Greetings from Florida!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those big wheels effectively alter your rear axle ratio - does anybody remember whether it goes up or down as wheel size increases? I always get confused!  Anyway, just make sure you have as much "whoa" as you have "go"!  :eek:  If you buy a used trailer, it might be worthwhile to have the trailer brakes checked at a professional brake shop that understands electric brakes.  They can get out of whack and it is often hard to tell unless a wheel actually locks up.

Gary-
I believe the allowable tow weight goes down as the wheels getter bigger.  Per my manual, the same truck with 17" wheels has al slightly higher towing capacity.

Seems logical that larger diameter wheels = higher gear ratio (lower number) and lower towing capacity.

2nd- I have the truck and trailer out in front of the house - going out this weekend.  I will take a look tonight and get back with you.

2nd
Looks like in 2004 the setup youhave for conventional towing is 8100 lbs with the short wheelbase, 9500 with the longer wheelbase.  The supercab with short bed is liketly the shorter w/b.  There is nothing in the information about how the wheels will affect the rating, but my question is what kind of tire?  Low profile?  Regular walled?  Load rating? 

This is also based on you having an automatic tranny.

I will look for th4e 2005 book, but all I have online right now is 2004.  For all the same characteristics it is probably the same or within a small percentage.

Travel trailers are in short supply right now at the entry levels, they are getting shipped to the hurricane victims.  The bigger nicer ones are here. 

PancakeBill-
From what I have gathered both from my owner's manual and www.ford.fleet.com the max towing capacity for my setup is 8100#.  The 18" wheels reduce the max by 500# from the ratings with 17' wheels.

We are definitely seeing the shortage of TTs since Katrina and Rita.

2ndTime said:
PancakeBill-
From what I have gathered both from my owner's manual and www.ford.fleet.com the max towing capacity for my setup is 8100#.  The 18" wheels reduce the max by 500# from the ratings with 17' wheels.

We are definitely seeing the shortage of TTs since Katrina and Rita.

While talking with the sales department where I work part time they stated they can not order any new trailers. Even customers that have orders pending will not get their units until the need is satisfied for the unfortunate in the Southeast.

We do have some pre-owned units and some new units, just not the usull selection of either. 

Jim, when are you coming down?  My folks arrived on Saturday.  We have some spaces you could get for a night or three in our park if you can stop in for a couple days.  My days off vary but if I know I can try to work around it.  Yu must be anxious to get the coach 'winterized'.

PancakeBill said:
We do have some pre-owned units and some new units, just not the usull selection of either. 

Jim, when are you coming down?  My folks arrived on Saturday.  We have some spaces you could get for a night or three in our park if you can stop in for a couple days.  My days off vary but if I know I can try to work around it.  Yu must be anxious to get the coach 'winterized'.

Bill,

We will be leaving GA on 7 November. Had planned on going directly to TGO. If there is an opportunity to visit on the way we would be open to the occasion. Not a big deal to travel I4 as opposed to I10.

As I tell all of my customers, the ONLY way to winterize is drive it south!!! We are currently visiting iwth the Parks. Will leave tomorrow for decatur, IN for service work. The SE rally is next and then Florida!!!

Jim

Please say hello to the Parks for us, we have missed stopping by there.  Enjoy the SE Rally, and see you sometime along the way.  Drive safe.

Jim Dick said:
Bill,

We will be leaving GA on 7 November. Had planned on going directly to TGO. If there is an opportunity to visit on the way we would be open to the occasion. Not a big deal to travel I4 as opposed to I10.

As I tell all of my customers, the ONLY way to winterize is drive it south!!! We are currently visiting iwth the Parks. Will leave tomorrow for decatur, IN for service work. The SE rally is next and then Florida!!!

Jim

Jim,
I know you have money to burn  :), but if you want to get the most out of cheap (relatively) Georgia fuel, you may want to consider coming to TGO via Waycross and cutting over to hit I-95 at the last GA exit to fill up. Lowest price for diesel at that exit. That way you'll have a stockpile before you get sticker shock in Titusville.

Once you get here, be sure to come to Zephyrhills and fill up at the Hess on 301.  2 stations, right now 2.85, but 3.29 at Flying J here at lazy Days. 

Best price I found on my way down in August was NJ Tpke, 2.27. 

Talking about diesel.

PancakeBill said:
Once you get here, be sure to come to Zephyrhills and fill up at the Hess on 301.? 2 stations, right now 2.85, but 3.29 at Flying J here at lazy Days.?

Best price I found on my way down in August was NJ Tpke, 2.27.?

Talking about diesel.

Well, that 2.27 was August but that 2.85 price is better than anything I have seen in GA, SC or NC the last days. Is it a current price?

2.85 was Wesds, the station I went by last night was 2.89.  The other station may have still been 2.85.  I usually have to wait for big trucks to fill up there.  They lag the bigger station by a few days. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom