GPS map updates - How often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somewhere in the menus will be a Map Info option that shows the version of the loaded maps.  I've not seen a Garmin that didn't have that menu item.  It's not always in the same place in different models :)

dvsmith86 said:
Does anyone know how to check a C-330 to find out how old my maps are?  As I mentioned, I bought it as "refurbished" and I sort of assumed (we know how that works, right?) the maps and software would be up-to-date - at least as much as possible for that model.

Thanks,
Doug

See "map info" on page 17 here in the owner's manual.

-Don- SSF, CA​

I guess I was spoiled by the accuracy of the Metro Guide maps

Actually Ron is quite correct. The Garmin I owned had most of the local streets on the map but no names for those same streets. Sheesh! The town was established in the 1870s, most of the streets are still in the same place and with the same names. In addition if any of the streets shown had no name, you can't enter an address for a location any of those streets. However I could visit any place on those same streets and set it as home.
That is far from being accurate or dependable
While I was picking up a relay (for DRL's  ;D) I was discussing Garmin versus TomTom with the manager of the store and she confirmed that the Garmin GPS devices left a lot to be desired in this local area. So my take on this is that if the Tom Tom maps are great around here, even listing names of little dead ends close by that I didn't know had names, not a house on them but they have names  ;D.
So if the Tom Tom is great here in the boonies it must be stupendous elsewhere on the continent, just my honest opinion  ;D

Cheers
Willis

I've also used Garmin units for years...started with the original etrex model.  Soon after I bought a Legend model, Garmin released new software that allowed the capability to load about three times the number of waypoints, routes, etc...it was an easy download and upgrade to the GPS unit!

Garmin has upgraded software for most of their units from time-to-time, so you are always able to have the most reliable unit - a great feature, IMHO!

I like to use the EasyGPS software (standard version free) to work with waypoints, routes, etc..it's far easier to load waypoints into EasyGPS on your PC, then download to your GPS unit...you can also upload waypoints from your GPS unit to EasyGPS for security, and save them in any number of files you may wish, to keep track of them...Also, with your waypoints in EasyGPS, you can 'right click' to view a sat picture or road map of that particular place - really neat for checking out places in advance of a visit... a great program!

I'm also currently in the process of loading/saving waypoints for ALL State Parks that have RV facilities...a large task, indeed.  The files are arranged by each state, in the 'gpx' file format used by EasyGPS.  I'm going to put these files on an 'SD' card chip, and will have some available if anyone expresses interest - will mention it again when I'm finished in a couple of weeks...It's kind of neat, I've loaded a bunch into my 650 Nuvi GPS unit, and I can then select any State Park's waypoint, get the Nav info, of course, and you can look at a local 'map' of that waypoint...and on my PC, I can look at a sat picture of the State Park - and for many you can see the actual RV Park sites - neat!

I've found that several State's are now upgrading their State Park info sites with GPS coordinates, as they've recognized the increased use of GPS units by the public...some are using the D-M.M format, and others are using the D.D format for the coordinate values...this isn't really any problem, as you can convert back and forth, or enter in either format, as needed in EasyGPS...I've found the D.D format is easier to enter and work with, but you can still convert to DMS format for chart work if needed...

GPS is neat stuff to play around with...try it, you'll like it!

We have had nothing but trouble with our Garmin streetpilot c330.  LOST SATELITE SIGNAL!! or RECALCULATING  but only after it has led me onto a SanFrancisco freeway exit.
Did the same thing in Anaheim, Hollywood, Sandiego.  I hate that woman that tells me where to go.  Can anyone recommend a really good GPS, that won't cost a whole lot of dollars?

Thanks

Jason (Currently in SanDiego) - Nice city by the way

I've had nothing than joy from MY Streetpilot C330.  ;)  So as always "your mileage may vary".  I've used Tom Toms and Magellans and much prefer my Streetpilot for ease of use.  Some units seem to be better in certain areas than others, and I wouldn't condemn an entire make/model because it may not work perfectly wherever you happen to be traveling.

The only time our Streetpilot has had trouble navigating was on rebuilt interstates where the exit & ramps had changed.  So I reverted to the old idea of reading the roadsigns for a few turns, until the GPS caught up.  ;)  We have 2007 maps on ours and haven't had the need to update - in fact I obtained the 2009 maps this past Christmas and sold the software here instead of installing it.

I used a C330 Streetpilot to travel across the country...my only complaint was that this model doesn't announce the actual 'street names', so you have to refer back to the unit to look for the name of the street to turn onto...we nicknamed our C330's voice as 'To-Go Rose'...all you older Vet's will get that one....

We've since switched to a Garmin Nuvi 650 model that now announces the ACTUAL Street names to turn onto to continue your route...you can also change the 'voice' that does the announcing...there are several different languages and different accent's...I like the Aussie gal's 'twang' to tell me where to turn - but some of the street names come our weird!... ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom