Goose Neck Vs 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beta2.0

My truck is equipped with a goose neck type hitch. I'd like to get some opinions on using a 5th wheel to goose neck adaptor rather than putting a 5th wheel in the bed of my truck. My trailer will be in the 30 to 32 foot range. Truck is a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins Diesel, long bed, (8').

Thanks in advance,

Beta2.0

The word is that the gooseneck adapter puts extra strain on the overhang of the fifth wheel.  You may want to look into using a B&W companion fifth wheel hitch. It is designed to fit into the gooseneck under structure on the truck. We just recently did one on my buddies truck and I must say this is one of the finest hitches I have ever seen.

powderman said:
The word is that the gooseneck adapter puts extra strain on the overhang of the fifth wheel.  You may want to look into using a B&W companion fifth wheel hitch. It is designed to fit into the gooseneck under structure on the truck. We just recently did one on my buddies truck and I must say this is one of the finest hitches I have ever seen.

agreed if you going to do a hitch with a goose B&W is the only way to go

Putting a gooseneck  adapter on a 5th wheel may void the 5th wheels warranty.  The frames on the 5er a built differently due to the extra stress put on the trailer with the adapter. Check with the manufacture to see if your unit can handle the adapter.

This is one of the real touchy questions. Some people use gooseneck adapters and they work fine, while others have experienced major trailer frame damage. The gooseneck extension acts as a lever against the 5W front overhang and some trailer frames aren't up to the extra stress.  Cracks may appear where the front overhang of the 5W joins the main trailer body.  Might be fine forever, or might crack the welds on the frame the first time out. Or the damage might be gradual and take years to become visible. I don't see how anyone can say in advance, before you even identify a particular trailer, whether yours would be ok or not. Chances are it would be ok, but there really aren't any guarantees.

RV and trailer frame manufacturers are going to be reluctant to ok using a hitch method they didn't design for, so may say "No" simply to protect themselves. I would still inquire, but would not be surprised to hear a "no" even though anecdotal reports say otherwise.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like a game of 'rock, paper, scissors' will be the final decision maker once we purchase our trailer.  ;D
Not that it make any difference, but the goose ball (if that's what it's called) is a B&W.

Thanks again for the input,

Beta2.0

I posed this very question to my local Jayco dealer, he said adapters will void the Jayco Warranty, however, there is a solution according to them. Replace the factory pin box with a Reese 94622 2-5/16 gooseneck RV coupler box. This way, per the Jayco dealer, you will not void your warranty.

I tend to agree with Gary on this. The adaptor adds leverage to the truck against the pin of the 5th wheel hence why there is cracking or frame failure occuring. Like the old saying "Give me a lever big enough I'll move the world" well in this case crack the RV frame. More or less putting a cheater bar on the end of the pin.

Curt makes an adapter plate to give you rails to use a regular type fifth wheel hitch, it's what i'm using as I already had the hitch and it is very well made
http://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Curt/16310.html

That Curt adapter is great if you already have a hitch.  If not, B&W offers a "below bed mount" Companion Gooseneck to 5th wheel hitch which is much cheaper, and probably better, than this adapter plus a 5th wheel hitch.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Gooseneck_and_Fifth_Wheel_Adapters-pt-Gooseneck_Hitch_to_Fifth_Wheel_Trailer.aspx

Gordon

Go with a B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch, as it'll mount directly on a 2 5/16" ball in the bottom of your truck bed.  Quality, fit and finish is top notch on this American built component.

Back
Top Bottom