Glacier NP travel route recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAHipskind

Will be going from Mackinaw, MI through Teddy Roosevelt NP to West Glacier, MT in mid-September. Is highway 2 manageable in a 40 ft diesel (350 HP, Cat C7) w/toad? Will be going on further south to West Yellowstone, MT.  Suggestions appreciated!

Can't help much on the first part of your route, but be aware that mid-September can be snowy in the Glacier area. You might also have only wonderful fall days, but don't count on it! As for Yellowstone, the park campgrounds start closing by mid-September, and there is always the possibility of snow. I would actually still encourage you to take the trip even with the snow possibility because most of the tourists are gone and the animals are beginning to head back to the valleys from the high country. Just be prepared for cold weather (mid 20s at night) and the potential of a bit of snow.

Although I haven't driven that route in a motorhome I have ridden it on a bike several times, and route 2 is pretty much the same as it is in the UP. Going across the the northern plains can get a little boring, but there is no better place to see the the breadbasket of the US.
We will be making almost the same trip late in September in our 36G leaving from Toledo and I have no second thoughts about the route.

I went to Glacier for the specific reason to ride the Going to the Sun road that crosses the mountain. It was well worth the time just for that experience.

Corky

Thanks! I am correct in assuming that the 'Going to the Sun' road is different from highway 2, correct?  Doesn't sound like a road for a largish DP.

Wikipedia: '"The two lane Going-to-the-Sun Road is quite narrow and winding with hairpin turns, especially west of Logan Pass. Consequently, vehicle lengths over the highest portions of the roadway are limited to no longer than 21 feet (6.4 m) and no wider than 8 feet (2.4 m) between Avalanche Creek and Rising Sun picnic areas which are located many miles below Logan Pass, on the west and east sides of the Pass, respectively. Vehicles over 10 feet (3.0 m) in height may not have sufficient clearance due to rock overhangs when driving west between Logan Pass and the hairpin turn called the Loop."

Yes- you are correct. There are limits on the Going to the Sun road, I think it's somewhere around 19' to 21'.
For sure no motorhomes, trailers and such, but well worth unhitching the toad to see.

Corky

While visiting Glacier a couple of years ago, we took the red car tour.  Very scenic and nice to  not be driving as so much to see.  Had to make reservations but such a nice ride!
Have fun.  Fall is beautiful there.

Back
Top Bottom