Greetings from another ham radio operator (WB5AGF)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul - WB5AGF

Hello;

I found myself 'here ' while searching for a decent photograph of Ed Juge (W5EJ).

I've been (somewhat) active on the Find-A-Grave memorials Website for several years and a few minutes ago found responsibility for Ed's Memorial being 'tossed-into-my-lap ' by the Find-A-Grave system while I was trying to have some biographical data entered onto Ed's Memorial (there was almost nothing there about him).

The person, who had opened the Memorial for Ed years ago, had himself died quite awhile back and the Find-A-Grave system (some errant strand of computer code I suspect) was 'looking ' for someone to take responsibility for Ed's Memorial.

I don't believe that I ever spoke with Ed over Amateur Radio but I stopped by his store (Ed Juge Electronics, in Ft Worth) in the late 1960s when I was a teenager. I remember the experience because it was in his store that I saw my first slow-scan TV (SSTV) equipment in operation.

(The Find-A-Grave system gave me responsibility for Jim Haynie's Memorial (Jim, W5JBP, was President of the ARRL in the early 2000s and I knew him slightly) a few years ago for the same reason.)
----------------------

(a bit about me)

I'm a retired Electrical Engineer (Texas A&M '78). I spent just over 20 years in telecommunications (my first job was as a Microwave Field Engineer for Collins Radio when it was owned by Rockwell-International) and then about 8 years in the semiconductor world as a Design & Applications Engineer for Texas Instruments (TI).

I was very briefly (~7 months) the 'Principal Systems Engineer ' (what a lofty title - how sad it was mainly fluff ) for an antenna development group that was a tiny part of Raytheon .... roughly 6 weeks after I'd been hired-on Raytheon announced that they didn't want to be in our market and told us that we were being put-up-for-sale ... that's why I ended-up working for TI.

I spent 4 years in the Air Force back in the early & mid 1970s with an 18 month tour at an intelligence monitoring site that was about 50 miles from Istanbul (Turkey) and another year-and-a-half at McClellan AFB on the north side of Sacramento (Calif) .... I got to do some hamming from McClellan (what fun).

I've been retired now since early 2009 when Texas Instruments pushed-me-out-the-door for the third time in 9 years (I'd had enough).

- Paul

PS - I would like permission to use a picture of Ed Juge from this group and put it on his Find-A-Grave Memorial.

-30-

Greetings, Paul, from Larry (N8GGG). I expect Tom (head admin) will be by after while. Ed was SK before I got to this forum, but I do hear something about him here on occasion.

Greetings, Paul, from Larry (N8GGG). I expect Tom (head admin) will be by after while. Ed was SK before I got to this forum, but I do hear something about him here on occasion.
Hi Larry;

It was while performing a 'Google Search ' that I came across this 'thread' here on the RV Forum :

It has at least one picture of W5EJ that I think would be reasonable to post on his Find-A-Grave Memorial ... I always try and get an OK to use a photo if there's a reasonable chance that I'll find someone (an individual) that can approve it.

(a comment that will initially sound-off-thread .... but bear-with-me)
I watch a fair number of 'who-done-it ' detective shows (the whole of the British Isles must be positively awash-with-crime-and-criminals from all the police shows on 'britbox' (a streaming service from the UK) ). One of the investigator's favorite sayings is that evidence begins to deteriorate immediately after the crime.

In a (somewhat) similar fashion the pertinent details about a person's life begin to immediately fade when they die and the quicker some details can be put-to-paper ('er ... put-down-in-print in whatever medium is being used) .... the better.

I thought that Ed Juge deserved to have something recorded about his life .... so when the Find-A-Grave system 'asked me ' if I'd be willing to take-over ... I clicked-the-button ... and it was done.

(I was positively startled a few years back to find that there wasn't a Find-A-Grave Memorial for Warren Bruene, W5OLY, so I created one. Warren was one of the almost mythical-figures from the 'old-days' at Collins Radio. (Warren wrote 'THE ' definitive article on directional RF Wattmeters in QST in 1969.) I knew Warren (very slightly) from having met him at a computer conference in the late 1980s (I'd just bought a book that he co-authored) and was highly amused when he and Walt Maxwell, W2DU, had a long-running 'argument ' in the pages of QST over the output impedance of RF amplifiers that used tetrode vacuum tubes. Their back-and-forth 'pokes ' at each other were so highly technical that I sometimes couldn't tell what they were saying.)

- Paul, WB5AGF

Reading the fine print of the site here:

By posting content on the Application you warrant that you are the creator and owner of the posted content, or that you have obtained prior written consent to post said content from a third party owner.

Not that the presence of content proves it was posted free and clear, but I don't think the site owners/moderators have any direct consent power either. Maybe if there's traceability to whoever posted it 20 years ago one can go to the source but I'm thinking there's little left to consent to. It would be highly unusual for a photo of someone to be copyrighted, and anyone caring 20 years after their passing.

Kinda nice someone is chasing this down after all this time. For most of us our demise will be a comment or a footnote then fading to obscurity.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Kinda nice someone is chasing this down after all this time. For most of us our demise will be a comment or a footnote then fading to obscurity.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark;

You're in a philosophical mood this morning : " ..... or a footnote then fading to obscurity."

Of course .... there are ways to stave-off 'fading to obscurity' ..... be notorious ....

I was reading the other day something that Alphonse Capone ('Big Al ') supposedly said :

"You can get more with a smile and a gun than you can with a smile alone."

Even if Big Al didn't say that .... he should have ....

- Paul, WB5AGF

Hello;

I found myself 'here ' while searching for a decent photograph of Ed Juge (W5EJ).

I've been (somewhat) active on the Find-A-Grave memorials Website for several years and a few minutes ago found responsibility for Ed's Memorial being 'tossed-into-my-lap ' by the Find-A-Grave system while I was trying to have some biographical data entered onto Ed's Memorial (there was almost nothing there about him).

The person, who had opened the Memorial for Ed years ago, had himself died quite awhile back and the Find-A-Grave system (some errant strand of computer code I suspect) was 'looking ' for someone to take responsibility for Ed's Memorial.

I don't believe that I ever spoke with Ed over Amateur Radio but I stopped by his store (Ed Juge Electronics, in Ft Worth) in the late 1960s when I was a teenager. I remember the experience because it was in his store that I saw my first slow-scan TV (SSTV) equipment in operation.

(The Find-A-Grave system gave me responsibility for Jim Haynie's Memorial (Jim, W5JBP, was President of the ARRL in the early 2000s and I knew him slightly) a few years ago for the same reason.)
----------------------

(a bit about me)

I'm a retired Electrical Engineer (Texas A&M '78). I spent just over 20 years in telecommunications (my first job was as a Microwave Field Engineer for Collins Radio when it was owned by Rockwell-International) and then about 8 years in the semiconductor world as a Design & Applications Engineer for Texas Instruments (TI).

I was very briefly (~7 months) the 'Principal Systems Engineer ' (what a lofty title - how sad it was mainly fluff ) for an antenna development group that was a tiny part of Raytheon .... roughly 6 weeks after I'd been hired-on Raytheon announced that they didn't want to be in our market and told us that we were being put-up-for-sale ... that's why I ended-up working for TI.

I spent 4 years in the Air Force back in the early & mid 1970s with an 18 month tour at an intelligence monitoring site that was about 50 miles from Istanbul (Turkey) and another year-and-a-half at McClellan AFB on the north side of Sacramento (Calif) .... I got to do some hamming from McClellan (what fun).

I've been retired now since early 2009 when Texas Instruments pushed-me-out-the-door for the third time in 9 years (I'd had enough).

- Paul

PS - I would like permission to use a picture of Ed Juge from this group and put it on his Find-A-Grave Memorial.

-30-
Apologies Paul, I missed your introductory message, and just saw your message at the Help Desk (thanks for following up). I see no reason you shouldn't use that photo of Ed, just give accreditation to the source. I have one or more other photos of Ed, but they include other forum members.

There are a few photos of Ed with his wife Jo in the same thread, but I don't know if Jo is still around:

There's also one of his store.

Apologies Paul, I missed your introductory message, and just saw your message at the Help Desk (thanks for following up). I see no reason you shouldn't use that photo of Ed, just give accreditation to the source. I have one or more other photos of Ed, but they include other forum members.

There are a few photos of Ed with his wife Jo in the same thread, but I don't know if Jo is still around:

There's also one of his store.
Hello Tom;

I'd like to see those other photos. My standard practice is to apply a bit of photo editing when needed and that includes focusing on the person of interest when working from a group photo.

(I looked a few days ago and it appeared that Jo might be living in Oklahoma. She had let her ham call lapse as it was held by someone else.)

Regards;

Paul, WB5AGF

Hello Tom;

I'd like to see those other photos. My standard practice is to apply a bit of photo editing when needed and that includes focusing on the person of interest when working from a group photo.

(I looked a few days ago and it appeared that Jo might be living in Oklahoma. She had let her ham call lapse as it was held by someone else.)

Regards;

Paul, WB5AGF
Here's the one I recall:

Tres hombres

You coulď browse/search our Media (button above) to see if any more were posted.

Tom;

It's done (at least for now).

See what you think :

Regards;

Paul, WB5AGF

Tom;

It's done (at least for now).

See what you think :

Regards;

Paul, WB5AGF
Nice photo edit/cleanup.

Latest posts