Generator issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James Journey

No a/c because we can't get generator to work.
It starts with no problem and runs about 30 seconds then dies.
A/c is turned off. Anything else I can check?
Maybe just needs servicing - 33.7 hrs of usage
Ideas appreciated.

Is your fuel tank over 1/4 full? If it isn't it isn't getting fuel. Possible carbuetor dirty from Ethanol. What year and model?

Similar problem last year. Mine would run for about 10 min and quit. Let it rest a while and it would run another 10 min. New fuel pump & filter fixed the problem.
Don't know what generator you have, but mine is an Onan 4k with about 40 hrs on it.
Another thing you might check is the oil level.
Hope this helps.

Very first thing would be if the house batteries have been tested and properly charged?

Give us some help here. What brand and model of generator is it?

Most Onans give a diagnostic code when they shut down - blinking light on the start switch. The owner manual tells how to display and interpret the code.

Since it starts and runs, I think we can assume the batteries are ok and it is getting 12v power. Most gensets will shut themselves down if some problem is detected, e.g. low oil pressure or improper 120v output, but they might also die from common engine issues like poor fuel supply.

Proper generator maintenance includes running monthly with at least 50% load on the unit for at least 30 minutes. It seems that generators with lows hours have more issues than ones with hundreds of hours.

I have had my Winnebego 2015 Itasca Reyo 25P since December, it has been back at the dealer 3 times, once for the recall (propane lines). 108 hours on generator, spent $250 for Cummins to inform me genset checks  out okay. Back to dealer some mods recommended by Winnebego, subsequently burned thru 3/4 tank of propane then problem, filled at Suburban now it runs  for 5 seconds and dies. Dealer has appointment 5 weeks in the future. Same story last time, they fit me in 4 weeks post phone call. Thinking my timing for buying a RV was not good. There are only two authorized service centers, one (40 miles away ) put me on extended hold after I replied no to "did I buy it from us". My dealer is 80 miles away thru much congestion.

CumminsWest in San Leandro. Long face, but sorry warranty  expired please pay$250 for 1 hour minimum labor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom