Grand Design RL27 Fireplace current draw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Getting a 2015 GD 27RL delivered tomorrow. It has an electric fireplace. Couldn't find anything in the specs regarding the electrical load of the fireplace. Can it be run off a 20a. 120v supply to the camper?

thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.

Getting a 2015 GD 27RL delivered tomorrow. It has an electric fireplace. Couldn't find anything in the specs regarding the electrical load of the fireplace. Can it be run off a 20a. 120v supply to the camper?

thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.
Almost all of these RV fireplaces draw right at 12 amps at 120VAC
It's cheaper and easier to just run one of those little space heaters with the fan. The kind you put in your bathroom on the floor.

It's cheaper and easier to just run one of those little space heaters with the fan. The kind you put in your bathroom on the floor.
Most space heaters are 1500 watts and draw 12.5 amps so how is that any better than just using the aforementioned electric fireplace?
Our Keystone Cougar has one of those fireplaces and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of heat it puts out.

Most space heaters are 1500 watts and draw 12.5 amps so how is that any better than just using the aforementioned electric fireplace?
Our Keystone Cougar has one of those fireplaces and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of heat it puts out.
Maybe if you run them on "Hi". I'm talking about the little bathroom space heater that has a 'Lo', Med', and "'Hi' setting - 500/750/1500. Get two of them, put one on each end of your trailer and set them each on low. More than enough to warm my 30-foot MH or TT on 15 degree nights.

We bought a 2005 Grand Junction 5er with a Dimplex fireplace in the living room area (back section of trailer) it would help on chilly mornings for a quick warmup of the living room/kitchen lower section of the 5er.
I stopped using it after the recall was issued due to fires behind the unit. The remote switch in the 120VAC cord would get hot and catch fire.

We bought a 2005 Grand Junction 5er with a Dimplex fireplace in the living room area (back section of trailer) it would help on chilly mornings for a quick warmup of the living room/kitchen lower section of the 5er.
I stopped using it after the recall was issued due to fires behind the unit. The remote switch in the 120VAC cord would get hot and catch fire.
If it was a recall, how come you didn't get it fixed?

As you have probably deduced by now, those fireplaces are nothing more than a space heater. Having said that there are much more efficient space heaters out there. We're currently semi-boondocked at a friends house with just a 20 amp service. If you pay attention you can run quite nicely on just a 20 amp. Coffee maker and space heater at the same time can cause sudden darkness and silence when the breaker trips. Also, ANYTHING and the electric water heater will have the same result.

Maybe if you run them on "Hi". I'm talking about the little bathroom space heater that has a 'Lo', Med', and "'Hi' setting - 500/750/1500. Get two of them, put one on each end of your trailer and set them each on low. More than enough to warm my 30-foot MH or TT on 15 degree nights
I have NEVER seen a space heater that only had an on/off button and ran only on the high setting ALL the time. They all have low/med/high settings.
Also the OP never mentioned heating any specific area. He was just asking about the electrical load of the fireplace.

I have NEVER seen a space heater that only had an on/off button and ran only on the high setting ALL the time. They all have low/med/high settings.
Also the OP never mentioned heating any specific area. He was just asking about the electrical load of the fireplace.
You said, "Most space heaters are 1500 watts and draw 12.5 amps...". I only replied that there are ones that have multiple settings and are more efficient and cheaper than running the fireplace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom