Grey Water Indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

Just bought a used 2007 Montana. I believe it has a 72 gallon grey water tank. but after 3-4 showers the indicator light show 3/4 full.  That can't be. Fast showers with nozzle off went soaping up, then rinse. I heard of black water indicator getting gunked up but not grey water. Any ideas. Thanks

Gray and black tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate.  Add some water softener to the tank and rinse as best you can.  If you are lucky....  Otherwise, try the visual method??

I think you'll be shocked to find out that your gray water tank is not 72 gallons. I think you'll find it's ckloser to 35 or 40 gallons. I have a 2011 Montana and it's 40 gallons.

Rene T said:
I think you'll be shocked to find out that your gray water tank is not 72 gallons. I think you'll find it's ckloser to 35 or 40 gallons. I have a 2011 Montana and it's 40 gallons.
When I go to Montana site and click specs for each year, it says 2007 grey water is 93 gallons.. check this
http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Montana&year=2011

and 2007 is 76 listed here
http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Montana&year=2007

albertm1960 said:
When I go to Montana site and click specs for each year, it says 2007 grey water is 93 gallons.. check this
http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Montana&year=2011

and 2007 is 76 listed here
http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Montana&year=2007

Divide it by 2 because you probably have two gray water tanks. One for the galley and one for the bathroom sink and shower.

Rene T said:
Divide it by 2 because you probably have two gray water tanks. One for the galley and one for the bathroom sink and shower.
So that must be why there is a Galley indicator..lol..So when I empty grey water it empties both tanks? wonder why two tanks. But it still seems strange that 3 short showers would fill tank to 2/3 even if its 30 gallons.  I would guess 2 gallons per shower??

You should have a drain valve on each tank. Look around for another valve handle. Mine is a 2011 and it was located just behind the drivers side rear tire. I had to get down on my knees to see it and get to it. I had a slide out right there also.  You may find that the galley tank is nearly full because the valve will be shut. Be prepared if you open it.  :eek: ::) ;)

My galley gray handle is like Rene's, I had to get on my knees to find it the first couple of times. It's mounted on the main beam of the frame, requiring me to reach way under to operate it. Easy to reach now after the first few times. Also, don't trust those little red lights. Mine are way off. I think my 2/3 rd's lights are a lot closer to 1/2.

kdbgoat said:
Also, don't trust those little red lights. Mine are way off. I think my 2/3 rd's lights are a lot closer to 1/2.

I agree as far as the lights. When my lights say full, I still have lots of room fro more fluid. I would guess maybe another 10 gallons. Try filling your gray tank for your shower till then full light goes on. Then using a five gallon bucket with water. keep adding water to the shower until you see the water level in then shower.
You can do the same thing for the other tanks.

Rene T said:
You should have a drain valve on each tank. Look around for another valve handle. Mine is a 2011 and it was located just behind the drivers side rear tire. I had to get down on my knees to see it and get to it. I had a slide out right there also.  You may find that the galley tank is nearly full because the valve will be shut. Be prepared if you open it.  :eek: ::) ;)
No other valve drain.  Though on driver side behind tire there is a screw drain, but thats for fresh water holding tank. So  not yet sure how to empty galley tank. Havnt lived in it yet to fill galley and see, but so maybe its connected to main grey valve and they empty at same time? Moving in there in about 4 weeks.

albertm1960 said:
No other valve drain.  Though on driver side behind tire there is a screw drain, but thats for fresh water holding tank. So  not yet sure how to empty galley tank. Havnt lived in it yet to fill galley and see, but so maybe its connected to main grey valve and they empty at same time? Moving in there in about 4 weeks.

I doubt that they are connected together but you never know. With the drain valve open, just run some water in your galley sink and see if it comes out of the sewer outlet. If it doesn't, you still have a valve someplace. Can you contact the seller?

I bought it at camping world, not sure they know, will try. Question, if there is another valve somewhere does it come out of the main sewer outlets like others or somewhere different, which seems odd because how would it connect to dumping area?

There are some rv's with a sewer outlet for that tank but you would see it under the RV just behind the rear axle. I don't think yours would be that way. I'm still saying you must have a valve someplace for that tank.

Update: I just looked at a brochure for a 2007 Montana and it didn't say anything about 2 gray water tanks. How about giving Keystone a call. Their CS Dept. may be able to help you. Have your Vin number ready when you call.

Maybe the manufacturer can e-mail you a schematic of the plumbing arrangements. Worth a shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom