Gulf Stream Motor home class "C"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silent Thunder

The Gulf Stream 22' is my third motor home. I have owned a Winnebago 33' and Itasca 27', both "A's". Those two brands are the same except color combinations. I was pleased with both but the new 93 Winnebago 33' had to have the entire roof replaced under warranty and at 5,000 miles the engine (Chevy) needed a new radiator. I always considered the Winnebago brand the Chevy of motor homes. They made a ton of them and were pretty standard and nothing exotic. I see on this site many trashing the Gulf Stream. I believe they sell more "C's" than any other brand. Seemed to be a step up from the Winnebago, like from a Ford to a Mercury. If they sell so many "C's" they can't be as bad as many make them out to be. Maybe some of this is brand loyalty or snobbery? Who knows, maybe like some who trash Fords and drive Chevy's. They are both good brands or they would be gone in this economy. My Gulf Stream had over 7K in upgrades, leather seating, hardwood floors, granite counter tops etc. So my fit and finish is great. Just some thoughts for those considering a purchase.

I  think C's sell more because they tend to be cheaper, and the cab design makes people feel more comfortable driving, as it doesn't feel like driving a bus. Just my thoughts on it.

Post back on this thread when you put 15,000 miles on it and let us know how it's working out. The only MH problems that I really hate are roof leaks.
J

I don't think Gulfstream as a builder is inherently bad. What I have observed in my limited recent experience is that they suffer from quality control problems from time to time. I have seen both extremes in their BTCruiser line, both new units. In addition, Gulfstream themselves (not the dealer) were totally unresponsive to warranty issues during the covered period. Some the older units from this manufacturer seemed pretty good though.

They have suffered in the design dept. too. In the 2009 model they put a window in the front cap and raised the roof height about  6" as a result. They then simply raised all the kitchen cabinets and microwave up to meet the new roof height  to compensate. Unfortunately, in doing so, it made the cabinets difficult to access and the microwave very difficult to set and use for my supposedly height challenged friends (5'6") without using a portable step. They dumped the 2009 unit  after 1 year, losing a bundle too.

As a result of my observations, I have chosen to avoid that manufacturer.

Does this look like your typical Gulf Stream?

Attachments

• kitchen.JPG
    kitchen.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
  • frontinterior.JPG
    frontinterior.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 53
34footer said:
Looks like a Bounder. Nothing spectacular.
J

I guess my point is the only two brands I would pass on with all the nice units out there would be pace arrow and alfa.  ;D

Silent Thunder said:
I guess my point is the only two brands I would pass on with all the nice units out there would be pace arrow and alfa.  ;D
Me too, my next "new" coach will be mid nineties ForeTravel. Hope to find a 1995 in good shape, in about four years from now. Granite and wallpaper does not make a MH top quality, just pretty. I can do that to my Pace Arrow and travel with the $75k left over. ;D
J

I have a Gulf Stream A the only problems are self inflected. I have had several issues where constant factory help and advice was required. I have never had a problem and am on first name basis with the people I interact with. I have had window that need re-caulking, a basement door I bent to the point of replacement. Electrical questions and home entrainment connections all with Gulf Stream help.
The interior is solid Maple construction and I would likely buy again, unless I got a deal on something. Money is always my loyalty.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom