Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jofus64

Hey guys, quick question as the season is nearing. I have a Coleman 3500 genny that we use when elec is not available. During a recent power outage at the stick house it started right up and ran fine with one exception. It "lopes" when the idle control switch is on. Any ideas?

Usually that indicates a carbasrator adjustment (Idle a bit rich if I recall correctly).

Also do not forget to give it's monthly workout 1/2 hour under 1/2 load every month.

If you live in the NORTH get gas for it NOW, not in August.  Use Sta-bil

Turn the idle switch off?  ::)

The Idle Control reduces engine RPMs when there is zero load. The loping could be a simple failure to detect the no-load condition, which is more like a low threshold than an actual zero. It can miss very small loads like electric clocks and the stabd-by mode of appliances. When you say "lope", is it a fairly small increase in rpms, i.e. a a variable idle speed, or is it actually hunting back and forth between no-load and a load condition, basically from 2200 no-load to 3600 (any load).

This article may help:
http://www.ehow.com/how_12178999_troubleshoot-idle-control-coleman-powermate.html

When using a gen set to run loads such as an rv or during an outage leave the idle control off. When using it to run power tool or other intermittent loads turn it on. All it does islet the gen idle when not under a load. Houses and rv always have a load ...

Thanks for all the replys. I havent really had a chance to investigate it further although in my original post I did fail to mention that it is doing this with nothing plugged into it. Thus no load at all. Sounding more like bad gas or a carb issue

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom