Genuine Dexter Grease Seal or replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yavne

Hello folks,

In previous years I was using Dexter parts/seal for yearly maintenance. This year I cannot find the genuine seal locally, only some other brand.
The other brand supposed to be the same size. From your experience, does it matter in this case?

Thanks!

I use what ever the house brand is on my rv and my non rv service trailers. No issues

I tend to buy this stuff online at Amazon, I read the reviews. Sometimes aftermarket is better than oem. I guess I pay better attention to bearings than seals. Now if you are the type that use the zerk and pump grease in, I'd pay a bit more attention to the quality of the seals.

I use Timken bearings, and National/Timken seals. You don't say what rating axles you have or if you know the seal number. This chart may help.

If you have a 3000 lb to 4400 lb axle the seal is a Dexter 010-019-00 which is a National 473336 which is a double lip and a tensioning spring.

Charles

Attachments

• 0wm13-Microsoft_Word_-_Table_of_Trailer_Bearing_Part_Numbers_1.jpg
    0wm13-Microsoft_Word_-_Table_of_Trailer_Bearing_Part_Numbers_1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 2
I tend to buy this stuff online at Amazon, I read the reviews. Sometimes aftermarket is better than oem. I guess I pay better attention to bearings than seals. Now if you are the type that use the zerk and pump grease in, I'd pay a bit more attention to the quality of the seals.

It's good point! No I don't use the pump, I prefer to open it, to see what's going on.

I use Timken bearings, and National/Timken seals. You don't say what rating axles you have or if you know the seal number. This chart may help.

If you have a 3000 lb to 4400 lb axle the seal is a Dexter 010-019-00 which is a National 473336 which is a double lip and a tensioning spring.

Charles

Thank you!

I didn't know there is a cross reference between different brands. Just to confirm, Dexter 010-019 will be copy of National 473336 and Transcom 171255TB, right?

It's 4400 lb axle.

Dexter 600-8000 lb axle parts catalog

Catalog page 48 (PDF page 49) is the 4400 lb axle hub groups breakdown, showing the seal is 010-019-00 (item #1)

I honestly do not remember where I finally came up with the National number, but have used this seal on two different tandem 3500 lb axle travel trailers plus a single axle utility trailer. Dimensionally they are exactly the same and the National seal is way above the Dexter seal in quality.

I assembled the list using the Dexter catalog and a bunch of other references to get set numbers, etc. Buy the sets from Summit Racing way cheaper than many other places and you are assured they are real Timken, they are too big to be fooling with fake stuff. Amazon stuff from resellers, you never know.

Google to the rescue

010-019-00 – Grease Seal Double Lip (1.720″ X 2.565″)
Seal Cross-Reference
Dexter #Transcom #National #
010-019-00171255TB473336

Charles

Dexter 600-8000 lb axle parts catalog

Catalog page 48 (PDF page 49) is the 4400 lb axle hub groups breakdown, showing the seal is 010-019-00 (item #1)

I honestly do not remember where I finally came up with the National number, but have used this seal on two different tandem 3500 lb axle travel trailers plus a single axle utility trailer. Dimensionally they are exactly the same and the National seal is way above the Dexter seal in quality.

I assembled the list using the Dexter catalog and a bunch of other references to get set numbers, etc. Buy the sets from Summit Racing way cheaper than many other places and you are assured they are real Timken, they are too big to be fooling with fake stuff. Amazon stuff from resellers, you never know.

Google to the rescue

010-019-00 – Grease Seal Double Lip (1.720″ X 2.565″)
Seal Cross-Reference
Dexter #Transcom #National #
010-019-00171255TB473336

Charles

Appreciate it, Charles!

btw, a few years ago I came across some discussion that Timken bearing grease much better than other brands. Is it really so? If so, how can I see the difference?

I'm in Canada, I buy MotoMaster Wheel Bearing Grease, it's about half price of Timken. Any reason to pay more for Timken?

Appreciate it, Charles!

btw, a few years ago I came across some discussion that Timken bearing grease much better than other brands. Is it really so? If so, how can I see the difference?

I'm in Canada, I buy MotoMaster Wheel Bearing Grease, it's about half price of Timken. Any reason to pay more for Timken?
Any high-temperature bearing grease is sufficient, just don't mix types in the same hub.
If I tell you xyz wheel bearing grease is the best, how can you determine that for sure??

Check out Brakes 4 Trailers. I purchased my genuine Dexter seals for 3.00 each (I purchased a few extra) plus shipping around 6.00. They were 7.00 each on Amazon with prime.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom