Guitars and RVs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mike eddleman said:
You could get something like Gene simons Bass it's made of aluminum

I don't know...there's something about an electric guitar made of metal (even though you still get shocked through the stings/bridge).

Every electric guitar is set up to kill you. The way they are wired, you are the ground. The first one I ever made I thought I had a bad wiring Diagram. I talked to the owner of the local music store and he said it was bad but it was the only way they would play. I have tried many times to find another way of doing it, but it just will not work any other way

fastrak100 said:
I had a good laugh at the concept of electrocution by guitar.

I don't recall ever hearing of a musician dying from electrocution but shock stories abound.  I've been shocked many times and learned the best way to avoid it is not come in contact with a microphone (since I don't sing this is easy). 

When the Grateful Dead played at Woodstock their crew warned the show's stagehands that there was a grounding problem.  Their warnings went ignored and Bob Weir suffered a burn on his lip when a blue flash knocked him backwards at one point.

At the risk of going a tiny bit off topic (forgiveness required) and bearing in mind that we all have to go sometime.
Here is a list of the way that rRocka and Rollers have died:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_in_rock_and_roll
Of which you will only find two attributed to playing, and one of those was in their recording studio, not necessarily playing a guitar.
Which probably goes to show that it is safer to go on vacation with your guitar than to either drive or fly!

mike eddleman said:
Every electric guitar is set up to kill you. The way they are wired, you are the ground. The first one I ever made I thought I had a bad wiring Diagram. I talked to the owner of the local music store and he said it was bad but it was the only way they would play. I have tried many times to find another way of doing it, but it just will not work any other way

Not if you use a wireless transmitter. 3 volts generally won't kill you.

Luca1369 said:
I don't recall ever hearing of a musician dying from electrocution but shock stories abound. 
Ever hear of John Rostill of the Shadows? He died of electrocution by guitar. So did Keith Relf of the Yardbirds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_in_rock_and_roll

Still off topic:
Seilerbird see my reply above re. John Rostill (who was he anyway? Hank Marvin, Bruce Welsh, Brian Bennett, Jet Harris, Tony Mehan yes, but John Rostill? I know he played with them, but not iconic to me).
So who else of the milllions of Giterists have been killed. Still think it is safer than RVing.

fastrak100 said:
Still off topic:
Seilerbird see my reply above re. John Rostill (who was he anyway? Hank Marvin, Bruce Welsh, Brian Bennett, Jet Harris, Tony Mehan yes, but John Rostill? I know he played with them, but not iconic to me).
So who else of the milllions of Giterists have been killed. Still think it is safer than RVing.
He played with the Shadows. You would have to be English. Cliff Richard and the Shadows were the biggest thing in English music until some group from Liverpool upstaged them.

I have been playing guitar most of my life and RVing most of my life. Neither one has ever hurt me.

PancakeBill said:
What about the drummers in Spinal Tap?
I didn't know that they RV'ed! Did any of them die from RVing? I thought that they were mostly serial self combusters.
Certainly as drummers they were very unlikely to be electrocuted by a guitar.
Mind you when you look in the buses that groups have, the thought of being on the road for days on end for a tour .......................
This is getting very silly, I am off to bed (yes it's now 11.30 p.m. over here). But it has made a fun day.

I've carried along my Taylor "Baby" on three two month trips without any problems.  Sounds very good for a 3/4 sized guitar.  I leave my other two Taylors at home.

Ron

Hi Guys and gals,
I always bring my mando (collings MF5) and guitar (either my martin or taylor depending on my mood) whenever I travel . I bought them to play and if you are just a little bit carefull you can enjoy them where ever you are. Have great day and...
Keep on pickin !
Dan

I carry at least a guitar and banjo regularly, and sometimes a square neck resonator guitar. The travel guitars  and banjos are ok for practicing, but generally not for playing with others. The challenge i to find the space in the camper for them. In my old camper, I stored them in the over-cab bunk. Now I store them in the space between the rear bed and the back wall of my trailer. When not moving, sometimes I lay a folded towel in the base of the shower and stand them in the shower. The most important thing is to avoid high heat.

A reply on this thread made me realize:
I've had the Voyage-Air folding guitar for almost a year.  It has never given me a bit of trouble and I play it a lot more than I thought I would. Just going to hang out with friends or for church strum-alongs, I can throw it in the car and it doesn't take up the whole trunk!  And it never fails to start conversations wherever I take it and unfold it and then play it!

At $399 it does NOT compare to my Martin D-28, but the Martin is 7x the cost!

I think the Voyage-Air is a great guitar and a unique idea. It plays and sounds great and I take it places I wouldn't take my other guitars.

Their website is here: www.voyageairguitar.com

I'm one happy guitar-camper!

I just saw the Voyage-Air guitars for sale at a festival last weekend.  The problem was that the dealer didn't have one set up to play, so no one would consider buying one without hearing it.  Stupid dealer; at a festival full of RV's, and he didn't use his head.

Gottasmilealot said:
I just saw the Voyage-Air guitars for sale at a festival last weekend.  The problem was that the dealer didn't have one set up to play, so no one would consider buying one without hearing it.  Stupid dealer; at a festival full of RV's, and he didn't use his head.

You're kidding!  What festival was this, and where?  Those guitars are hard to find in stock anywhere these days!

Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival.  I believe Picker's Supply from Fredericksburg, VA, was the vendor, but don't hold me to that.

i never leave home without it. 1-acoustic/electric 1-tele.
you can run into some problems though. even with other musicians. bluegrassers wont play if you plug into an amp. rockers dont like country, country dont like rockers.
one place we were playing under the awning at 7pm and about 40 people were sitting in their lawn chaires listening and someone a couple rv's down said they were watching a movie and we were disturbing them. security came down telling us we had to shut it down. we didn't object, but the 40 people listening came close to running the security out of the park.
this being said, find the right place to play and obey the rules.

Back
Top Bottom