Genturi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John From Detroit said:
Ok facts and myths (Fiction)
Sound: it changes not so much the volume as the quality (Deeper throater less annoying) it also moves it up more which may appear to lower it (not to me though)

Fumes. It takes exhaust fumes and more importantly Exhaust chemicals.  and sends them up to roof level or above.. As the gas is HOT it continues to rise so it does not enter the RV and never becomes a problem. 

The above are facts

The myth/LIE/Falsehood:  is that the air conditioner will "Suck in" or the vents will "SUCK  IN' the Exhaust gas
The A/C is sealed as far as inside/outside air is concerned. it can not suck in anything as it has no sucker.. And the fans are EXHAUST fans for the most part. Oh yes Fantastic fans makes a model that can go either way.. but if you are worried just set it to blow. not suck.  Even if it is sucking it wont' suck exhaust gas as it's at least 4 feet from the pipe and below it.

So those are the fake warnings I commented on. As I said. Impossible.

I think John prob makes some good points.  Certainly about the AC.  There are potentials IMO though with of the "myths" re fans blowing in.  Temperature inversions, light drafts blowing in just the wrong direction...or absolutely zero wind....  But I'd agree very likely minimal if at all...and very unlikely.
Another similar potential would be just the open roof vent not blowing or drawing... if it were close and all the other cards stacked wrong.

The Genturi draws fresh air up the tube along with the exhaust fumes, so I'd expect the CO concentration level is significantly reduced at the top compared to the raw exhaust at the bottom. The warm exhaust will also continue to rise above the RV in still air, and any breeze at all will tend to dissipate it. All in all, I think any CO risk from an open roof vent is either minimal or virtually non-existent except possibly under some rare and unusual circumstances. I've heard and read many suppositions about what could occur using a Genturi, but not one report from someone that was actually using one with an open vent and had a CO alarm go off. On the other hand, I've seen numerous reports of folks that did have CO alarm alerts when running their genny for extended periods without a Genturi attached.

I might add on my RV the slight (I consider it impossible) chances are offset by the certainty of Exhaust fumes getting inside without it  Even with slides in it takes but 2 hours to set off the CO alarm. faster with slides out. UNLESS i hook up the Genturi. then I've hit 25 hours on a couple occasions and no annoying beeps from the detector .

A thought I had when I was first rigging up my genturi was that I wish the factory would just build one in a permanent type of full time install for the genny....seems like a no brainer. So much better for quick overnights such as walmart parking lot when I'm not going to get the thing a=out and hang the jury-rig on the side of the MH just to pull it back down in the AM

You wouldn't want a Genturi hanging off the side while going down the road no matter how well it was attached since it would make the coach wider than the allowed 102" max. Mirrors and other road safety equipment are exempt, and awnings are high enough that the DOT also allows them, but a 3" pipe spaced out from the side running bottom to top wouldn't cut it. If your generator is mounted close to the rear like mine, then it would be possible to rig a Genturi like setup up the back of the coach with a bit of exhaust replumbing.

Some of the events we attend pack us in pretty tightly, and the Genturi has been one of our favorite accessories.  Keeps both us and the neighbors happy.  I've run our gas genny for hours with all of ceiling vents open (some blowing out) and never noticed even the slightest smell of exhaust.  Given where our default exhaust pipe is located, we can't open the windows on that side without it. 

It's a must-have, in my opinion.

The outer tube isn't PVC, It's a plastic blend that stays stiff at higher temperatures.  I tried making a Genturi out of standard black plastic PVC and it just flopped around like a wet noodle once the exhaust gasses heated it up.

NY_Dutch said:
You wouldn't want a Genturi hanging off the side while going down the road no matter how well it was attached since it would make the coach wider than the allowed 102" max. Mirrors and other road safety equipment are exempt, and awnings are high enough that the DOT also allows them, but a 3" pipe spaced out from the side running bottom to top wouldn't cut it. If your generator is mounted close to the rear like mine, then it would be possible to rig a Genturi like setup up the back of the coach with a bit of exhaust replumbing.

Of course...I wasn't meaning a genturi specifically.

more like a properly engineered pipe

blw2 said:
Of course...I wasn't meaning a genturi specifically.

more like a properly engineered pipe

The problem is that the pipe would have to be either at the back of the RV or built flush into the sidewall to meet the width limits. That presents a pretty significant design challenge. And then there's the issue of the generator manufacturers prohibiting using after market exhaust extensions, likely voiding the warranty. I do like the idea, I just don't see it as practical for the limited market that would be willing to pay for it.

I believe the Genturi avoids the exhaust extension issue because there's an air gap between the right angle pipe and the plastic riser.  No real way to build excessive back pressure.
I also think that this air gap would make the thing not work properly while moving down the road(not that it would really matter in that case).

Old_Crow said:
I believe the Genturi avoids the exhaust extension issue because there's an air gap between the right angle pipe and the plastic riser.  No real way to build excessive back pressure.
I also think that this air gap would make the thing not work properly while moving down the road(not that it would really matter in that case).

I agree there's no actual "extension" issue with the Genturi, Wally, but Onan doesn't see it that way. I suspect the prohibition is simply lawyer speak that covers all manor of potential attachments people might install.

NY_Dutch said:
I agree there's no actual "extension" issue with the Genturi, Wally, but Onan doesn't see it that way. I suspect the prohibition is simply lawyer speak that covers all manor of potential attachments people might install.

So, no chromed out zoomie exhaust for the generator then?  Aww, shucks.

I have never even heard of a problem due to "Extending" with the Grn-Turi. in theory the curve may add a tiny bit of back pressure and of course the doomsayers yammer about it all day long. But I've never heard of a problem in 14 years of owning one and close to 20 of reading forums.

My thanks to the neighbors that have used one near us. I have noticed folks that smile as I connect mine in close quarters. Small price to pay for you and your neighbors comfort and safety.

Cheers

Old_Crow said:

This for some reason makes me remember the old PA-23-150 Piper Apache I flew some hours in a long time ago.  An old twin engine airplane...actually the first light twin marketed as a general aviation private plane, as I recall... & I want to say the one I flew most was a 1954 model...it's first year
anyway
It was equipped with thrust augmenter tubes.  I remember Piper claimed they added a few HP of thrust &/or a few knots of speed (I don't recall the numbers and can't find it now online)..... basically short genturi like tubes on the exhaust pipes
https://awi-ami.com/pa-23-150-160-s-n-1152-and-up-exhaust-system.html

blw2 said:
This for some reason makes me remember the old PA-23-150 Piper Apache I flew some hours in a long time ago.  An old twin engine airplane...actually the first light twin marketed as a general aviation private plane, as I recall... & I want to say the one I flew most was a 1954 model...it's first year
anyway
It was equipped with thrust augmenter tubes.  I remember Piper claimed they added a few HP of thrust &/or a few knots of speed (I don't recall the numbers and can't find it now online)..... basically short genturi like tubes on the exhaust pipes
https://awi-ami.com/pa-23-150-160-s-n-1152-and-up-exhaust-system.html
The Cessna 310 and the Beech T-34 do something similar. I never flew an Apache, but it's successor, the Aztec, was a wonderful bird, and used cowl flaps rather than the augmenters.

I used to think the apache was a good airframe, just significantly under powered with the 150's.  It was large and comfortable...and nice flying in my opinion....if only it had more power.  As it was it was very bad. 
I flew the larger engined (160 I think it was) a bit and it was only negligibly better.

I'd love to have a good condition round nosed apache but with the bigger aztec engines.... like 250HP each side or more...if that were possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom