Generator Recommendations for New 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryB

Hi - I'm eyeing a 2008 Carriage Cameo 5th wheel.  I would like the convenience of a built-in generator for power during lunch stops, overnighting in parking lots on the way to our destination, and for emergency power capability.  Other than that, I probably won't be intentionally boondocking for too many days at a time.

Carriage only offers an Onan 5500W Marquis Gold LP generator as a factory option.  I've heard LP generators use alot of propane and filling the tanks is a real pain in the neck.  So I have a few questions:

1) What would be the best type of generator for me?   I know portable ones (such as Honda EU2000) exist, but I'm leaning toward the convenience of an onboard model.  As I understand, I will need spare fuel tanks if I choose a diesel or gas model???

2) The Onan supposedly has an "Auto Changeover" feature.  What is this?  Will it automatically change from shore power to genset power if campground power is lost?  This is very important to me since we have a small dog and may need to leave her in the 5er for a few hours here and there.  Otherwise, I would worry about power going out and the A/C becoming uncomfortably warm for her.

3) Should I order the factory generator prep option, or is this only useful with a LP generator?

4) What's the smallest generator that I can get away with (wattage)?  Will a 3600W or 4000W model run a single 15000 BTU A/C and allow enough extra power for things like an occassional microwaving, along with lights, TV, etc.  We won't have things like coffee pots or curling irons going.

5) I hear many CG's offer propane refill services.  How much more expensive is it there, and do remove/reinstall the propane tanks (or do I still do that)?

Thanks!
Gary

A propane generator will be your best option as you already have propane on board the trailer.  A gas or diesel generator will require carrying another fuel source.  Since trailer propane tanks are portable, taking them to get filled is actually easier than the ASME tanks built into motorhomes.

The Auto Changeover is most likely a transfer switch that will switch to generator power if the generator is running.  It will only do so automatically in the event of shore power loss if there is an autostart feature included, which it may have.  It's a nice feature if you stay in places that are susceptible to power outages in the hot weather.

I would get the factory installed generator or at least the prep if you can get the generator afterwards for less than the factory installed cost.

The size you need will depend on what kind of loads you intend to put on it.  The 5500W should be adequate for anything you'll want, if you only have a single A/C unit.

The tanks will probably be 30 lb. tanks and can be easily removed for filling.  If you have them filled on site, expect to pay $2.50-3.00/gallon.  Up to a $1.00 less if you take them to a high volume propane fill station.

The term term "auto changeover" usually refers to an LP regulator that switches tanks automatically, which is a handy feature with the smaller LP tanks on a trailer when using the generator.  The usual term for a switch that changes from shore power to generator power is an automatic transfer switch. I check with Carriage to see which one they meant in their description.

The biggest power hogs in an RV are the a/c, the microwave and the water heater, so if they all can be running at the same time (even a moment!) you need power for all three plus a bit extra for miscellaneous use (including the fridge). Figure about 1600-1700 watts for the a/c, 1200 for the microwave (2400 if convection oven) and 1000 watts for the water heater (1200 if a 10 gallon size). That's over 4000 watts at peak, but a 4k continuous genset would probably manage with its short term overage capacity. If you are willing to manage the power a bit, i.e. put the water heater and fridge in LP mode, you might get by with 3000.

For your limited use, propane consumption is probably not an issue, though you might want to carry an extra 30# tank in the truck bed.

I just read in another recent post on this forum that it is not advisable to keep a generator running at night while sleeping (from a safety standpoint).  But I believe he was referring to a large gasoline Generac genset.  Does this advice also apply to a factory-installed Onan LP generator (in a 5er underneath bed area) that has been factory prepped and vented with a CO detector?

Thanks
Gary

Besides the noise of a generator right below the bed, most places you may be camping will also have generator hours prohibiting their use during the night.  And if you sleep with the windows open, there is the risk of CO poisoning from a running engine (I'm not sure if CO is combustion product from LP), as well as the exhaust odor.

Karl said:
Any hydrocarbon fuel can produce CO under the right conditions. I agree that the noise would be a problem even if venting was adequate and a CO detector was installed. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

We wouldn't chance it either.  Besides if the noise from the Genset didn't bother the people running the Genset it would very likely bother any neighbors nearby.

I wonder if it would be possible to put the genny in the back of the truck, enclosed.  It would mean having to go out and plug it in but it would give you a choice of fuel and fumes and noise would not be a problem.  Just a thought.  Phil

motojavaphil said:
I wonder if it would be possible to put the genny in the back of the truck, enclosed.  It would mean having to go out and plug it in but it would give you a choice of fuel and fumes and noise would not be a problem.  Just a thought.  Phil

Several folks have done just that including a neighbor here in MT.

motojavaphil said:

I was wondering that myself, Phil.  After hearing that a built-in genny shouldn't be run at night, I'm now thinking that a portable one which can be run from the bed of my truck may be a better idea (I need my A/C to sleep well !)  Of course, it'll be more of a pain since I'll need to plug it in and pull the cord, but at least fumes won't be coming up from under the bedroom  (PS - I'm not referring to doing this during quiet hours in a CG, only when parked in a truck stop/Walmart with no closeby neighbors to bother).

Along the lines of what Phil asked, has anybody ever seen an enclosure for the truck bed (such as tool box that opens from front (versus top) that I could simply wheel a heavy portable generator into (for storage) or out of (for usage)?  Or, better yet as Phil mentioned, an enclosure that I could use to run the generator from within (with proper venting)?

Thanks!
Gary

I have a Kipor and it is extremely quiet. Mine is a 3500 model and my only desire would be to increase in size so as to run a few more toys. Kipor is basically a Honda knock-off. It does come highly rated, I got mine on Amazon for less than $1000 which included shipping. It does run my A/C and all my lights but doesn't like to run the microwave at thesame time as the A/C.

Ron said:
Several folks have done just that including a neighbor here in MT.

Ron,

I'd be interested to know what type of enclosure they used, where they bought it at, and whether it is vented so the genset can be run without removing it from the enclosure.

Thanks
Gary

GaryB said:
Ron,

I'd be interested to know what type of enclosure they used, where they bought it at, and whether it is vented so the genset can be run without removing it from the enclosure.

Thanks
Gary

Unfortunately I don't have any details.  I don't think the neighbor has his in an enclosure at all.  Will try to get a closer look tomorrow.

I have a Carriage Carri lite with an Onan 5500 LP.. The trailer has the 40lp tanks. I love it and each tank last approx 10-12 hours.. more than enough for me..

I've got a 5er with an Onan generator (factory installed) and like it very much.  It is very quiet and provides good reliable power.  Yes they are pricey and they use about a gallon of propane an hour, so if you do a lot of boondocking this may not be the best option.  We don't do a lot of boondocking, but it is nice to have power at the push of a button when you stop in transit and want to warm food, or run the air to keep the dogs cool.

Another option you might consider is adding a surge protector after you get the unit.  I added one to my unit to protect electrical components from poor park power.  Another thing it does is to shut off power when the voltage gets too low and has a 2.5 minute delay to restore power, when the voltage is correct again.  This prevents air conditioner compressor problems if the voltage dips for a moment.

This delay feature prevents airconditioner damage and tripped breakers when the power dips and comes back.  That is important to me, because I live in a hot climate and have dogs.  So if I am away from the trailer and this happens the air will go off for a few minutes, but be restored when the power is OK and I know that the dogs will be OK too.

There are a number of good surge protectors out there.  The one I have is listed  here.
[edit]Fixed link[/edit]

I still pack a 3000 honda, but I went to auto tracking solar. I have two 130 watt panels on a stainless frame that is all run by a hand held remote. Raises the panels to 45 degrees then spins to put panels in the face of the sun and then it tracks the sun. All we do is dry camp so I rarely use the 3000, but it does come in handy on cloudy days. Happy camping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom