Google Maps Search for RV Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarsMac

It seems that recently, google has changed the search routine related to RV Parks.
I used to be able to plug "RV Parks" into G Maps, and see many of the RV Parks and campgrounds. They did often include Trailer park type communities, as well, But that was easily dealt with.
Last night, I ran a search for RV Parks in an area, and I got a list of Hotels and RV Parks. (Mostly Hotels)
Almost all the amenities listed were basic HOTEL items.
I was searching for a specific RV Park in an area with which I was familiar, near family, looking for a specific RV park we have used a couple of times in the past, to share with a family member who was going to join us.
It was not until I dug up my receipts and found the exact name of the park did G Maps finally bring it up on the map.
I was then looking for the review we put in Maps the year before, and the review now has options that only apply to Hotels.
So, Google has taken one more step towards being useless as a Search Engine. Odd, since that was exactly the whole point in their existence until recently.

I just noticed the same thing today as I looked up a RV Park in Mesa AZ. Thought that's weird but didn't delve into it as I was busy.
That's a shame because that is how I locate all RV parks that we stay at. I',m guessing it's all about money.

Ya, Google was recently slapped with a big fine for something to do with how results appear, but to Google it's the price of doing business..

Not much is listed on Google for our nearest town other than having a cemetery. There's a gas station, restaurant, RV park, and a small local market. The gas station is in the RV park and is just one pump, but there's zero information on the internet about it, including not being listed on Google Maps and GasBuddy. The RV Park can be found, if you know what to search for.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting in "RV Campgrounds" instead of RV Parks? I just did that, as I've always done and it seems no different now as it always has.....other than the new/difference coloring of the background.

I usually use just "campgrounds" but I have noticed it spits out hotels and motels now. The new coloration is horrible, makes thin secondary roads very difficult to see, though you can change the contrast some to improve it.

Charles

I usually use just "campgrounds" but I have noticed it spits out hotels and motels now. The new coloration is horrible, makes thin secondary roads very difficult to see, though you can change the contrast some to improve it.

Charles
I've been using google maps for locating campgrounds since about 2017 and for me, it has always shown some hotels/motels, and some "trailer parks" when I put in RV campgrounds. Like I said, I don't see any change in it other than the coloring, which I don't care for either.

Google maps finally shows our nearest gas station at the RV park. They put in a new pump recently. The price isn't listed on the search due to it's something close to $5.999 for regular 85 octane on the sign, but only $5.899 for diesel. It's the only gas around.
Screenshot_20231228_080046_Google.jpg

It seems that recently, google has changed the search routine related to RV Parks.
I used to be able to plug "RV Parks" into G Maps, and see many of the RV Parks and campgrounds. They did often include Trailer park type communities, as well, But that was easily dealt with.
Last night, I ran a search for RV Parks in an area, and I got a list of Hotels and RV Parks. (Mostly Hotels)
Almost all the amenities listed were basic HOTEL items.
I was searching for a specific RV Park in an area with which I was familiar, near family, looking for a specific RV park we have used a couple of times in the past, to share with a family member who was going to join us.
It was not until I dug up my receipts and found the exact name of the park did G Maps finally bring it up on the map.
I was then looking for the review we put in Maps the year before, and the review now has options that only apply to Hotels.
So, Google has taken one more step towards being useless as a Search Engine. Odd, since that was exactly the whole point in their existence until recently.
Why not just use RV LIFE Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks Search by area and you got a list with address. The use G maps for a wider view or maybe zoom in and take a look. Or am I missing soy?

RV Parky and Allstays are additional campground sources, with lots of detail available.

Why not just use RV LIFE Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks Search by area and you got a list with address. The use G maps for a wider view or maybe zoom in and take a look. Or am I missing soy?
I was in Google Maps plotting a driving route, already, And it has been my go-to app for a number of years, and has been fairly reliable for routing, until now.
I generally use G Maps to quickly plot out the basic route and fuel stops, and then import that to RV Trip Wizard to finalize routes and camping. Trip Wizard is good, but fails when looking for Fuel stops off the interstate routes.
Most search utilities can be quirky about how you ask a question, of course.

Until now, "RV Parks" has been an adequate prompt for quickly finding RV campgrounds with Google Maps. True, it also often turns up "trailer Parks", as well. But until now, it never included Hotels, motels, and such. Time to retrain myself if I can't properly train Google.

RV Parky and Allstays are additional campground sources, with lots of detail available.

We use Google Maps a great deal for navigation, traffic info or finding the nearest Walmart or gas station e.g. but not for finding RV sites.

I used to use RVParky but not so much since I subscribed to Allstays Pro as I found that to be most comprehensive and with their very flexible "Filter" option, you can easily search for just about anything related to RV travel. For us, well worth it.

Good overview here.

Maybe it's based on location? I had used Google Maps to find potential places to stay in a small town. Campendium has ) listings and RV Parky had 1. On a whim I tried Google Maps and found 4 more.

I just plugged "RV Campgrounds near Lubbock, TX" into Google Maps. No hotels popped up. I had used similar wording to search for RV Parks near the small town (substituting the name of the small town & state for "Lubbock, TX").

I have discovered that many of the online RV Park directories do not actually list all the RV parks and campgrounds in an area. Some will only list the ones that have a review. It's why I build my own personal directories (I load spreadsheets into Google My Maps). I know that I most likely stay at places that many other "RVers" won't, especially for an overnight stay. So I never share my campground & RV park directories nor my overnight parking directories.

I learned my lesson after the last time I shared a spreadsheet. Who would have thought so many people had a problem with a tiny spreadsheet that incorporated a simple formula designed to calculate if it was cheaper to use AC heaters or LP heaters based on the price of metered electric VS $/gallon of LP. Sheesh!

I just plugged "RV Campgrounds near Lubbock, TX" into Google Maps. No hotels popped up.
I understand what you're saying. But just by way of info, here's what Allstays comes up with for all types of camping near Lubock:

lubock.jpg

I understand what you're saying. But just by way of info, here's what Allstays comes up with for all types of camping near Lubock:
I've had the Allstays Camp and RV android app for years, and it's got a surprising level of detail for each campground, and seems rather comprehensive since it covers not only commercial campgrounds and nat'l/state/city/county campgrounds, but COE, etc., Walmart and Cracker Barrel parking lots, and much more. RV Parky seems to be just as comprehensive with a slightly more friendly interface.

Both of the above apps include maps and even let you dial the campground right from the phone listing in the app. It's been mighty handy over the years.

Typically we would get within two or three hours of the area where we wanted to stay, the bring up the app, check each camp listed for details, then when we'd decided the first one to try just touch the phone number and let it dial the campground, checking for openings. Extremely versatile that way, even helping us get short notice camping in the Banff area one day.

Yep. "Campgrounds" may be a better choice for search criteria.
But for years, I have simply had "RV Parks" as a click point on Maps, and I clicked it and it showed me what I was looking for. Now, suddenly, I get more hotels than campgrounds with that same click.
And, I have found that a number of once fairly reliable shortcuts return less than satisfactory results in Google searches of all kinds.

I've had the Allstays Camp and RV android app for years, and it's got a surprising level of detail for each campground, and seems rather comprehensive since it covers not only commercial campgrounds and nat'l/state/city/county campgrounds, but COE, etc., Walmart and Cracker Barrel parking lots, and much more. RV Parky seems to be just as comprehensive with a slightly more friendly interface.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell they no longer have an Android app and have gone over to the dark side and now only support IOS. Bummer...:(

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell they no longer have an Android app and have gone over to the dark side and now only support IOS. Bummer...:(
For the Android app, yes it's no longer available. I heard that a needed resource became unavailable. For iOS and on the web it's still a top resource.

Back
Top Bottom