Glass Insurancee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scroxfo

Question on Glass Insurance for my coach.
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Excursion with a split windshield. I have had to replace 3 pieces of glass in the past 12,000 miles @ $1400.00 per.
1) I'm I just real lucky or average?
2) Is their a supplemental glass insurance you can recommend?

We're going with the FMCA Insurance they offer.  We priced it on our 2007 American Eagle and it would save us about $400 a year and
the FMCA coverage included Glass coverage at the deductible rate you choose.  We will likely go with $500 deductible over the $1k that
they always recommend. 

We just purchased a 2014 Phaeton and I am gettin guote from FMCA for our new coach.  Check out FMCA Insurance.  If you're not a member
of FMCA, I highly recommend it. . . . .

THE Big Larry

Bad luck, I'd say, though we've experienced windshield damage several times over the last 18 years on both coaches and cars. Since 2002, I think we've replaced 3 coach windshield (halves) and three car windshields. That's on about  320k miles combined, including Alaska travel.

Glass coverage is a feature of your Comprehensive (aka "other than collision") coverage and may be included or an extra cost option, depending on the insurer and the state where you are insured (insurers are regulated at the state level).  Florida policies, for example, always include windshield coverage but other glass may be optional or not offered at all.  Not all insurers offer full glass coverage, so shop around.  I don't know of any who just offer glass to anybody - it's typically an adjunct to your other coverage.

What state is your RV registered and insured in? Florida and NY for example, have statutes requiring no deductible on comprehensive windshield glass coverage.

Just replaced half of the windshield glass on our 2002 Adventurer.  Cost was $1250 totally covered by insurance.  The premium fee for the glass option was $50 (Nationwide) and there was a $100 deductible but somehow or other I never had to pay that $100 because they told me there is some kind of vanishing deductible plan that I was unaware of.

I am insured through South Dakota. My insurance doesn't offer glass coverage because they don't have to. It's covered under comprehensive as Gary stated. I have had one glass "chip" on my 2 year old rig, but I carry glass repair kits and take care of anything small right away.

SargeW said:
I am insured through South Dakota. My insurance doesn't offer glass coverage because they don't have to. It's covered under comprehensive as Gary stated. I have had one glass "chip" on my 2 year old rig, but I carry glass repair kits and take care of anything small right away.

Which brings up another question....The glass repair kits..Do you have a favorite one to use and any tips on using them?

scroxfo said:
Question on Glass Insurance for my coach.
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Excursion with a split windshield. I have had to replace 3 pieces of glass in the past 12,000 miles @ $1400.00 per.
1) I'm I just real lucky or average?
2) Is their a supplemental glass insurance you can recommend?

Have you paid for those repairs out-of-pocket each time? Ouch.

As others have mentioned, there are numerous (and common) glass coverage that is an option with almost any insurance carrier... whether covered in Comprehensive or a separate glass endorsement/rider. Just make sure you opt in if needed, and I've always carried a $0 deductible on Comprehensive. The premium is usually only a few dollars more, and it's well worth it. Comprehensive generally covers damage that is NOT anyone's fault... "act of God" type stuff like hail, wind, snow, rain, fire, deer, road debris, glass, etc. I've had a Class A windshield and two awnings replaced under RV comprehensive coverage.

Even if it IS someone else's fault but their insurance company is taking their sweet time to accept responsibility and pay, you can file a claim under your own Comprehensive. I did this with my car that caught on fire while being worked on at a GM dealership several years ago, and was totaled. GM gave me a lowball replacement offer which I turned down, and my insurance claim paid me the full value of the car. I had a $250 deductible at that time and later got that amount refunded too, which means insurance probably sued GM and won back the full settlement they had paid me + more.

Gizmo100 said:
Which brings up another question....The glass repair kits..Do you have a favorite one to use and any tips on using them?

Yes, I have used them many times, and have some good advice.  I have found two main types available and the biggest difference between the two is the method of inserting the resin into the windshield. Both type kits have an "aiming cup" that suctions or sticks onto the window directly over the chip or star.

The first type is sold at Walmart and several other auto parts stores. They are my least favorite because the method of inserting the resin into the chip is a "screw in type plunger".  If used on a automotive windshield that is at a 45 degree angle, the screw in plunger works OK as gravity will help the resin flow in the proper direction (towards the glass).  But on a motorhome windshield that can be at about a 90 degree angle, much of the resin will run out of the aiming device and not towards the damaged glass.

The second type has a "syringe" that fits into the aiming tube and then you squeeze the resin into the damaged area which makes it much easier and more effective in filling the damaged area.  They both cost about the same, so the only real difference is the delivery method. 

www.amazon.com/Permatex-09103-Windshield-Repair-Kit/dp/B000ALJ4MY/ref=sr_1_10?crid=4IO5TXXO10L&keywords=glass+repair+kit&qid=1555870171&s=gateway&sprefix=glass+re%2Caps%2C285&sr=8-10

Then if you had a "black light" (which I do not) the resin would dry almost instantly. I just use good old sunlight and it takes a few minutes for the resin to harden. After inserting the resin into the damage, you pull off the aiming  device and put a small piece of plastic  over the area to finish hardening.  When hardened pull off the plastic and use the supplied single edge razor blade to clean off the excess.  The whole process takes about 15 minutes, and can save a bunch of money and time on a windshield replacement.

Speaking of glass coverage I would like to offer a tip to motorhome owners.  When driving through a residential area be sure to watch for those portable basketball goals that folks like to put on the edge of the street with only the goal itself extending out into the street.  The goal is usually the exact height of the near top of the windshield.  Ask me how I know.

scottydl said:
Bill I'm sure it's just a realization you had because you are so incredibly insightful... right?

And I'm sure he even more" incredibly insightful" with the new windshield. ;D

Gizmo100 said:
And I'm sure he even more" incredibly insightful" with the new windshield. ;D
Amen.  I mean it was an entirely clear street on the right hand side - all cars parked on left and car approaching me so I had to hug the right side of the street.  BANG - WHAT THE????? Look in rear view mirror and what should be now setting out in the street but an entire portable basketball goal.  It was left on curb by previous renters as house was empty.  Rental agent says - yeah we planned on moving that out today!  I was prepared to go after their insurance but mine -  Nationwide  - never even asked how it happened and told me I was totally covered.

Back
Top Bottom