Grand design 5th wheel large slide makes "clicking" noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

slide seems to work ok but it makes noise the other slides don't. camper is level. is this indicative of a problem?

slide seems to work ok but it makes noise the other slides don't. camper is level. is this indicative of a problem?
Is this at the end of the travel, or mid way in the in/out move?

thx for reply. beginning. a few clicks. Today was 1st time it made noise 1/2 way thru a move.

thx for reply. beginning. a few clicks. Today was 1st time it made noise 1/2 way thru a move.
Rack & pinion slideouts sometimes 'click' at the end of travel if you keep your finger on the button. This is clearly not your issue, and I'll defer to someone with better knowledge.

A "click" at the beginning or middle of slide use is typically a relay opening/closing and may mean low battery voltage or a bad connection to the slide motor. Sounds like yours may be at a marginal condition where power drops out and quickly recovers. That would make me suspect a poor quality 12v connection, either at the slide controller relay or the wiring from there to the slide motor.

slide brand is "Schwintek". noise is not a relay. however, it does seems more present when operating the slide on the battery only. (usually we plug in 1st so slide motors have more volts to work with.) only does it on the largest slide even when camper is quite level. even when making noise the in/out motion seems constant. gear rack underneath looks clean but could use some lubricant. It goes in for service in 2 weeks to repair a "rookie brushed a tree branch" scrape and could be looked at then but if I can figure it out on my own I'd rather do that. thx to anyone offering advice.

slide brand is "Schwintek". noise is not a relay. however, it does seems more present when operating the slide on the battery only. (usually we plug in 1st so slide motors have more volts to work with.) only does it on the largest slide even when camper is quite level. even when making noise the in/out motion seems constant. gear rack underneath looks clean but could use some lubricant. It goes in for service in 2 weeks to repair a "rookie brushed a tree branch" scrape and could be looked at then but if I can figure it out on my own I'd rather do that. thx to anyone offering advice.
A couple of things about the Schwintek slide system.....and you may already know this, but just in case, here goes.
1. The gear rails that are on the side of the slide room should never be lubricated, however, they should be kept clean and free of any debris.
2. When a Schwintek slide is operated, it needs to be done "full stroke" either IN or OUT, and it's a best practice to not stop it in the middle somewhere. If you do have to stop it in the middle, make sure that you follow up with a full in and a full out....or vice versa.
3. When running the slide in or out and the movement stops because the room is all the way in or out, continue to hold the travel direction button down for an additional 3 or 4 seconds. That process helps keep the two motors in sync. There is also a method for "re-syncing" the motors for even travel both in and out, and you can find that online with a google search pretty easily.

And you are correct, the Schwintek system does NOT like low supply voltage, like many other 12VDC appliances/items in the trailer. So make sure that your battery is fully charged before deploying them and or be plugged into shore power so that the Converter/Charger is operating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom