Gunfight in Washington State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here we go again.........................

As I read the article I asked myself the following questions:
  Did the perpetrators have permits to carry?  Bet they didn't.
  Were weapons allowed in the park?  Bet it is illegal.
  Do such laws prevent this kind of thing???
  Who would have ever expected such a thing to happen?

People often debate the wisdom of law abiding citizens being armed.

Just very scary stuff.  It'll be interesting when they sort out what happened and how many shooters there were. 

It's just too bad...

geodrake said:
Here we go again.........................

As I read the article I asked myself the following questions:
  Were weapons allowed in the park?  Bet it is illegal.
  Do such laws prevent this kind of thing???
  Who would have ever expected such a thing to happen?

People often debate the wisdom of law abiding citizens being armed.

Permit to carry? How about the right to carry? They were more than likely already felons and don't have the right to carry.
J

wow just got back from weekend trip camping 40 miles east of that campground at another state park..sure glad i choose not to go there..... scary stuff just trying to have some happy family time and have to worry about stuff like this.......

Lake Sammamish St Park is day-use only, no camping. It gets mobbed in the summer for boating activities. This park is infamous with Ted Bundy picking up a few of his unfortunate victims...gun use and carrying...phew...whole "nother" story...

George and J

There is absolutely nothing in the article or description of the incident to indicate that the guns were permitted or illegal. Please don't make the assumption that anytime that there is a shooting, the shooters were using illegal weapons. You know what happens when you assume.

Just crappy under informed journalism IMO.  I'm sure the journalist could have dug a little deeper to inform the readers why it happened.  Instead, chose the path of sensationalism without any substance. 

Just crappy under informed journalism IMO.  I'm sure the journalist could have dug a little deeper to inform the readers why it happened.  Instead, chose the path of sensationalism without any substance. 

When I posted that link, the article was 3 or 4 times as long. They have shortened it. There were statements from witnesses. Most related how frightened they were. Some with more discriptions of the event. More to read, but little more of substance.

I'm glad it was in a day use facility, and didn't happen among campers.

I can't comment on gun laws/rules in that park. I don't know. Washington is a liberal state, but pretty conservative on gun possession and carry. It does not permit local option gun regulation. (Last I knew.) That park, however, is a State Park, State owned. As such, the state most likely could regulate firearms in the state parks, and could do so, individually.

Ray D  :(

BernieD said:
George and J

There is absolutely nothing in the article or description of the incident to indicate that the guns were permitted or illegal. Please don't make the assumption that anytime that there is a shooting, the shooters were using illegal weapons. You know what happens when you assume.

No assumptions on my part.  Just asking questions to provoke thought.

"Investigators said Sunday they believe the shootings were gang related."    Odd that one lady said "we wouldn't expect this on the WEST side of the state."  Really?    LEGAL gun use/concealed permits, gun shows .. etc ... are pretty LIBERAL in the East side.    BTW .. I found this site to have a lot of information on carry laws.  Just a FYI .. I am not making any political statement...  http://www.usacarry.com/

tworootless said:

WHY? Why would you shoot a gun in a public park? Being robbed, being violated unjustly, or young and stupid? An innocent person rarely is able to shoot a perpetrator of crime. That was more than likely a young idiot.
J

I actually have a contact who was at the park that day.  He said two groups of people were "celebrating'"  something and were also arguing "a lot" ...  Someone fired a gun for unknown reasons and at least 4 guns were shot at various "targets".    Police have 2 guns found in the bushes and 2 more in cars at the scene.  My friend speculated that these were either rival gang members or even members of the same gang.

One thing for sure .. this is not something that could have been avoided by any law since several were broken in this incident.  My friend said it was amazing that the casualties were as low as they were since bullets were going in several different directions.

There was armed Park Rangers on site with radio to State patrol and Sheriff .. but all in all a scary situation.

geodrake said:
No assumptions on my part.  Just asking questions to provoke thought.

Were  weapons allowed in the park?  Bet it is illegal.

To me it looks like you were assuming the answers.

I'm really surprised a major media outlet prints sentences like this

King County Sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart said killed in the shooting Saturday night at Lake Sammamish State Park were one man from each group: a 33-year-old from Kent, Wash., and a 30-year-old from Seattle.

birds said:
I'm really surprised a major media outlet prints sentences like this

Surprised?  The media will print anything sensational.

Ned said:
Surprised?  The media will print anything sensational.

I don't think he was referring to the sensationalism. I think he was talking about the terrible grammar.

The grammar is no worse than I read every day on the internet, news sites included.  At least I could understand it, more than I can say for some things I try to read.

Back
Top Bottom