Goose Box - what are your experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

The goose box looks like a good idea.

As I see it...

Pro - doesn?t take up truck bed space; cost isn?t much more than a good 5th wheel hitch; don?t have to remove a heavy hitch when not towing; doesn?t rest on the bed floor like the Anderson

Con - you have to modify the trailer; expensive compared to some other options

So, what experiences can you share? I have a 1 ton SRW 6?4? bed 4X4.

Thanks

I considered it when shopping for a hitch but settled on the Andersen. I liked the overall idea of the Goose Box but the one item that kept me away was all that weight directly transferring as pin weight onto the truck. One of my goals was keeping pin weight down. Otherwise, I think it's a great option. I met a guy two summers ago who had one and he loved it but that's all the experience I have with it. He had an F-350 with the factory gooseneck setup.

I am curious about your con: "you have to modify the trailer". The only modification you have to make is unbolting the existing pin box and replacing it with the Goose Box. Hardly a "modification" in my book.

I love my Andersen but really I'm for any hitch that leaves a rail-free bed when removed. I just picked up two sheets of drywall today and thought what a pain it would have been to slide them over the rails. Not the end of the world, obviously, but inconvenient for sure.

They look like a good system, but no experience. They are far better than the pole type connector!!  Like Joezeppy, I did not want the extra pin wt.  The Andersen weighs less than 40 lb complete, and is EASILY installed or removed in under 5 min, leaving a clean bed.  It DOES occupy a fair amount of bed space.  All in all, I really like my Andersen!

These have been churning in the back of my head for a while.  I have a B&W turnover-ball but use the Companion 5th  wheel hitch.  I do like the idea of a free'd up bed.  In my case though, due to the fuel tank and tool box I wouldn't be able to see the ball when hooking up.  I'm sure I could come up with a clever way to solve that issue.

But...for right now I'm content with the B&W setup.

-Chak

Voids MOST but not all factory warrantys because the stress points change.
Goosenecks are used mostly on ag equipment because of the rough terain

I told this story last year I think.. Went to the local Truck Stop for lunch (I think the fast food place is Arby's there) and chatted with an owner and technician who had done a goose-neck conversion on his 5th wheel trailer.

Well his wife was ahead of him on the road when something happened (Animal ran out in the road as I recall) and she, and then he, spiked the brakes..  Since the trailer brakes take a partial rotation of the wheels to engage he pretzled the pin box on the trailer.

In chatting with the techinician we all agreed a better design of the converter would have prevented that.

I have since seen several gooseneck and not one of them had triangle bracing all were basically a straigh pipe off the 5th wheel pin to the ball hitch 

What is needed is a triangle.. Arms attached to the pipe near the ball hitch adapter angled up to the back of the pin box so that if you suddenly spike the brakes.... it does not pretzel.

Page 2: while I was there a Pickup pulling a brand new (Sticker still in window) Ceader Creek 5th wheel trailer turned a tat too soon after refueling and tore the back cap half off the trailer (OUCH)!!!!

steveblonde said:
Voids MOST but not all factory warrantys because the stress points change.
Goosenecks are used mostly on ag equipment because of the rough terain

The Goose Box is not a typical gooseneck adapter and from what I remember reading (back when I was shopping for a hitch) Reese has actually worked with Lippert who considers it an extended pin box which keeps their warranty in effect.

Right from Reese website

World?s first OE approved gooseneck adapter, Endorsed by Lippert Components, Inc. for their frame systems

Ok, so I remembered wrong - they are calling it a gooseneck adapter, not an extended pin box. But the point is, it's unique, has been discussed with Lippert, and will not void their frame warranty.

Looked up Reese The Goose Box.. now if I were building one.. that is how I would build it  Looks very ...high quality.  Not a conversion kit but a whole new pin box and properly designed.

Oops sorry i misread the question - never sold one never been asked, my question would be why? Most new trucks come with a puck system which allows you to take out the hitch in a few seconds, now granted a traditional 5th wheel hitch is a little heavy but most come apart in 2 pieces in a mere seconds. Or you can go the Anderson way

These goosenecks are very different from the pipes that are very poorly designed. The sides of the box become the triangular stabilization needed for proper support.  The advantage is that once you unhook with this system, the ONLY thing left in the bed is the ball.

My truck has a bed that is about a foot longer than the Fords.
Any one here have experience with a RAM standard box.
Another concern I have is bed rail clearance. Is there sufficient adjustment for the height or getting the trailer level?

Lynx0849 said:
My truck has a bed that is about a foot longer than the Fords.
Any one here have experience with a RAM standard box.
Another concern I have is bed rail clearance. Is there sufficient adjustment for the height or getting the trailer level?

???? all 8 ft boxes are 8 foot a 5'6" box (commonly called an extra short box) is usually only found on a 1/2 ton a 6'6" box is a standard box size on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton all come with an available 8 foot box Ram is the only one that makes a short box/ standard box dually

as for adjusting the height that would depend on your specific truck as they are all different because of tires sizes off road packages 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive and then the trailer height

There was a guy in the park I am in who had the goosebox.  He said he started out with the adapter and was happy with it.  When they came out with the goosebox with the airbag he swapped out and said he couldn't be happier.
This is something I would really like to do as well because I hate having to remove the 5th wheel hitch out of the truck and I hate having the rails in the bed of my truck as well. 

I have the Reese goose box and I am very happy with it in my F350 dually pulling a 43? Sierra. The air ride in it really smooths out the ride and it tows beautifully.

If I ever do go down this road, I'm also going to look hard at the Gen-Y hitch.  Like the goosebox it looks like the have solved the leverage concerns as well as have some "suspension" in the system.

-Chak

Missionman said:
I have the Reese goose box and I am very happy with it in my F350 dually pulling a 43? Sierra. The air ride in it really smooths out the ride and it tows beautifully.

Thanks. Is your truck 4 wheel drive?

Chakara said:
If I ever do go down this road, I'm also going to look hard at the Gen-Y hitch.  Like the goosebox it looks like the have solved the leverage concerns as well as have some "suspension" in the system.

-Chak

What is it that makes you like the gen-y vs the goose box? They seem similar at first glance though I am not sure what the difference of the two gen-y models are?

Back
Top Bottom