Generator running great - then power went off inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DerbyCat

Currently boondocking in our 2002 McKenzie Rogue Class C at state fair - generator (Onan 4000) running great for about 5 hours - then power went off.  Generator still runs great, but no AC, no power to outlets, etc.  We pressed the reset, checked wizard, checked GFCIs, flipped breakers, and replaced the breaker switch on generator - still no power -  We got it to click on- lasted about 3 seconds.  Went thru all steps again - did the same thing.    Someone mentioned "transfer relay"...  If that might be the problem, where on earth is it?  We have looked everywhere we can thinking of without opening walls.....

Here is a link to a previous thread that has many comments that may be helpful
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=56734.0

Here is a youtube that helps explain a Transfer Switch, and what you should be looking for.  It possibly is in a bottom of a cabinet, under a seat, etc.  Maybe check close to where shore power comes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTlMtikWjSg

Good luck

edit: added 2nd paragraph

If the genset engine runs but you get no power, the first thing to check is the circuit breaker(s) on the genset itself.  That is different than the breakers on the load center panel inside the rv.

Re your McKenzie, when you use the genset, do you plug the shore cord into a special generator outlet? If so, you do not have an auto transfer switch. If you do not have to plug into the genset, then you do have one. It is located where the genset and shore cord wires come togther, most likley behind the main RV load center (breaker box).

Thank you.  We want to temporarily plug into a 7100 watt generator someone is loaning us.  Is there anything we need to know before we plug in?  We were going to start the generator - let in runs for a few minutes and then plug our 30 amp cord into it - with nothing on in the motorhome.  We thought we would gradually turn on the AC.  AC is the main thing we want the generator for.    We figure we should not use the AC if we need to use the microwave.  Do we need to disconnect our regular generator?  What about the house batteries?  Disconnect?

Folks do I have some good help for you for this problem.  Here is my story.  Running on Gen due to storm and power outage.  All was find then Gen shut off.  Found that the Gen was putting out voltage but no a/c from Gen to RV breakers.  Finally after a day, the Power came by own from electric company.  After calling Fleetwood, they told me of the Delay Transfer Relay located under the Bathroom Sink Counter on a side wall.  I found the relay would not operate.  Got a new one and installed.  Now I had Power to the RV Breakers.  Only one problem, A/C units would not run, they will run on Shore power but not on Gen power.  I ask Fleetwood and they said the transfer relay should do the trick.  Well, I have two Gen power outputs, on is 20 am and one is 15 amp.  To make a long story short.  I started tracing the 20 Amp Leg into the RV.  The wire was Orange and the 15 amp was white.  I followed the orange wire up behind the Breaker Box DC power fuses.  There I found the other Transfer Switch, the 20 Amp one with a much larger Relay.  It was not operating.  I found the Delay circuit was not working at all.  Wired around it for a manual operation and now all is good.  The key is finding the Both Transfer Switches if you have two Generator Outputs.  Here is my video on how and where the Relay is located.  Good Luck!

(Moderator edit: ad supported link removed)

Back
Top Bottom