Getting BETTER cell phone reception on the road....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkperez

I have no idea whether this is a "tech" issue, a "5th wheel" issue, or a "general" issue, but:

We travel to places where cell phones have poor reception.  I may get 1 or maybe 2 bars, but I frequently am stuck with gprs or edge (which I think is 2g and a lot slower than 3g).  We're often only a half mile or even a few hundred yards from a point where we HAD more bars and/or SIGNIFICANTLY faster data speeds.  I'm looking for a way to improve the operation of my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone (NO, CHANGING CARRIERS IS NOT A OPTION - I'm stuck with 'em for the next 22 months, and my wife's work phone is also T-Mobile) so I can get at LEAST 3g or preferably 4G when I'm just a little too far away.  In one case locally, we're right on the edge of having usable service, but it doesn't quite reach...

The problem is that I frequently need to help clients even when on the road, and in recent years my wife's data needs for work have increased.  And the reality is that we aren't able to completely unplug from the world even when we'd like.  SO, I'm hoping people in here have some good ways to get better speed, AFFORDABLY!  My preference would be something that DOESN'T require plugging an antenna into the SII since it apparently is VERY prone to breakage, and once the external antenna port is messed up, you get NO signal, externally OR internally.

So, ideas?

We have a Wilson cell antenna, as well as, a compatible signal amplifier that helps a lot (see caveat). Ours has a proximity pad that that props on the seat back near the phone when using for voice or that you sit the phone next to when using for data or as a hot spot. The system we have (and you can search for different options and models) will boost a weak signal into usable, both data and voice, but it will not create a signal where there is none. I mount the antenna on a collapsible 15 foot pole that I secure to the motorhome mirror with bungees. Mounting lower does not seem to help nearly as much in most cases. Using the antenna without the amplifier is not nearly as effective, either.  You may have to be very careful where you park if you absolutely have to have a signal. Consult your coverage maps.

Google the Wilson 'sleek'.  It works for me & many others.

OK, I can now make this a more specific question:

For those of you using amplifiers and/or antennas, or whatever.  When camped in the Yellowstone campground at Fishing Bridge (the only campground with RV facilities at Yellowstone), does your equipment give you a USABLE data/cell connection?

We recently had your problem (with AT&T) while in North Moab. We bought a Trac Phone (~$15) and 60 minutes of time ($20). The phone was on Verizon (we checked before purchase). The solution worked!

We also have a Wilson antenna and amplifier as recommended above (at home). It certainly works if there is a signal.

In all cases, getting the antenna higher will offer the largest benefit because phone signals are line of sight (LOS). If the phone/antenna can't see the tower, there will be low or no reception.

Ernie

does the Trac Phone have a decent data signal?  'Cause that's at LEAST as important as making calls. 

How does the amplifier/antenna thing work?  Does it just create a wi-fi hotspot?  Do people doing this
on the road just put the antenna on a pole or something so they can elevate it on their RV? 

So, again, anybody...  Fishing Bridge...  NO cell signal from ANY carrier as far as I know.  So Verizon isn't
there, nor AT&T or T-mobile, or whoever.  You have to go 3 miles from the campground and by the lakeshore
you can get a signal. 

Trac Phones can be had for either ATT GSM  or Verizon CDMA networks. Standard amplifiers work fine with them. My wife has a GSM model and we keep encountering places where it has no service but my Verizon phone works fine. I want her to get a cdma model so it uses Verizon instead of ATT, but she likes the phone she has.

An amplifier is not wifi - it simply re-broadcasts the amplified cellular radio signal. Some models can re-broadcast through an antenna that can cover a sizable area (a room or even a whole house), while others have a very tiny antenna that works only in close proximity to the phone.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Gary addressed the Trac Phone question correctly. As for the phone amplifiers/antennas, etc., I'd recommend you contact the 3G store. They carry all of the amplifiers and are very good at resolving any questions or problems you may have.

http://3gstore.com

There is a representative with a presence here, but I don't recall his name.

Ernie

Being woefully ignorant of which phone is which, what does GSM versus CDMA mean?  And as far as networks, when I'm in East Overshoe and the only thing that shows up is "Union Telephone", how does that translate to Verizon or AT&T?  And where does T-Mobile fit into all this, or does it?

As far as the Trac-Fone how does it relate to data?  Don't you have to buy minutes on them?  Which would make it pretty difficult when I (or my wife) is connected for several hours at a time, wouldn't it?  And how would the Trac-Fone do anything with Verizon or AT&T that I can't do now if I have a signal?  And if I DON'T have a signal, how would Verizon or AT&T do anything different than my current phone?  Don't they all work on everybody's network?  I periodically get AT&T as my network, and it doesn't make any difference to my phone.  Are there places where a Verizon phone would work that some other phone wouldn't?

Tom's reference is a good starting point, but it's about 5 years old.  The short answer is a GSM only phone (AT&T, T-Mobile) won't work on a CDMA network (Sprint, Verizon) and vice versa.  There are phones that have both GSM and CDMA radios in them called global phones that can be used on any network, if allowed by the vendor.  Verizon has some models that can be used in the US on their CDMA network and overseas on the GSM networks.  A further complication is the move to LTE, which right now is data only from Verizon (and coming from Sprint) but will eventually carry both voice and data.

OK, makes sense now...  That explains why my T-mobile phone doesn't work some places where a Verizon phone does.

From all my rummaging it looks like the Wilson RV setup would be my best choice...  No antenna to plug in...

I surely do wish I could find somebody that could tell me whether or not it worked at Fishing Bridge campground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom