Generater blinking service code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmann7x

I have a 7500k Onan Diesel Quiet Gen. I went to move the coach to outside and the coach batteries were about dead and I used the auxilary start and it still didn't start so I charged the coach batteries and it started. I went to start the gen and got a code 19(service code). I checked my house batteries and noticed they were extremely low on distilled water so I topped them off. No luck. The fuel pump operates but when I try to start I immediately get the blinking light. I am supposed to go on a trip to Tennesse saturday but I couldn't imagine traveling with no house air. I am guessing Cummins Onan will not be able to get me in but I am going to try and call tommorow. I also keep the RV plugged in. Please help my 8 year old daughter is so bummed out. :(  Happy 4th to you guys and thanks for any input. God Bless our service men and women!!

Just adding water to the batteries will not 'fix' them. They are likely quite dead themselves and will require charging.  It sounds like these batteries have been boiled by a poor (possibly a single stage) charging system (the converter).

It would be wise to  charge them fully then have them load tested. This can  likely be done at any good automotive parts store often at no cost. The results of the load test may indicate the batteries are finished and you may have to buy new ones.

First check the batteries. I had  a similar problem and that was what it was.  If you have a good battery charger try that first, if you take the batteries to a shop to be tested they won't be able to tell you much if they are simply discharged.  How old are the batteries?  It's possible they are simply end of life.
Ron

Thanks for the reply. The batteries are 3 years old. I have two 6 volts wired in series to make a 12 volt system. should i charge them hooked up together on the 12 volt system, or disconnect and charge them on 6 volt? i did load test them and they are close to weak but did not fail the test. 

Treat them as a single 12V battery and charge them accordingly.  When you do replace them, replace both at the same time.

Thanks Gary. We have decided to get a room and drive the pick up. Onan could not get us in until Tuesday. I will let you know when I get it in to Onan. It is funny this happened because when I purchased this RV the generator acted up in FL and I paid 2,000 to fix this same problem that was a code 21, and that was supposed to be the govenor. 

Gary you are the man. That is exactly what it was. It was the wire to the govenor had broke where is was repaired in Florida. I cant say enough good words about Cummins-Onan Crosspoint in Indianapolis. They charged me 2 hours of labor for the total of $202.00. The funny thing is when this happened in Florida while I was getting some other things fixed to drive it home I was quoted a minimum of 5 hours of labor to pull it out and put it back in. Amazing how some of these RV dealers operate.

Glad I was able to help and thanks for the feedback. That's how we learn if we are giving good advice or not.

Five hours is reasonable to remove and replace a generator, but the estimate should have been qualified with "If its necessary". Usually not necessary for a governor fix, but the service advisor was probably giving a worst case quote. And if you had agreed, they may well have charged you the flat rate for an R&R, even though the repair did not require it.  I'm extra careful about generator repairs and mostly avoid RV dealers on them, and also ask for updated estimates after making the diagnosis and before proceeding with the work.

Back
Top Bottom