GFCI outlets tripping on house when I plug in my trailer????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible that the problem for the OP is that RVs have floating grounds so that they can cause the GFI in the garage to occasionally think that there is a ground fault?
Not sure what you mean by a "floating ground".  An RV on shore power is grounded through the shore connection (code requirement). If using a generator or inverter, the genset or inverter provides the ground. However, it's true there is no physical (external) earth ground when the RV is not on shore power.

Is the reason that RV's do not have GFI outlets because they work with a floating ground?
All Rvs built in the last 20 years or so do have GFCIs,  at least one and often two circuits. The electrical code requires them in the same places in an RV as it does in fixed site residences, e.g. outdoors, bath, etc.

If GFIs are so important  (and required) in homes why are there no problems with people getting severe shocks in their RVs?

Why do you think that RVers get fewer shocks than fixed residence users? We see reports of shocks here from time to time.  The reason the code requires GFCIs is that a"severe shock" is potentially fatal. Same reason that CO and LP gas detectors are required. Nobody wants to be the admittedly rare case where death results.

I stand corrected.  Silly me! There are GFI outlets in my bathrooms and kitchen.  I assumed there were none since there is no way to connect to an earth ground when not connected to shore power.  Apparently GFIs can work in this situation.

Misconceptions about GFCI function and requirements are rampant.  A GFCI does not depend at all on having an "earth ground" to work. Or any kind of ground at all. They can be used in old time homes that have no ground wiring at all.

A GFCI measures the current flow in both hot and neutral wires and trips if they are not within 60 ma of being equal. If the neutral isn't carrying the same current (amps) as the hot, the current must be going somewhere else, aka a "short circuit".

Alfa38User said:
(Up to 6 non-ground fault equipped outlets can be daisy-chained to one GFCI outlet and be protected.

I've heard members use the number 6 quite often. Is there any reason why you couldn't have more on 6 on that circuit? In my 2 car garage, I one GFCI and it powers up 10 other regular receptacles. I have one just about every 4'. I very rarely use 2 at one time. I did it this way so I would always have a receptacle close by.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom