Grand Design 5th wheel stiff water control valves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

1st trip 2015 27RL. the water control panel has valves which you rotate to configure the water delivery system. Everything works but it takes a lot of torque to rotate the valve handle from one position to another. It doesn't require pliers just a strong hand effort. Normal or a sign of impending failure?

1st trip 2015 27RL. the water control panel has valves which you rotate to configure the water delivery system. Everything works but it takes a lot of torque to rotate the valve handle from one position to another. It doesn't require pliers just a strong hand effort. Normal or a sign of impending failure?
Hopefully, you are not trying to turn them while the water system is pressurized! In other words, BEFORE you turn on your city water supply or if you have them set to the provide water while dry camping (using the onboard 12V water pump), the valves need to be set in the correct position.

If you already have pressurized the system, turn off the city water supply and/or shut off the water pump and turn a faucet on (hot and cold sides of the faucet) and then rotate the valves. The Nautilus system specifically tells you NOT to turn them while the system is pressurized. Hope this helps

Probably normal. PVC valves are sometimes (often?) rather stiff, perhaps due to sloppy manufacturing tolerances or perhaps just to avoid seepage thru the valve.

Some valves can be lubricated using a silicone liquid or grease (aka plumber's grease). It doesn't hurt to try, even if the valve is sealed. Drip or spray silicone lube around the handle shaft

Reactions: SMR
The everyone. I was unaware of the rule to only change when not undpressure i will also try some food grade lube.er

The everyone. I was unaware of the rule to only change when not undpressure i will also try some food grade lube.er
I've not ever heard of such a "rule" either. Since many PVC valves are water shut-offs, it doesn't seem a very useful thing.
PVC valves are almost always the 1/4 turn ball type, so they incrementally open or close as the ball turns, thus gradually increasing or decreasing pressure on the ball & its axle (shaft). If the axle for the ball is poorly fitted in the body, it can shift sideways and the water pressure can indeed make it bind somewhat. A better quality valve won't shift/bind and won't be affected much at all. If any.

I've not ever heard of such a "rule" either. Since many PVC valves are water shut-offs, it doesn't seem a very useful thing.
PVC valves are almost always the 1/4 turn ball type, so they incrementally open or close as the ball turns, thus gradually increasing or decreasing pressure on the ball & its axle (shaft). If the axle for the ball is poorly fitted in the body, it can shift sideways and the water pressure can indeed make it bind somewhat. A better quality valve won't shift/bind and won't be affected much at all. If any.
I don't know if I'd officially call it a rule, as much as a recommendation. Grand Design and others, many times use the Nautilus brand all in one water system panel in their RVs and it is their recommendation to never change valve position while the system is under pressure. The Nautilus panel........

Attachments

• BBT-032-00002_00.default.jpg
    BBT-032-00002_00.default.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom