Gel Coat question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure this is gel coat and not clear coat? Use the Search button above to find prior discussions and explanations of the two completely different materials/finishes.

Yes, it is gel coat fiberglass. We bought this "used". Not titled to anyone,believe it was on a dealers lot in CA, but the finish has water spots.  It's a 2008 Endeavor.

Thanks for any input how to remove them.

Water spots are dried minerals, left over when the water evaporated. If they aren't too bad, a strong solution of white vinegar and water will remove them, though it may take some rubbing. If they are thick and really baked on, it may take serious polishing with either gritty polishes (rubbing compound) or strong chemicals. One of the problems is that the mineral content differs form place to place, so what works for one person may do little for another becasue the spots are a different compound.

Here are some tips:
http://www.automedia.com/How_to_Eliminate_Water_Spots/ccr20020801hw/1

Thanks Gary. We will have to check into this a little further. I'm thinking it is beyond the vinegar and distilled water stage and may need to be buffed out to get it looking better. If anyone has had this problem your responses and solutions would be appreciated!

Before resorting to a heavy rubbing compound, I'd try something with a lighter grit, maybe a polishing compound such as one made for boats by 3M, and available at WalMart. IIRC Maguires makes a similar product. You can always go to the harsher grit rubbing compound if you need to.

I'm just curious if/how you know these are water spots vs the natural oxidation that happens to gel coat. We get lots of "spots" on our boat that that are actually bird poop, and they really stain gel coat.

FWIW I practice prevention from water spots; I towel dry our boat after washing it. The whole process takes me 6 hours each time, but I don't get any water spots remaining. One of these days I'll cough up the $$ to install appropriate filters at our dock, although I suspect it won't totally eliminate the towel drying.

I think most folks think that because it is very shiny, that it is gel-coat. I believe that almost all newer motor homes have Clear Coat finishes. Clear Coat is sprayed on after the paint is applied. It is just another layer a of protective layer.

What Rv's are really Gel-Coat, such as in boats?

carson

Carson,

That's why I asked the question in my earlier response. There are, however, some RVs out there with gel coat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom