Generator problem need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Updated #2:

I didn't want to let you hanging as to what went on with the repair of the generator.  Charlie thanks for the links to the service manuals. Ended up taking it to the shop and it turned out to be the voltage regulator.  to make a long story short as pos.  I learned a lot from the info that I got from you all and the manuals that I got from the provided links.  I'm no expert but I'm a lot more knowledgeable about my generator from this experience.  Anyways I did follow all the test in the manuals the only test that I screwed up was the test on the "stator".  My test results were that is was bad so I took it to the shop. Jake the repairman said I did it right by the book, but it doesn't explain that you have isolate all the leads from the stator to get an accurate read.  Like I said it ended up being the volt reg.

So it's running great once again and in the process Jake sold me a used back-up, that runs just as good, for $500.00 and $175.00 for the regulator.  All in all I think I made out pretty good.

eldcas57 said:
Updated #2:

I didn't want to let you hanging as to what went on with the repair of the generator.  Charlie thanks for the links to the service manuals. Ended up taking it to the shop and it turned out to be the voltage regulator.  to make a long story short as pos.  I learned a lot from the info that I got from you all and the manuals that I got from the provided links.  I'm no expert but I'm a lot more knowledgeable about my generator from this experience.  Anyways I did follow all the test in the manuals the only test that I screwed up was the test on the "stator".  My test results were that is was bad so I took it to the shop. Jake the repairman said I did it right by the book, but it doesn't explain that you have isolate all the leads from the stator to get an accurate read.  Like I said it ended up being the volt reg.

So it's running great once again and in the process Jake sold me a used back-up, that runs just as good, for $500.00 and $175.00 for the regulator.  All in all I think I made out pretty good.
I was thinking regulator but didn't mention it because they cost $160.00 plus. They do fail quite a bit on the generac generators. I've had to buy a couple over the years. They tend to not last too long if you shut the generator down with a load on it. Did the fellow try to adjust the pod on the regulator, or did he just replace it? They will shut down if over voltage for more than a few seconds. I had a generac in one of my coachs and have a 6600 setup for a backup to my house, so I keep a spare regulator on hand. I picked up the 6600 a few years ago not working, but it looked brand new, and it was. It had the wiring going to the slip rings broken and sealed from the factory, so when it was installed it never worked. I picked it up for a couple hundred and repaired it, converted it to gas and use it for a back up for my house. It only has a few hours run time on it now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom