GPS Voice Prompts: Nicknames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Does your GPS voice prompt have a nickname?  If so, what is it and how did it come about?

We call ours Helga...because she's......assertive and tenacious, as I would expect someone named Helga would be.

Mine is Jane. We have a Garmin and we use the English (England) voice since it sounds better than the American English voice. I named her after Jane Asher, Paul McCartney's ex-girlfriend. She is a babe.

Attachments

• Jane-Asher_179366.jpg
    Jane-Asher_179366.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 58
Steve, you must have known my Sister...Helga... you described her well.   :'(

Our lady is called Gypsy... get it, GPSee.... She's nice until she tells me make U-turns over and over again. I have an external volume control and have total control over her. :D

carson FL

Here is a link to Jane Asher's website, she still looks great and is quite active in her community.

Steve

Attachments

• janeasher.jpg
    janeasher.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 53
seilerbird said:
We have a Garmin and we use the English (England) voice since it sounds better than the American English voice.

Ditto!  The two settings are "American English" and "British English".  Once we discovered the British version there was no turning back. 

Mine is "Marla".  I can't explain where the name came from, but the story is... a bunch of us from work were caravaning (multiple vehicles following one another) up to a specific location in Chicago some months back, and I was the only one with a GPS.  Thus I was in the lead and everyone was trying to follow me, but traffic was heavy.  I was therefore calling out upcoming turns via cell phones or 2-way radios that some of us had.  I kept finding myself saying "According to my GPS, the next turn will be...", "The GPS says we should be headed...", "I'm looking at the GPS and it says we should..."  Finally I got tired of being so wordy and decided to name the thing.  Marla jumped into my head, no idea why.  I've never even known anyone with that name.  But it's a lot easier to say "Marla says turn left".  ;)  Plus Marla has such a pretty voice.

Now if I could keep my wife from getting jealous of Marla.  ;D

I call ours Molly, actually it's Molly II, so named after my late mother in law's 1985 Chev Celebrity, that was put out to pasture after my using it for the past 15 years to take to work, it only had about 30,000 on it, but suddenly got a serious case of rust.  About the same time as she went to pasture, we got the Garmen, and with such a nice insistent voice, so Molly it became.

Our Garmin has the American female voice - Jill - and, surprise, when we got the iRobot vacuum, he became Jack.  ;)

ArdraF

"Hilda"  guides us on our journeys.  I like her because it takes the pressure off me having to read the map  for every turn.  She can get naggy at times. 

Way back before I retired we had  the real Hilda clean our house.  This also took a lot of pressure off of me.  Now I clean my own house.

Betty

Once we discovered the British version there was no turning back.

I use Garmin as secondary GPS at times, and have it set for British English as well.  We call her Mary Poppins because the British English voice on our Garmin sounds just like Julie Andrews!

We call ours "the lady" and I often sing to her..."Lady, when you're with me I am so lost.  You turn us all around.  Oh, lady..."

On our previous one, DW didn't like the stern, curt messages they used.  So I recorded her voice into appropriate files and loaded them into it. 

Instead of messages like "Make a legal U-turn", I would hear DW sweetly say, "Honey, go ahead and turn around and go the other way."  ;D

Unfortunately, I cannot do that with our current one.  :(

I named ours Lucy... I was humming "Lucy in the sky with Diamonds" and thought that sounds like a satellite!

Lola, from the movie RV. That cracks me up every time I hear Robin Williams talk back to it. My wife refuses to believe it when it gives directions.

Ours is "Garmin Jill", who keeps nagging me when I miss a turn and repeatedly says:  "recalculating"; that's when the volume goes to zero.

Marsha~

Ours is "Jill" and when we got an iRobot vacuum we named him, what else, Jack!  :D

ArdraF

Chris named her robot vacuum cleaner, dish washer, coach washer and boat boy all Tom. The navigator got the same name   :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom