gibson banks comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cicha

High all, I need to replace the exhaust manifold on our 91 Chevy 454 Efi, I've been researching the banks power pack and the complete gibson systems. I wondered if anyone thought the banks system  is worth the extra grand. thks, chuck and cissy

There are a lot of folks who think the Banks system or the Ultra Power system or the ______ system is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  However I still remain unconvinced.  Now the bigger exhaust and larger air intake of the various systems may well increase horsepower and most likely will not turn your drive shaft into a pretzel (more HP can do that)

However the full system includes other things, changes in timing, changes in fuel delivery, (Changes in the engine control computer program or settings) and the result is that damage can indeed occure if one is not very, very, careful.

I suspect if I were replacing the exhaust though... I might well go with a bigger bore system just because I suspect it will give a bit more (though not as much as the full upgrade) with less posibility of negative side effects.

Cicha,

Either one will provide significant performance improvement; not increased gas mileage. Personally, I'd go with the Gibson system, and use the money saved on something else. If your system already has a 3" i.d. straight-thru resonator, I suggest you leave it in place or the sound may be too loud on long drives. If it's less than 3", get rid of it, as it will be the bottleneck in the system. 

I have Gibson headers and 3" exhaust and am very satisfied.  My logic was, as Karl said, that the additional monies were better spent elsewhere.

I'm not an expert like John in Detroit so I know nothing about changing timing, sliced bread, drive shafts or pretzels but I am happy with the performance gains.  lou 

I thought I would chime in since I've recently installed the Banks Stinger system on my 96 454. The stinger only includes the exhaust and mufller from the headers back as well as the cold air ram induction and it ran me $900. There was only a slight increase in performance going from the Stinger to the full system with the headers, but the price difference was enough to make me satisfied with slightly less gains. I am completely satisfied with the performance of my addition. In addition to the ease of installation and the service I recieved after the sale, I would buy again from Banks.

Theres always a BUT somewhere.  if I were comparing like systems, with like gains in power, I would go with the less expensive of the two. I can't see where there would be a noticable difference in perforrmance gains as long as the systems are similar.

As someone has already mentioned the power increase is noticable. You're not going to be doing wheelies from the stop light, but when you get on a hill that you are familiar with, you should notice the difference. For me, there was a sliight increase in gas mileage, but that was because I was able to use OD much more and not have to keep the RPM's up in 3rd gear. Again all things being equal, I don't know that you will see a dramatic increase in your mileage.

Finally, if your looking at the full system, you may want to look at the stinger and see if it will suit your needs, I know its a whole lot cheaper than going with the full blown system, and I don't think adding the headers increase the performance gains all that much? Just one mans opinion.

I have the Banks Power pack but it is new to me so nothing to compare it to. I'm having the drivers side header replaced as I type, as the lower inside tube split a foot long razor cut in it. Banks did send me a replacement within a week Calif. to Nj but I had to pay freight $79.00 and header cost $475.00 which they will credit me for when they get the old one back another $79.00 freight. The headers are warr. for life so you will never have to worry about a manifold cost again just labor and freight. My Dutch Star came with the system so I didn't put the cash out to start with but I think after hearing the nightmare stories about exhaust manifolds I would replace the Manifolds with headers Gibson if it carries the lifetime warr. or if not I would go with Banks for the warr. and HP gain.  GOOD LUCK.

Mikeeg 

I don't think adding the headers increase the performance gains all that much?
Yes and no. Properly designed same-length tube headers will give a substantial power gain due to the scavenging effect of the exhaust pulses, but this occurs within a narrow rpm range. If you're not operating in that range, the performance increase will be little; if any.
the lower inside tube split a foot long razor cut in it.
This is unusual, but not unheard of, and is usually caused by mounting stresses; less frequently a defect in the tubing seam weld. When assembling the system, the sealing flanges should have enough clearance so that they are drawn up tight by the bolts; not so close that you have to pry them apart to get the pieces to mate. When that happens, the combination of heat and the additional stress can split the tube. When you get the new header, you may want to adjust the mounting points of the down-tube, and/or exhaust pipe and muffler hangers so you have a little wiggle room. Once you have it installed, run the engine at idle for 10-15 minutes (blipping the throttle occasionally to prevent loading), then drive slowly for another 15 minutes or so to bring the system up to temperature gradually, before "getting into it". That will help relieve any stresses. 

We appreciate all the input, I'm thinking of using the ceramic coated headers from Thorley as they claim they cut down on the heat around the doghouse. The only draw back that I can see is they don't have a muffler back system. Thks. chuck and cissy

I have Thorely Headers, theres a topic on them already so take a look.  As for the muffler back system I'm not following you.  If you don't have headers or are changing the brand you will more than likely have to have the system reconfigured anyway.  When I bought my MH with the exhaust system on it already the previous owner said he had the headers put on and wasn't to impressed with the performance.  He ended up replacing the system back from them and the larger diameter made the difference with high flow RV muffler.

I'm thinking of using the ceramic coated headers from Thorley as they claim they cut down on the heat around the doghouse.
Nonsense. There are exhaust insulating wraps that will keep the headers and down pipes cooler than the back end of the exhaust, but ceramic coating jus' makes it look purrdy. Better off getting chrome-plated headers. Don't do much of anythin', but turn really cool shades of blue! :D 

John In Detroit said:
There are a lot of folks who think the Banks system or the Ultra Power system or the ______ system is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  However I still remain unconvinced.  Now the bigger exhaust and larger air intake of the various systems may well increase horsepower and most likely will not turn your drive shaft into a pretzel (more HP can do that)

However the full system includes other things, changes in timing, changes in fuel delivery, (Changes in the engine control computer program or settings) and the result is that damage can indeed occure if one is not very, very, careful.

I suspect if I were replacing the exhaust though... I might well go with a bigger bore system just because I suspect it will give a bit more (though not as much as the full upgrade) with less posibility of negative side effects.

John:

I had a banks Power Pack on our last coach, a 98 Pace Arrow with a Ford 460. IIRC there were no changes to fuel or timing, only the intake/exhaust system and the Traanscommand Module that prevents tranny slipping by upping shift pressures. No chip is supplied by banks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom