Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArmyDude2007

We current own a 2012 Crossroads Cruiser 315RE Patriot Edition. It was our first 5th wheel and we have not had one problem with it since we bought it new. We are considering trading it in for a new 5th wheel. We have now learned what features we would like on the next 5th wheel. I definitely want 6 jack hydraulic self leveling (It's easier on the marriage  :)). If we don't trade we are perfectly happy keeping it for another camping season.

I have looked at Forest River Blue Ridge and Cardinal, Evergreen Bay Hill, Keystone Montana and Grand Design Solitude.

I know Grand Design is a fairly new company started by two former Keystone Executives. I have read lot's of reviews about Grand Design and the product awards they have won. Most of the reviews where very positive. They have incorporated lot's of high end features into a good mid level price point. I'm going to drive 75 miles next week to go look at a Solitude 5th Wheel.

Does Anyone in this forum own a Grand Design product?? I would like to have some first hand feedback on their quality and the experience they have had since buying a Solitude.

The solitude has some fresh features not seen in the industry, however their plant is across the street from Lippert Industries. So with that said, there are a lot of Lippert components on the coach. How is the Lippert Level-up 6 point leveling system REALLY??

My wife loves the new Forest River Blue Ridge 3125RT floorplan. But Forest River products scare me based on the large number of horror stories from customers and dealers alike. If someone can weigh in on that I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for everyones time and thoughts.

I just upgraded from a class C to a fifth wheel.  We looked at almost all of the new brands over the last several months.  Solitude was one of the ones we considered.  Ended up buying a 2014 Montana 3402RL, for the extra sink/medicine chest in the bedroom, double width shower, separate room for the toilet and another sink/medicine chest, and the options (all that were offered were already installed).

We really liked the Solitude, but a few things we noticed.  Solitude does not have a rear cap, but rather the flat back and bumper.  Not to our liking.  Also, the interior layout and kitchen was not my wife's favorite.  Just a question on personal wants, I guess.  For the money we just decided the Montana 3402RL was a better fit and the extras were very nice.  It came with all of the "packages" that were offered except the generator, which I wouldn't have wanted anyway.  As far as the six point leveling, it's great.  The only issue I had was:  It gave an error "Out of stroke" while auto-leveling.  When I wanted to retract the rear levelers manually, it wouldn't operate.  Said it was too "un-level".  Well, DUH!  That's why I wanted to raise 'em!  So I could add a few blocks under the legs.  I had to jack up the rear with a floor jack and then retract the legs.  Once the blocks were in place, all went smooth.  Could have been "operator error" though.  I've only used them once.  I guess you're supposed to be semi-level before you start or it has a problem.  I read all kinds of bad opinions of the Montana, but I think they must have addressed most of the problems, 'cause I really like mine!  This is NOT a sales pitch for Montana.  Just my own experience.  Get what you like and don't drive yourself crazy listening to opinions.

We bought our first fifth-wheel about 6 months ago.  We did a lot of research and looked at several.  We chose the Montana 2900FB.  The high end finishes and the four season rating were the things that swayed us.  We are full-timers and have had no problems.  Absolutely love the  auto-leveling system.  We did have to recalibrate it as it was off initially, but now everything is great.  Wouldn't want to be without it.

We love our Solitude 305RE.  We were pretty convinced that we were going to buy a Montana or a Big Horn until we saw the Solitude.  The build quality is great and we really appreciate the level up system.  You might want to go over to the Grand Design owners' forum (http://www.granddesignowners.com/forum/forum.php )to get an idea of how well Grand Design treat their customers.

Blue Ridge is not a high end Forest River product.  They may be placed there but there has been a lot of comments about lack of quality in them.  Someone mentioned that they were not impressed with FR quality.  But in all honesty FR is a large manufacturer like Thor.  There are lots of price points in their lineup and quality can vary from plant to plant. So I tend to question his comments.  Personally I would put my 9 year old Cedar Creek against any other fifth wheels in the same price point any day.  I can count on one hand the number of problems I have had and those can all be chalked up to normal wear and tear items.

I love the Solitude and would have bought one in a heartbeat if they had the Solitude in a bunkhouse.  We ended up ordering a Montana Mountaineer 356TBF.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I agree with "meternerd" regarding no rear fiberglass cap on the Solitude. That is one item that is making me hesitate. The flat back on the coach looks too plain for a coach in that price point. I might walk away just because of that. That's just me and my eye for asthetics.

I have spend many hours/days online and walking through 5th wheels while researching all brands of 5th wheels until my eyes are crossed. The all have their good points and they all will have their issues. It is really important for me to see how they are built and find a floorplan that works for us. I look very closely at the mechanical items that can cause major problems. That is one reason I am interested in the Lippert Level-up 6 point system and how it really works in the "real world". I am also looking closely at the Schwintek slide mechanism that is being installed on alot of new coaches these days. During research I have found several unhappy people with the Schwintek slide, even on this forum site. I have no problem fixing a few doors or drawers that get shaken loose on todays highways. I just what to identify the major components that can cause significant issues at the campsite while setting up or tearing down.

I was disappointed when NuWa HitchHiker when out of business. I was looking at the Discover America's when I bought my Crossroads Cruiser in 2012. Unfortunately it was out of my price range at the time. Now 2 years later I would buy one in a minute. I understand Peterson Industries (Excel) in Kansas is starting to manufacture HitchHikers again. I have looked at their new 2015 HitchHiker online, but it was not the floorplan we want. Who knows, maybe we will wait another year and enjoy our "Cruiser" and see what the folks in Kansas come up with. 

I am still going to look at a Solitude 305 RE tomorrow. So I am still doing my homework. Thanks

Martin 

When I was shopping for a new 5th wheel I too looked at literally 100's.  The Solitude 369RL was about the third unit we looked at, and all day long looking at others we kept thinking how nice the Solitude was.  Long story short, we ended up buying the Solitude. I am totally pleased with it. Right now we are in the 3rd week of a 4 week road trip..
Oh yeah, we've had our Solitude for over a year now

Gsport, thanks for the info. Glad to hear your Solitude is everything you wanted it to be. I'm looking at either the 305RE or the same model as you, the 369RL. It's hard to gather much information on Grand Design products since they are so new and most people have not heard of them yet. I have been looking and researching 5th Wheels until my brain is numb. Enjoy the Solitude.  ;D

We have a 2011 Cardinal 39.5 ft and it is a beauty.  (Just like brand new.)  Actually hate to get rid of it but, after we saw the Solitude 369, we couldn't stop thinking about it.  Love the floor plan and especially the furniture.  We had looked at a lot of RV's before we settled on the Solitude 369.  We actually take delivery next Friday on July 11, 2014.  The day we purchased it happened to be the same day that Grand Design's General Manager was at the dealership and he talked with us the entire time we were there.  Very nice gentleman.  We especially liked the fact that Grand Design has a 3 year warranty on everything and also has 6 pt leveling.  We've seen only positive reviews about the RV and the company.

This is my dilemma.....I have a bad back (rods in lower back) and bad neck, plus a hip replacement and a bad knee.  The mattress on the Solitude is memory foam and when I laid on it, it seemed very hard.  The dealership told me that I could swap mattresses from my old RV to the new one.  Dilemma is I've never slept on memory foam.  I don't know if I would be better off keeping the memory foam or swapping it for my Trump Home mattress, which is comfortable but it hasn't been slept on much either.  Would I be making a mistake keeping the memory foam?
Anybody out there have anything to say about the Solitude memory foam mattress or the Trump Home mattress in the Cardinal by Forest River?
Thanks,
Lidreaux

Looks like an Evergreen Bay Hill clone, e had a bay hill for a few short weeks it was an electrical nightmare, dealer actually bought it back from us. They can all look pretty but I've learned to expect minor issues no matter what. Out of the bay hill into an Open Road 345RLS so far so good. Added a bunch of goodies so we're comfortable in many ways. Trail air pin box, Firestone ride rite airbags, dual Trojan T105 6V batteries w/ portable 120A GoPower solar charger, Pullrite auto slide hitch, 50A hardwire surge guard surge protection, Fantastic fan in the bathroom, Airflow fan vent covers and a bedroom A/C unit as a back-up. Changed the no name TV's to Samsung's, Installed Samsung blue ray player and a Bose sound bar for the LR TV. Using Directv Genie with a portable sat dish. Kept the original 12V deep cycle battery for use with a power inverter.

I think I would go with the bed I found comfortable. Memory foam isn't magical - it's just an good cushioning material. It gets made into all kinds of beds, some of which may not be what you find pleasing.

I have enjoyed all of the comments about the Solitude 369RL as it is one of the ones we are looking at as well. We also like the Montana 3611RL and surprisingly, the Big Country 3650RL has a very nice floor plan, I am just not sure of the quality of the Heartland when compared to Solitude and Montana.  Does anyone have any experience with the Big Country?  And, of course we are looking at the Jayco Pinnacle, although most of those floor plans are too big for us as we want to stay under 40 feet to make sure we can get into most of the National and State parks.

New buyer, still looking.

I had to have a bunk house. The solitude was my first choice but still went with grand design and a reflection 323 BHS instead. We looked at a Montannas, and found its interior to look on the cheap side compared to a grand design products. Same for many other models. I shopped for several months and wore out my welcome at more than one dealer and in the end bought a Grand Design product and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Ive not had any issues but as mentioned if you look their customer satisfaction and service leaves all the others in the dust.

We're stuck with TTs because of my need for my truck bed. We're looking at upper end TTs and the only one I like better is the Blackstone from Outdoors. I've only seen one and it was a year old. The Reflection from Grand Design is our number one right now because the closest dealer for Blackstone is in Denver. We're not trading up until next year so I have  awhile to look, and look closely... From what I've seen and read you won't be disappointed with a Grand Design product. I hope they keep their quality and customer service up to what the owners are reporting these days. Good luck and safe travels...

My husband and i owned a KX sportsman lx fifth wheel for 8 years... last year we decided to buy a bigger fith wheel to accomodate our grandchildren.. We ended up buying a 2014 Grand Design Solitude 379 FL ,, they were selling as used since the original person purchased it and lost their job, so we were told we  were basically buying at a new trailer at a small discount.  Anyway.. parked the trailer at our seasonal site last september.... this year we decided to pull the trailer out... Welll first of all the landing grear did not work... we had to find out how to override the system,, then lucky us decided to stop for breakfast,, went in to  check the trailer and the found out our fridge does not work on propane.. found an rv dealer who could help us ... $500 later to replace the board in the fridge.  then a few days later on our trip found out our front cap is discoloring from condensation. other problems to note,, the kitchen slide ripped the floor,  the lights on the ceiling fall out.... other than that love the trailer.. ha ha.... now i know all trailers have issues.. however with my other trailers .. when you called the dealership or the maker of the trailer they seemed concerned about the quality.. NOT GRAND DESIGN,,,, they told me
Debbie?.thanks for the information.  Grand Design?s RV warranty does extend to a second owner only for the remaining time left from the original date of purchase.  This unit was originally purchased 2/6/2014 so the full 1 year warranty expired on 2/6/2015.  I do apologize but Grand Design RV will not be able to assist you with the front cap issues.....
the other issued i had to address with the dealership  WOODYS RV and that was very agonizing.
It is funny when you spend close to 90,000 on a trailer you would expect them to care about the quality...
Lesson learned.... in my opinion they are beautfiul trailers however they are like a bic lighter and will probably have to replace in a couple of years....

Back
Top Bottom