others do?

You do what you have to do. It's no worse than the person who leaves their car at the pump while they go grocery shopping.

My gas fill is in the back, so that often means blocking two pumps. I sometimes have to back out, and I've had to ask someone to move so I could.

I've had people complain twice. I told both, next time don't get in back of a motorhome!

Taking up multiple pumps is normal in many stations -- there's just not much choice. Fill up and go with as little delay as you can reasonably do. Otherwise, truck stops (if you're in a diesel rig) are made for long rigs.

No different than a pickup truck with a trailer.
Most stations have 3 or 4 aisles with pumps on both sides. Plenty of pumps to go around. I wouldn't worry about it.

If possible you will normally want to use an outside pump to make it easier to exit. Also, stop 2 - 3 feet from the pump to give you more room for tail-wag when you exit.

And look for stations with lots of room and easy entry/exit paths.  Counting on an empty station is risky - chances are somebody will pull in and block your path while you are filling that big tank.

A couple of months ago, while returning from tx, made a fuel stop at a truck stop in southern ky. This station had plenty of room and eight double sided pumps adding up to sixteen pumps. We might have gotten there at a busy time or the idiot behind us was just having a bad day. We were only taking up one pump. We were done and getting ready to pull out when he came up to drivers side window and yelled, "are you done yet? your holding up traffic"! Boy! Sure glad wife is smarter than me. She told him that we were just leaving. Right after she grabbed my arm and indicated for me not to say a word! Probably, the guy was just jealous that he was working that day instead of in a mh having a nice trip! Stay positive!

Likely he was the one in maybe fifty or more that you see driving trucks in that same aggressive manner. Your wife was right, get away from him and let him be nasty or worse with the next guy.

farmerick4u said:
A couple of months ago, while returning from tx, made a fuel stop at a truck stop in southern ky. This station had plenty of room and eight double sided pumps adding up to sixteen pumps. We might have gotten there at a busy time or the idiot behind us was just having a bad day. We were only taking up one pump. We were done and getting ready to pull out when he came up to drivers side window and yelled, "are you done yet? your holding up traffic"! Boy! Sure glad wife is smarter than me. She told him that we were just leaving. Right after she grabbed my arm and indicated for me not to say a word! Probably, the guy was just jealous that he was working that day instead of in a mh having a nice trip! Stay positive!

I always think "You are lucky today but someday you are going to do that to the wrong person!"  I have too good of a life to get sucked into an argument with someone crazy like that but he will find someone with nothing to lose eventually!

With such a small fuel tank on my Navion (26 gallons), I need to fill up several times on long trips and usually with the toad. I have blocked two pumps and sometimes the entrance into the station. I have never had an issue with someone getting upset. Probably because I am such a nice guy no one wants to approach me. 

I pull in the semi bays.  No issues, the guys are always nice.  Some interested
in the old motorhome, some saying they wished their trucks only held what I buy
and I think its expensive!  I have never been treated rudely.

I try to use the outside pumps. And, you have no choice, about taking up 2 spaces.
Just do your fill-up and move.
Happy travels

I pulled into a gas station that only had one diesel pump. Plenty of room for me to pull in, fill up, and pull on through around the station and out the other side. As I pulled in, there was a truck with a horse trailer at the pump. The guy had just finished filling up and replaced the pump and closed his gas cap. I pulled all the way in, thinking he would be leaving. Unfortunately, he left his truck there at the pump and walked into the station. I had pulled up too far to move, as I couldnt back up with my toad. I had no choice but to sit there.

A tanker truck was waiting to pull in behind me. He was delivering fuel to the station. Since my jeep stuck out behind me, and I couldnt move, he couldnt get in. So he sat out on the road, blocking traffic until the dumba$$ finally came out of the station, It was a good 5 minutes. Nothing either one of us could do but wait.

It cost me almost 100 dollars to fill up. I think that entitled me to more than a couple of pumps for that mount of time. Though I did feel bad the trucker had to waste that time because I was in his way.

I do my best to try to get as far in and out of everyone's way as possible. Fill up & get gone.
If I need to do anymore shopping, I'll find a big parking lot somewhere else to park.

I always refuel at truck stops...never a neighborhood station. No problems there, as long as you pull up immediately after you're done fueling. Go in and pay AFTER you pull up.

Some station operators get upset with that, too many gas and go's. Here we have to prepay at the pump or inside. I usually block two pumps, nothing I can do about it, so I pull ahead as soon as possible and park out of the way before getting my coffee. I have had a couple of snarky comments from impatient drivers but as nicely as possible assure them I won't be long

I have always assumed that my fuel purchase was large enough that I was entitled to 2 spaces.... and I move out ASAP.

I was thinking the same thing  @ 75 gal tank it's a big purchase

Get in, pay at the pump if possible - figure out and follow the station's protocol when it's not, fuel up .. and get out.    My practice to reset one of the coach's 4 "trip counters" to zero - and the record the # of miles the trip counter read prior to being reset as well as the coach mileage in a note on my cell phone - every time I refuel.  It takes all of 60 seconds on a slow day.  If there's nobody waiting for the pump, I do it before moving - if there's somebody behind me - I pull ahead and do it in the lot before I pull back onto the road.  Obviously nobody likes sitting around and waiting - but understand that it's sometimes a part of life.  The douchenozzle who expects YOU to make sure you're never in HIS way it exactly that.  You can't stop douchenozzles from being douchenozzles - so there's no sense in getting too worried about it.

when I had the class C,if I wasn't towing anything I would always try to pull to the forward pump so not to block two pumps. If I was towing my utility trailer, there wasn't much choice except to block two pumps.
I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom