Gather Around Keystown Alpine Owners! Question time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

priv8pilot

I have been researching for months and have decided my new 5th wheel will be in the Keystone Alpine line. I have looked online and finally last weekend drove 250 miles to walk thru a few of them. I liked the ft bathroom model but walking thru it I would hit my head on the door frame going into the bathroom. I also noticed that by having a large ft bathroom and a second bathroom downstairs it seem to take a lot away from the 'living' area.
The we found the 3591RS.  Mother loves the amount of storage. She wants the larger 'home style' refrigerator. There seems to be a lot more cabinet space and storage.
  The problem I am running into is getting more information on this model. On the Keystone site it says. "stock" I notice this model is not being made in the 2017 model. Does that mean that what is out there is all that will be made? Also Some company's are listing it as a "New Design" I have no idea what the difference is. I love the technical aspect of things so I am always looking for details.

So here are a few questions that come to mind:

6 point leveling system. do you like it?

It shows a couch in the back but I cannot find anything that says if it is a sleeper couch like I see in others.

For those of you that have the larger Samsung refrigerator does it come with an ice maker?

I see when you get the larger fridge it has a 1000w invertor. Is that for travel only? In other words if I am parked with shore power is it using the shore power to operate the fridge or does it always go thru the invertor. ( My plan is to live in this full time at the same place for a few years and can see it burning out an inverter or two.)

That should do it for now. I am sure more questions will pop up so thanks in advance!

Steve 

I love mine I have the RV fridge so i don't know about that.
The only complaint i have is the mattress was a very cheap one we replaced it with a regular one.
The 6 point leveling is great you just disconnect and push the auto level button it does the rest, when it's time to leave push the left and right buttons together and it returns to the position it started in. It also stabilizes the trailer so there's very little movement.

Gsport said:
What??  You haven't checked out Grand Design??

I agree with Gsport. Deb and i keep window shopping around and have checked out quite a few trailers, fifth wheels, and motorhomes. On the towable side, Grand Designs seems to be the best built trailers for the money that are commonly available in Delaware. The Reflections line is right up our alley with seemly built sturdy, has a lot of nice features, but isn't glitzy. Be aware that the price you see online seems to be the MSRP, and they can be bought for a bit less.

I'm not sure about the "home" type fridge running on an inverter

would be okay on the road with power from the truck, but what about parked somewhere like a Walmart overnight?

can a household type fridge run properly "on the road"? and particularly with the power "quality" of an inverter

and how long will an inverter last supplying a fridge?

The "home type" fridge will be compressor cooled, requiring 120V to operate, just like your home fridge. 
The usual RV fridge is an absorption type, requiring a propane or 120V heat source.  It also needs 12V for control circuitry.

Home type cool down very quickly - in a few hours and maintain their temp regardless of outside temp.
RV type take a day or two to cool.  They do not respond well to adding lots of warm food.  Outside temps / sun on the side of the RV will affect how cool a temp it can hold.

Many folks consider the residential fridge a big upgrade.

As stated above, the residential model requires 120VAC to operate.  While traveling, this can be provided by a suitable size battery bank and an inverter (changes 12VDC to 120VAC) or by a running generator.  When plugged into shore power, it runs on shore power and shore power charges the batteries using the converter (120VAC to 12VDC)

6 point leveling system. do you like it?  Yes, wouldn't be without it.

It shows a couch in the back but I cannot find anything that says if it is a sleeper couch like I see in others.  More likely than not, its a queen pull out. Call the dealer and ask.

For those of you that have the larger Samsung refrigerator does it come with an ice maker?  Most do. Web brochure says sofa sleeper.

I see when you get the larger fridge it has a 1000w invertor. Is that for travel only?  Yes and boondocking. Read grashley's response.

Rereading your initial post, a few new thoughts:

If you are parked in place for long periods of time, the value of the 6 point level is diminished.  You need to level ONCE every time you move.  If you seldom move...  The 6 point is a great system and definitely on my wish list.

Semi permanently parked, definitely go with the residential fridge!

Beware the dreaded poo pile!!  If you do not know what I mean, search Poo Pile or ask!!!

My favorite FW is the Alpine, too!

I've got plans to remove my RV fridge as soon as it sells and install a residential fridge in it's place. It's going to run off the inverter while traveling and the truck alternator hopefully will keep up with charging the battery. When we stop for the night, I'm going to shut off the fridge so the inverter doesn't wear down the battery overnight. Then the next morning, I'll turn the fridge back on and we'll be on our way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom