Good cheap trailer tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
205/75/14

let’s say affordable.
Do you guys shop at the dealership… A tire shop… Costco or Sam’s Club Walmart?

Affordable is subjective. Get you some Goodyear Endurance tires and be done with it , if you plan on doing a lot of over the road miles. Some folks will suggest LT tires. But if you follow any amount of topics dealing with tires, there is one thing in common. Chinese made tires have a way of letting you down sooner or later, even on new campers straight from the factory brand new. A blow out has a way of doing damage to your camper too if you are cruising along at 55 or 60 mph.

Please read the other recently posted thread where an owner has had three blowouts and is asking why...

Date code on the tire, accurate loaded weight, proper PSI and regular inspections.

A tire is the last place I'd want to save quality -> which often translates to "cheap." If anything, go UP a load range and keep your TT/RV safe for your family, vacation and other travelers on the road.

I am starting to think that we need a dedicated section for talking tires. Its hard to emphasize how important safe traveling begins with the tires , brakes and proper rated axles for travel trailers in particular. I just ordered upgrades. I love the camper, but by the time you get things the way you want for your own particular likes, factory specs are no longer applicable. The factory axles and equipment was horrible when attempting to stop on downhill mountains.

205/75/14

let’s say affordable.
Do you guys shop at the dealership… A tire shop… Costco or Sam’s Club Walmart?
Presumably those are ST 205/75/R14 - the ST is a key part of the designation. Also need to know the Load Range, which will be C or D in this size tire.

Avoid RV dealers for any parts purchase if you can, especially for commodities like tires & batteries. Use a tire shop or the tire dept at a store like Sam's or Costco. Or order from an online distributor such a simpletire.com

You can get excellent quality tires without buying a top-tier brand like Goodyear or Michelin. Hankook (Korean) makes a couple grades of ST trailer tires and their Kinergy model is half the price of a GY Endurance. Carlisle is another good value brand. For a little more money you can get a Maxxis M8008, a highly rated trailer tire.

let’s say affordable.
The most affordable tire for my purposes is the best one. The way I look at it is that I would rather pay more for tires than to pay for repairs to the RV from one failing, or to deal with the danger a failure at highway speed will put myself and my family in. It seems very foolish to be to buy an expensive RV and then put cheap tires on it.

Anyone found a decent spot for good cheap trailer tires?

2011 24’ Gulfbreeze. p

This is pretty much an oxymoron......it’s very difficult to have both! Less expensive.....maybe! Cheap.....unlikely!

The money saved, will very possibly be spent on rv repairs or towing expenses!

Stay with the higher quality tires from name brand, highly rated tire companies. Much like the old Fram commercial .....”Pay me now, or pay me later”! memtb

I put Carlisle on mine, I bought them from a tire chain so the warranty would be available as we travel.

I could have spent more but tires are only good for about 5 years and if you don't put a lot of miles on them they will age out long before the tread wears down. Nails in the sidewall also don't care how much you spent on the tire, I lost the first tire within a couple of months this way.

This is pretty much an oxymoron......it’s very difficult to have both! Less expensive.....maybe! Cheap.....unlikely!

The money saved, will very possibly be spent on rv repairs or towing expenses!

Stay with the higher quality tires from name brand, highly rated tire companies. Much like the old Fram commercial .....”Pay me now, or pay me later”! memtb
LOL using Fram as a reference is not a good idea. Hardly high quality stuff from them.

I have sold a lot of Towmax as well as a few Trailer King tires over the last 15 years or so. They are very reasonably priced and I have not seen any failures due to a defect in many or any of them. Some will say buy the GY Endurance so you won't have any problems but an expensive tire does not handle a rock, nail, screw, or big pot hole any better than a mid range tire does.

There is no such thing as a “good” tire that is also “cheap.”

You get what you pay for.
Yup, that's an oxymoron. All tires sold in the U.S.A. must meet the minimum requirements of the USDOT. There's a difference between minimum, in the center or maximum. It equates to cost.

I have sold a lot of Towmax as well as a few Trailer King tires over the last 15 years or so. They are very reasonably priced and I have not seen any failures due to a defect in many or any of them. Some will say buy the GY Endurance so you won't have any problems but an expensive tire does not handle a rock, nail, screw, or big pot hole any better than a mid range tire does.
Tires blowing apart seems to be the common issue when we see pictures of tire blow outs on campers. This does not normally happen as a result of a nail or screw. I see a lot of issues and complaints of tires blowing apart with just a few miles on them on campers purchased new. To me that says that coming off of a new camper lot no one really checks the tire pressure. So the new owners loads up the campers and head out and possibly the under pressure from just sitting on the lots creates heat build up and the cheaper tires fail. While there are standards applied to the manufacture of tires, until stuff happens and gets reported with numerous reports of the same part, I bet most just slip thru the cracks of the beuracracy and rarely addressed.

Oh and yea I doubt camper manufacturers worry much about tire issues or warranty issues of tires. Its bad enough to have to get a dealer to do warranty service on the campers in general.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom