Gps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All GPSs are nice, but I don't believe any of them 100% of the time.  I still believe a good paper may for backup is a good thing.

tvman44 said:
All GPSs are nice, but I don't believe any of them 100% of the time.  I still believe a good paper may for backup is a good thing.

X100

I'm still smarter than a GPS as it can't see anything like an accident that you have to detour for.
And even though I have updated it there is a road in my neck of the woods that's been there for 18 months or more
and it still shows driving in an area that has no road.  :p

The problem I have with so many GPS nav systems is the lack of sensible assumptions (I suspect because someone has a patent on them and wants too much for royalties).  For example when you go off route why not pop up a screen that asks if you want a local detour or ignore routing for a couple of minutes so you can fuel up, maybe go so far as to give 4 options, route for local detour that can then be upgraded to major detour, route for services (food, lodging, fuel,etc.), suspend routing, or get me back on route, with get me back on route being the default if no choice is made in a timely manner.  Instead of this we get to hear "make a U turn when possible", over and over.  For that matter maybe take the hint when we fail to make that U turn 4 or 5 times in a row.

While we are at it how about a few more routing options, generally it seems we get avoid toll roads, avoid ferries and a couple of others.  How about avoid congested area / avoid large cities,  avoid substandard roads, avoid construction zones, etc.

John97031 said:
I have it and like it. But....

1. It refused to allow us to drive on Utah 95 highway. It wanted us at the beginning to take a route 150 miles out of our way. Then as we continued to ignore it it eventually wanted us to take a dirt road through hills instead if the highway. So unless they fixed it it doesn't like the highway..
I remember that happening. That used to happen regularily to me.
Finally figured out why. When setting up coach parameters, I thought I would build in a safety factor for height.  Need 13' so I put height at 13'8".
Unit kept warning me about bridges on route not having enough height but I knew I could pass under as done before.
Changed height in gps to 13' never a problem since. I am guessing there may already be a safety factor built in.
Love the unit BUT we use it with paper maps. Old habit from our boating days.

Back
Top Bottom