Golden Gate Bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfwright

Taken on a day trip from our workamping gig near winters Ca

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 123
Wow , great picture . We were in the SF area for 4 days in  August and never were able to get a picture of the whole bridge  because of fog. Got a lot of part pictures and it was still exciting to see it though.....Alan

In '57 I was on a troop ship on my way home from Japan, and everyone was expecting the highlight of the trip would be crossing under the GG Bridge.  If you were on the top deck, you could faintly see the shadow through the fog.  One of the disappointments of my life.

SeilerBird said:
They rebuilt it already. They have great drugs in SF.
The Golden Gate Bridge is on drugs?  As I creak around the house this morning, I think I want some of what it's on. ;D

Jim Godward said:
In '57 I was on a troop ship on my way home from Japan, .

Do you remember the name of the troop ship? I am betting it was the Gen N.M. S. Walker.  I rode it in 1967 and it was one of the very few troop ships out of mothballs.

Molaker said:
The Golden Gate Bridge is on drugs?  As I creak around the house this morning, I think I want some of what it's on. ;D
No the GGB is not on drugs, the people of SF who rebuilt the bridge are on drugs. :(

halfwright said:
Do you remember the name of the troop ship? I am betting it was the Gen N.M. S. Walker.  I rode it in 1967 and it was one of the very few troop ships out of mothballs.

Boy, I sure do not remember the name but I do remember that it was not the Walker as everyone who had been on it told us how much better it was.  I may have the information "somewhere" but have no idea where it could be.  I do remember it was the same ship that I went over on out of Seattle.  Interesting side story as I was supposed to fly to be in Japan for a specific exercise, I missed it but got to meet the Brigade General as a result.  His staff car met the ship and picked me up.  Interesting day to say the least.

Crossed over that bridge on my may to Vietnam. Landed in SF and was bussed over to Travis AFB. Took the "Mail Plane" out of Travis. Hi, Midway, Wake Is., Guam, Philippines and then Vietnam. 

My 1st view of the GGB was from the flightdeck of the USS Midway.  The tide was in as we sailed out from Alemeda, standing in formation.  It was impressive.  The Midway had a tall mast (Tacan antenna) that folded down to allow clearance under the bridge due to high tide.  That was early 1962.  I'm not sure I had even heard of Vietnam at that time.  Sure did later.

Holy cow!!! That must have been one long antenna!!! The high water navigational clearance on that joker is 220'.

captsteve said:
Holy cow!!! That must have been one long antenna!!! The high water navigational clearance on that joker is 220'.
The Midway was small compared to what's in commission now, but the overall height at the time of decommissioning was 222'3".  Scroll down to the specs.  It may have changed a bit from 1962 to 1992, but I doubt if it changed much.

I looked it up before I posted. I just could not find anything on nominal air draft ( waterline to mast head ) Judging from the prints and given a 38' loaded draft the flight deck must have been close to 100' above the waterline. Impressive for her vintage!

captsteve said:
I looked it up before I posted. I just could not find anything on nominal air draft ( waterline to mast head ) Judging from the prints and given a 38' loaded draft the flight deck must have been close to 100' above the waterline. Impressive for her vintage!
Almost none of the air group aircraft were on board when she left port.  They typically fly aboard later and since we were heading out for quals only, not a WestPac deployment, I'm pretty sure she didn't have a full fuel load or full stores.  So, I doubt if she was drawing the 35' draft shown in specs.  Also, after a bit more research, the Midway had a "super deck" installed sometime in the late 60's or early 70's (after I was aboard) which lowered the flightdeck about 15' from the original height.  This may have reduced the overall height above the water, as well.  Regardless, I saw what I saw.  They did in fact lower the TACAN antenna mast (folded over) when we passed under the GGB in 1962.  And I doubt they would do that if there were no risk of striking the bridge.  BTW - they lowered it again when we pulled back in a week or so later.

Not doubting you for a second Tom. I was just remembering the last time I passed under and it seemed WAY up there. I really had never thought much about vessels that has to be concerned about clearance there.

I found this drawing that shows the tippy-top lighting rod even higher (3rd page).  Total height of 234' 2 3/4" above the keel (I think) with the fully loaded water line at 35'.  Even if it would clear under the bridge, you'd want to duck, I'm sure. :)

You got that right Tom!!! I have dragged my antennas on the bottom of many bridges and it make a horribly scary sound. When you look up you just know the mast is gonna get sheared off!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom