Getting started - Need directions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

osgoor

Hello,

My wife and I are just beginning to look at the feasibility of taking a year off and RV'ng full-time. We don't have a lot of money to spend on an RV but don't want something so small that we will hate it after a few weeks. We are looking at Class A' MHs and just looked at a 2012 Coachmen Mirada 32DS. We liked the layout and storage. Beyond that we don't know if coachmen is a good manufacturer or is there an equivalent model by another manufacturer that would have better quality?

We are not attached to any brand but our budget needs to be less than $100k. Should we look at used MHs? If so, what ones would you suggest?

Thanks

Definitely buy a used motorhome, as it's unlikely to be your last one.  Lots of nice used models available in your budget, but keep some of that budget for likely repairs and maintenance that will be needed.  The ones you want to look at are as many as possible paying special attention to the floor plan and livability of each.  Brand is of minor importance.  Personally, we think 36' is a minimum length for full time just to get sufficient storage.

Coachman is a "cheap" builder, focused on the low-priced market. Low end manufacturers cut corners where it is not visible, and use lower quality cabinetry, upholstery and hardware.  That doesn't make them unacceptable for light duty use, but I would strongly recommend buying a used model of a mid or high end brand. Especially since you will be living in it fulltime, which is definitely not light duty use. Besides, little things that you would ignore on a weekend trip can become major annoyances if faced every day. I would suggest looking for a late model used Fleetwood Southwind or Pace Arrow, a Monaco Monarch, a Winnebago Adventurer or a Itasca Suncruiser.

I know people who live in a 32 footer, but most appreciate more room when fulltiming. 34-36 ft doesn't seem like a lot more, but it can make a substantial difference in things like bathroom space and closets.

You are right to focus on a floor plan that suits your wants and needs, but as a newcomer you probably won't guess right on what is ultimately important to YOU. And nobody here can tell you in advance what you must have either - we all have different priorities and opinions. Best we can say are things like "most people underestimate how important bathroom & shower space is" and "take time to imagine where all your pots/pans/dishes/hobby gear/clothing.etc. will go BEFORE you buy", but that still leaves the final analysis to you.

I am a 9 year full timer living in a 32 foot with two cats. I agree with all the above, you really need a 36 footer at least. Mainly due to storage. You will be taking your whole world with you and that takes space.

I also agree with Ned about getting a used RV first. You really don't know what you want in an RV right now and you won't really know until you have used one for a while. A lot of people use their first RV for a year or so and then upgrade. Buying an less expensive used RV first means you won't lose as much when you upgrade.

You also might wish to rent an RV for a few weekends before pulling the trigger. You will learn a whole lot you need to know about RVs by renting first.

I also agree that floorplan is the most important consideration when purchasing an RV.

Here is an article from the library to help you get started full timing:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

Thanks to all for the feedback. We are planning on renting one in the next few months to get the feel for the space and driving. We are open to used vehicles but I am concerned as to warranty. Should we go that route I am planning on hiring an independent inspector to go over it for me. I appreciate the feedback as well on the various used models. It helps narrow our focus.

Used if it concerns you, get a service plan/extended warranty. Both new and used you will find have some problems to contend with. As Gary stated, plan a cushion for repairs.

You house always needs some maintenance, Imagine putting wheels under it and driving it down a bumpy road. There is always something.

Don't let it discourage you, Help is here and troubleshooting is half the battle.

Used Coaches that were well maintained are usually a better deal than new in some respects, the bugs have been worked out. Definitely get any coach you are interested in inspected.

Steve

Since my initial posting my wife and I have been looking at 5th wheels. The headroom is very nice and it felt more like a real home. So, now we are going back and forth between the MH and 5th wheeler. The truck I now have, (Toyota Tacoma), will not pull any 5th wheel that we would like to live in. I wuold need to sell the truck, buying a bigger one and then the 5th wheel. We go back and forth between a use MH that costs x dollars and a used truck and used 5th wheeler that when combined would cost about the same as the MH.

Care to help justify either direction?

Thanks

Hi,

A couple of thoughts;

When you stop in the rain (or even keep going) for a potty break, you really appreciate the Motor Home.

If you travel a lot, the Motor Home is easier to drive (even towing) and to set up than a Fiver. Conversely if you stay in one place most of the time, the Fiver may have more room/Storage.

With a fiver, your daily driver is a heavy duty pickup.

Length is important for storage; on the other hand, adding 4 to 10 feet often results in a bigger couch rather than a king size bed and larger bath/shower. If you entertain a lot, this may be important. If you don't, you'll probably throw out the couch in favor of recliners anyway.

Hope this gets you thinking,

Ernie

Buying used in an RV is different than in a car - simply because they don't get used as much.  Simple question to ask is how many miles and how was it used?  Was it a "northern territory" unit?  Might be worth going online and looking for campers located in areas where a lot of folks retire.  We live in Virginia, yet have had friends drive to Florida to buy units.  Not unheard of in the land of over-the-horizon driving.  Warranty is a must, and remember that a motorhome is a collection of components and many of the featured items have their own, plus manufacturers warranties.  You may not have to see the Coachmen service center for drivetrain, A/C or fridge problems, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom