Generator not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, there's a 4 light indicator. It's been at 2 for awhile.

I think I probably need a good generator mechanic to come look at my generator I think. I found the circuit breakers and nothing was off. So I tried starting the generator again and now it won't turn on. It turns over a little. Too old? 1997 rv

You may not have overloaded your generator, but more likely a branch circuit breaker. Most of them will be either 15 or 20 amps. 1500 watts @ 120 volts = 12.5 amps. Not much else would trip a 15 amp breaker.
You should have a box for the house branch circuits. Some plugs may be on different circuits.
Most likely you have breakers on generator control box also.
You may have a fuse or breaker on your inverter, if you have one.
On my unit, these are all located in different places.

OK! I feel like a rookie. I fixed the problem. The generator decided not to work anymore and it sounded like it wasn't getting enough juice or something. Even when I started the RV engine, it didn't start up. So it dawned on me!!  My RV was unlevel when I checked the oil the last time. So it read like it wasn't full. Then I added some wooden slabs underneath a few days ago to level the RV which means the oil was already full. Then I checked the oil today and it was WAY FULL now that it's level!  So, I went to Walmart, bought a $2 turkey baster, took the oil out..and it works smashingly again. lesson learned!!!  Thx everyone.

I checked the circuit breaker and it didn't trip anything, so I turned them all off and on again just incase. Generator and outlets work again. I'll be careful not to overload the generator again.

It's like a I need to take an RV 101 class somewhere:)
Angie

In the interest of humor.. A couple of us were across the drive from me at a fellow RVer's Class C.

He bought it used. The salesman told him "You got a great running Generator There" (Genrac 55G) and so it is. Runs Great..... Not connected to anything (Prior owner butchered the wiring) but it runs great.

Back
Top Bottom