GCVW question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelser01

This is probably more of a vent than anything else, but really how does your website(Chevrolet) show that the HD Silverado can have up to a 23,000 lb rating.  And then the owners manual only show up to 18,500?  I dont see anything any heavier, so WTH would you putt an extra 4,500 on your website?

Oh, and a max trailer weight of 16,500, owners manual lists 12,900 as the highest.  Am I just missing something?

how does your website(Chevrolet) show that the HD Silverado can have up to a 23,000 lb rating.

For clarification, our web site provides no ratings for any vehicles, Chevrolet or otherwise. Maybe you saw a link to a Chevrolet web site and clicked on it. Alternatively, you might have seen a message postd by a forum member, but our forum rules contain the caveat that any such postings are the opinion of the individual poster. Could you share the address of the web site, web page, or forum message where you saw this information?

Thanks.

Chevrolet says 16,500 / 23,500, here, for the 2009 models:

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailering/

What manual are you looking at??  Maybe it isn't for the correcly equipped truck.  The uprated payload is NOT with standard equipment.

Sorry guys, as usual I was clear a mud.  I did NOT find any weight ratings on this site.  I was talking about Chevrolet.com.  Sorry, my bad. 

I downloaded the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Owners Manual form Chevrolet.com also.  It has the break down for pretty much every type of 1500 2500 and 3500, and the 3.73 or 4.10 Axle Ratio.  So am I missing something?  Or if you are truck hunting --then make sure and read the owners manual and disregard what the website said?    I dont have a trailer yet, I bought a large truck to pull a friends trailer for now(and to haul hay and feed in),  but I really though I pretty much had all the truck I needed(3500 Silverado, Crew Cab, 4x4, gas).

Sorry for the confusion!

a place i like to use as reference for GCWR, GVWR etc is howstuffworks. They have a towing guide that lists everything you need - pretty easy 2 use

click here: towing

Thanks for the link, Frank

Looks like a great resource for all..old timers and newbies..a must read.

I haven't vetted the whole thing, but then what do I know..only towing a Jeep.  ;D

carson FL

kelser01 said:
Sorry guys, as usual I was clear a mud.  I did NOT find any weight ratings on this site.  I was talking about Chevrolet.com.  Sorry, my bad. 

Dodge does the same thing. If you look at the product page for the 2500/3500 it gives one value with '*' next to it. Lower down on the page hidden in grey text it has '* indicates when properly equipped'. Okay, so the truck has a pretty good capacity when properly equipped. Yet, you look at the buyers guide for towing capacities and there's no way to equip a truck that way.

It sounds like GMC, Dodge, and probably Ford (haven't checked) play fast a loose with the numbers posted on line. The only number that counts is what's posted on the door post of the truck you wish to buy and that's only the GVWR, not the GCVW which you vented about.

I've read through several of the sections at that link and would take exceptions to some of the sweeping truths they postulate, but overall it is pretty good beginner's tutorial.

Sweeping indeed.  Some of them are odd besides -- like stating that Class V hitches are all either 5th wheel or gooseneck.  I guess the so-labelled Class V hitch on my Bronco is a figment of my imagination. 

Yeah, there is more than a little of that sort of thing in the collection of articles. And the advice is more humorous than complete. Still, if it get novices to realize that they have to do something more than buy a hitch or towbar & go, it is beneficial.

kelser01 said:
This is probably more of a vent than anything else, but really how does your website(Chevrolet) show that the HD Silverado can have up to a 23,000 lb rating.  And then the owners manual only show up to 18,500?  I dont see anything any heavier, so WTH would you putt an extra 4,500 on your website?

Oh, and a max trailer weight of 16,500, owners manual lists 12,900 as the highest.  Am I just missing something?

To answer your question the web site knows all the possible options for the Silverado.. Your owner's manual is limited

Also, the people who design the truck are NOT the ones who write the manual. Thus, things sometimes change. A web page can be updated to reflect that change easily... A printed book is not so easy to update epically after it's been shipped.

Back
Top Bottom