Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo2872

Greetings, from the Sooner nation!  I'm an Okie, that recently got bitten by the "let's convert a BUS!" bug.....happened innocuosly enough, when I was browsing CraigsList, and tumbled across a charter bus for what I thought seemed a darn good price.  Well, other than thinking, hey, that would make a great RV!, I pretty much passed it off without a second thought.

Ha.  The seed had been planted, and while it's not sprouted yet......it certainly is taking root fast enough.  I cannot quit thinking about what a fun and challenging project this would be.  So, I'm assuming like many of my other "projects" in the past, once it takes hold, an RV bug won't let go until satisfied??  Am I insane? 

So, let me have it, tell me to turn and run, tell me to go for it, tell me what your experiences have been!

Thanks!
Todd
Tulsa, OK

Welcome to the RV Forum.
I looked into this many years ago and decided to pass and by a diesel RV. I am not trying to discourage you as many have done this.

We have a section on Bus Conversions so check it out and keep us posted on your progress.

Also Check out:
Bus Conversion magazine:
https://www.busconversions.com/

Bus Nut Online:
http://www.busnut.com/home.html

and the following website has many leads:
http://www.busconversion101.com/

Todd,

There are too many variables for me to give a yes or no answer.
1 your skill level
2 tools available
3  space available
4 bus type and condition
About 15 years ago, I bought a 1979 MCI MC 8 and started on the conversion.  S--- happened and I was off work for 6 months, so I sold it to buy unimportant stuff, like groceries.  Before retirement, I started looking at another one.  My wife said,  " Are we going to travel or are you going to work on a bus?" I immediatly started looking at fifth wheels. I do wish sometimes I had bought a bus, just for the "WOW" factor.
Converting a bus is a long slow process. Over 70% of the ones that get started are finished by someone else. If  you are young and not planning on using it for 2-3 years go for it. It helps to have an RV junk yard nearby. Or buy a wreck for parts and appliances.  I had already named the MCI---- Miss Be Gotten

Thanks for the replies!

Skill level....well, my avatar pic is my latest "project".  It taught me......much!  Only thing that would "scare" me, to start with, on a bus, is the electrical systems.  Design, integration, etc.....but, I'm fairly certain I could learn, and/or lean on some people I know for assistance. 

Tools......got plenty of those!

Space.....I live on an acre + lot, and have a detached shop, though not big enough to hold a bus, so would likely pour a pad behind the shop for the bus to "live" on. 

Bus type.....haven't really "decided" on one yet, but really like these particular ones:
http://www.nwbus.com/coach-buses-for-sale/1990-used-coach-mci-102-c3-47-pass-motor-coach-c43371

or

http://www.lasvegasbussales.com/coach-buses-for-sale/used-coach-for-sale-1996-van-hool-t845-for-59-passengers-and-1-co-pilot-c28441

Thoughts?

I'm fairly "young", at 42, so it wouldn't have to be a "right now" thing.  I'm intrigued by the "can I do it?" aspect.

I've also considered/looked at some "In progress" ones for sale, or even an "older" finished one that could be updated.  Maybe that would be a better route to pursue.

There are several problems with doing a bus conversion. Number one, you will never get the money out of the RV when you go to sell it. Consider it a black hole for money. Second, it is going to cost you a whole lot more time and money than you ever dreamed of. Quadruple your current estimates to get into the ballpark. Third, many RV parks will not allow a bus conversion on the property. You will still be able to go to state and federal campgrounds but most of those don't have hookups. Fourth, for the amount of money it is going to cost you then you could instead buy a heck of a nice RV that needs very little work.

SeilerBird said:
There are several problems with doing a bus conversion. Number one, you will never get the money out of the RV when you go to sell it. Consider it a black hole for money. Second, it is going to cost you a whole lot more time and money than you ever dreamed of. Quadruple your current estimates to get into the ballpark. Third, many RV parks will not allow a bus conversion on the property. You will still be able to go to state and federal campgrounds but most of those don't have hookups. Fourth, for the amount of money it is going to cost you then you could instead buy a heck of a nice RV that needs very little work.

LMAO!  Sounds like it is JUST the project for me, then!  ALL my projects are "black holes for money"!  (Although, I did build a mighty fine front end loader for my garden tractor that has more than paid for itself not having to rent a bigger unit!)  Thanks for the input!

I am quite sure you can do it.  But there are many levels of "doing it." Cabinetry fit and finish, floor, plumbing, propane lines and wiring can be done to look professional or jury rigged.  Covering off the extra windows and raising the roof need a good body man. It will take a good skill level in many different areas to have a well done conversion. But, after you are done, you will be able to fix anything that goes wrong in the rv art. And, you can take pride in your job. Like I said, I was considering it when I retired, but we wanted to get on the road worse. What would you do after you finished it? That bus would be 24 years older when you retire and really get a chance to use it. But, it is your dime.

Otn their death bed,  most people regret the things that they didn't do more than the things they did.

halfwright said:
Otn their death bed,  most people regret the things that they didn't do more than the things they did.

^ That, I would like to avoid! 

Bodywork, cabinetry, plumbing I feel pretty confident in my abilities to avoid "jury rigged" looking, while maybe not quite "professional".  Electrical......that would be my #1 hurdle to jump, which makes purchasing an "older" conversion a bit more attractive, and updating to our "tastes".  The other plus side of that, we could use it right away with our boys.  I've seen some ads for some older ones that are quite tempting!

Although lacking of pictures, this one looks like an interesting starting point......
http://www.bargainbusnews.com/Buses/3051-1976TMCCrusaderII/

Lots of prepwork done, new tires, water/waste tanks, and EL panel, windows skinned......hmmmm.....and I even could live with the paint.......

Gaaaah!  It IS an addiction!!! 

You need to watch out for buses from the northern US or Canada. They will be rusted badly--not the stainless steel skins, but the steel parts. Nuts will be frosen onto bolts. Braces and brckets will have failed. 
And, the price on that one is at least $10000 too high.

Another good thing about it is the one piece door.

mo2872 said:
Although lacking of pictures, this one looks like an interesting starting point......
http://www.bargainbusnews.com/Buses/3051-1976TMCCrusaderII/

Take a look at #6881. This is a completed conversion and all it would probably need is a little tweaking to fit your needs and it's only about $8,000 more than the one you're looking at. There are many others also for around $20,000 more. To me that would be the way to go.  Of course that's me. 

Rene T said:
Take a look at #6881. This is a completed conversion and all it would probably need is a little tweaking to fit your needs and it's only about $8,000 more than the one you're looking at. There are many others also for around $20,000 more. To me that would be the way to go.  Of course that's me.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with that sentiment.  "Tweaking" to fit, more than an entire conversion.  Though I've not ruled that out TOTALLY yet! 

#6881 has potential.....so long as I can program those horns on top to play, "Boomer Sooner!"......LOL.

halfwright said:
You need to watch out for buses from the northern US or Canada. They will be rusted badly--not the stainless steel skins, but the steel parts. Nuts will be frosen onto bolts. Braces and brckets will have failed. 
And, the price on that one is at least $10000 too high.

Another good thing about it is the one piece door.

Yup, well aware of the Great White North and corroded pieces!  Some of the guys on the car forums I visit are incredibly brave bringing back some of the cars they do!

Yes, I like the one-piece door as well.  Trying to stick with one like that.  (think I saw that recommendation on conversions101 site....)

Hmmm....has some possibilities.....minor tweaking to make it "mine".....errr......"ours"......

http://www.motorhomeclassifieds.com/206287.html

Back
Top Bottom