Gunpowder, treason and plot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just learnt something I didnt know.  That canadians celebrated a thanksgiving day as well as the states.  What are they thanksgiving for?    Not something we Brits did in the past was it 

Actually, neither holiday involves something the Brits did.  The US holiday goes back to a tradition started by Brits in North America.  Later Lincoln made it a regular national holiday responding to circumstances in the Civil War in 1863.  At the time that the Canadians started their holiday they were Brits in N. America also.

Wales was going to celebrate its own Thanksgiving day, but changed it to a day of mourning to recognize the day the Severn Bridge was opened, allowing English folks to trespass on Welsh soil.

I hate to break this to you Tom, me lad.  The Severn Bridge had little to do with the Welsh immigration problem.  Those big old castles on the north shore started that problem.  Involved some dude named Eddie the First, but not the last it appears.

LOL Carl. Castles on "the north shore" would do little to keep the English out - they'd be in the wrong place.

OTOH Offa's Dike was built to keep the Welsh from migrating into England, although none of us wanted to go there anyway  ;D

LOL John, we have many more Dai Joneses in our village and, for Carl's benefit, none of them got in or out via the north shore. If they did, they'd be Micks  ;D

Tom said:
LOL Carl. Castles on "the north shore" would do little to keep the English out - they'd be in the wrong place.

OTOH Offa's Dike was built to keep the Welsh from migrating into England, although none of us wanted to go there anyway? ;D

Missed my point old bean.  The castles were there to keep the English in Wales, not out.  And a foine grim bunch of granite bungalows they are.  ;D

Methinks you've been spending too much time on the English forum Carl. They have you brainwashed with their folklore.

Lol, how did we involve the micks in the equasion.    Thanks for the answers tom on thanksgiving.

John & Sandy.  Sat riveted to my laptop last night reading about your travels and experiences in your old coachmen.  Its enough to put anybody off full timing for life.  You obviously enjoy every minute.  I reckon you ought to write a book on your experiences.  Lets hope the Newmar is more reliable for you.  Hope to meet up with you one day.

Tony Hunt said:
...how did we involve the micks in the equasion.

LOL Tony, I was merely trying to explain to Carl that the only place to go from the "north shore" of Wales was across the Irish Sea.

BTW on the Thanksgiving subject, a UK friend was once asked by his Arizona-based counterpart if they celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK. He asked what it was all about and, upon hearing the story, replied "We celebrate the day they left Plymouth instead".

Tom said:
Methinks you've been spending too much time on the English forum Carl. They have you brainwashed with their folklore.

The Wizop is a Scot.  Next time you are in Glasgow, don't walk near any dark alleys.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom