Generator Won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes lots of folks - especially Winnie owners - have reported voltage-related starting problems with their QD generators. A lot of them said the fix was to replace the main power cable to the generator with a heavier gauge cable. Several have stated that, in their opinion, Winnie used too thin of a cable.

I have occasionally experienced generator starting problems due to low voltage while boondocking, but holding down the Battery Boost switch always got the generator running.

RE: your discharging batteries... if the battery disconnect-switches are on, the House and Chassis batteries should be charging when plugged into shore-power.

Kev

I tried to push the stop button and then start it still just the clicking when the toggle is pushed in both directions.  I'm now really thinking my problem is voltage related.  I now noticed my inverter is "not responding".  Tomorrow I am going to remove the metal covers over the inverter to check all of the wires and cables.  I'm pretty sure I wasted a bunch of money on batteries and a bunch of time tearing apart the gen. :)

Attachments

• EMS.docx
    191.9 KB · Views: 8
Is it possible to take your everyday driver car, get close to Generator, take some jumper cables, completely bypass your rig / and cables / and see if it starts that way?  Sometimes it's just that one crappy connection.

That is possible and I might have to do that.  Right now we have identified a FIRMS software problem between the Magnum 2800 inverter and the inverter control panel.  I have been working with a Magnum/Precision Control technician to resolve this issue first.  This is a known problem with this control panel and I am currently in a 6 hour battery test with the control panel removed to determine if the problem is with the control panel or the inverter itself.  Once I have the inverter issue resolved that "might" also resolve my gen problem.  I'm hoping the only problem with the gen has been a lack of power all along and there isn't actually anything wrong with it. Fingers crossed.

Happy New Year!!  Now that the holiday's have passed and my kids have gone back to their homes I am back at it.  As I stated before I did have an inverter remote panel FIRM ware issue that I had to resolve before I could go any further on the generator.  I replaced the inverter remote MM-RC25 (which should have NEVER been installed in the first place) with an ME-RC50 which corrected my power issue.  Now that I have full power from all of the batteries I was hopeful that would correct my generator not starting - no joy.  I have an appointment to take it in on Wednesday.  Hopefully it will turn out to be something small that I just didn't find.

Last update - I received a call from my shop this morning regarding the generator not starting.  Long story short there is absolutely nothing wrong with the generator, (whew) it was operator error.  When I was attempting to start the generator I held the start button down until the light went solid red and then I pushed the start button up to start it - click, click, click.  The mechanic explained to me this morning that pushing the button down is a warmer not the glow plugs.  Pushing the button up and the initial click, click, click is the glow plugs and that the generator has a 15 second start delay for the glow plugs.  This is the learning curve of going from a gas to a diesel, however, with that said I read the entire users manual cover to cover.  I read the trouble shooting guides and I called Onan customer service and spoke directly to an Onan mechanic.  Nothing in any Onan literature and nothing from the Onan mechanic said anything about a 15 second start delay when I press the start button.  On a side note if this never occurred I would not have identified the inverter control panel FIRM ware issue which would have created other issues later.  They are going to give the generator a full preventive maintenance today and I will go pick it up later. ;) Best ending I could have hoped for!

I BIG thank you to everybody who gave me advice and suggestions on what to look at!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom