Golf Carts on City Streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onyrlef

In the town next to us ( Richardson, Tx.), where I pick my grandkids up from school, I'd noticed folks traveling around in golf carts on many of the neighborhood streets. Many parents were picking the kids up from school in golf carts.
At first thinking how is this okay for a non syreet legal vehicle, come to find out, in many Texas towns it's legal to operate a golf cart on any street with a speed limit of 35 mph or less.
Not to shabby an idea for our densily populated cookie cutter urban areas in the DFW.

Our town in Illinois allows side by sides as well as golf carts. All of them have to get a city permit and safety inspection. They must have lights, turn signals, brake lights, rear view mirror, and horn.

Many states have laws allowing this, Louisiana passed a law allowing it a few years ago, though I think it requires the owners to carry insurance, and is limited to certain 25 mph residential streets. I know I see them going up and down the streets in our neighborhood all the time, of course they did that in this neighborhood for decades before the state law came about, but we do live near a golf course.

Peachtree City, Georgia, about 20 miles from me, is probably the king of golf cart cities. First created about 1970 as a model community, they have cart paths, if I recall correctly, about 60 miles worth, that run parallel to roads, thru greenspaces, between subdivisions, basically all over. If you look at this PDF map of the city and zoom it to at least 75% or greater you will see the green lines which are cart paths. There are at least three bridges over the state highways or the rail line in addition to numerous tunnels under the two state highways.

The Youtube channel Tom Scott even did a video about PTC.

Charles

I see it around the Palm Springs area, and it's legal. There are a couple additional rules...can't be out after dark if it doesn't conform to other vehicle standards (headlights, signals, etc).

In rural parts here in the Northwest, it's sand lice (SxS) that everyone wants to run on streets. Some places it's legal, and other places it's verboten. Lots of swirl around that.

In the town next to us ( Richardson, Tx.), where I pick my grandkids up from school, I'd noticed folks traveling around in golf carts on many of the neighborhood streets. Many parents were picking the kids up from school in golf carts.
At first thinking how is this okay for a non syreet legal vehicle, come to find out, in many Texas towns it's legal to operate a golf cart on any street with a speed limit of 35 mph or less.
Not to shabby an idea for our densily populated cookie cutter urban areas in the DFW.

Depending on the state and city in many places Golf Cars ARE street legal if registered.

As always with it comes to what is and is not legal YOUR MILLAGE MAY VARY (Based on location)

Note. Since I do not know the laws where you were... This is only information not advice. You'd need to hit the library or ask the local prosecutor's office for specific info.

We have a side by side (SXS), and it is so handy when we can ride it on street! Note my own town doesn’t allow it, but Arizona, where we spend most of the winter, does allow street legal SXSs. We have windshield, lights front and rear, lighted license plate, rear view and side mirrors. We have to register the SXS with the Arizona DMV since my own state, Iowa, only has stickers through the Department of Natural Resources. That isn’t sufficient for states with street legal regs. Basically having the SXS gives us an extra vehicle for town in addition to having a great time on trails and backroads.

Depending on the state and city in many places Golf Cars ARE street legal if registered.

As always with it comes to what is and is not legal YOUR MILLAGE MAY VARY (Based on location)

Note. Since I do not know the laws where you were... This is only information not advice. You'd need to hit the library or ask the local prosecutor's office for specific info.
Thanks, I'm good.

Our town was originally going to be a golf course community. We had 9 holes done in the back of the development. But the developer went broke and the golf course never really happened. The back half where it was turned into large acre homesites (2 - 10+ acres). The pro shop burned down back in the late 90's. But all the city ordinances still apply. So golf carts are allowed. They also kinda extend it to side by sides, ATV's, UTV's, etc. And 35 mph is the max on the main roads, and all side roads are 25 mph. It's pretty neat.

In a Indiana carts and UTV's are not allowed on interstates and state highways or roads, nor may they cross them. They are allowed everywhere else if they can do the minimum speed limit.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a special classification for Low Speed Vehicles and most states allow them to be registered for use on roads with a speed limit of 35 MPH or less. Usually people think of vehicles like the GEM electric LSV or Ford THINK but golf carts can qualify if they have the required safety equipment (seat belts, lights, horn, mirrors, etc).

Low-speed vehicle - Wikipedia

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom