Guns, I know a beat to death topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there is another good reason for having a gun...

It's not just the crazy meth heads you need to worry about.

there has been a bunch of news coverage about animal attacks not only in campgrounds but even in urban areas, if there is a mountain lion, coyote pack or a bear that wants to lunch on one of my grandkids, I like the idea of a loaded gun nearby.

some people think dialing 911 is all the protection you need in our civilized world,...... but remember, when seconds count....the police are only minutes away. 

I would not suggest that you take on a bear with a pistol or even a shotgun.
Just MHO.

I think I will leave a bear alone, if he wants the motorhome, hey its his for as long as he wants, I will take the car and
just go the other way.

I wonder if I have bear insurance on the motorhome?

I tried carrying a 12 ga defender while fishing in bear country, it was a complete waste of time and effort. The gun was extra weight I didn't need, kept getting snagged in the brush. I figured by the time I dropped my gear, got the gun off my shoulder, released the safety and chambered a round I would likely be a bear's breakfast. An American hunter lost his life in B.C. in an argument with a grizzly this year, the gun went off taking him out. Now all the bears are armed. :D
As far as personal protection is concerned, I don't have a dog in this race as packing for such purpose is illegal here but that suits me just fine. I don't want to worry about whether the guy in in the next site is a delusional wing nut with an AK-47 and a short fuse. How many can claim to know of an legitimate case where having a firearm in an rv or any other vehicle actually prevented what could have been further loss of life? I don't want to hear what your third cousin heard from a guy at work who knew a guy. IMHO, the whole thing boils down to paranoia rather than actual fact.

bobsharon said:
I would not suggest that you take on a bear with a pistol or even a shotgun.
Just MHO.
hmm.....you'd think if I blew his face off with some double ought buck it would give me a little advantage...

ok,.. maybe I'll lose that fight, but somewhere there's a blind, toothless, and noseless bear with a ringing in his ears that will never forget me.

TonyDtorch said:
hmm.....you'd think if I blew his face off with some double ought buck it would give me a little advantage...

ok,.. maybe I'll lose that fight, but somewhere there's a blind, toothless, and noseless bear with a ringing in his ears that will never forget me.

LOL! 

My neighbor says he emptied his 308 on a wild boar, he jumped into his jeep, and the boar still rammed the jeep.  At least that's how he claims that dent got there.  Says it still would have killed him if he didn't make it in the jeep.  Probably would have been a good time to have an AK-47, those boars are tough. 

Hopefully that will stop a bear, I carry a 308 out there, and have been told by my neighbor at the property that he's seen a bear over there.  Not sure which ones tougher, a black bear or a wild boar.  But I hope never to encounter that blind, toothless, and noseless bear with a ringing in his ears, 'cause that's one tough bear! ;)

once on a friends farm I got in a good fist fight with a pissed off goat , ...ended in a draw.

but honestly I was happy just to walk away.  That dude hit me hard.

Ernie n Tara said:
The Boar! But the Bear may be bigger!

Still wondering how five shots from a 308 would not stop a boar and he could still put that big of a dent in a jeep.  Maybe he's not as good of a shot as he claims.  Although, he's been out hunting this entire season, and I am sitting here watching football. 

It's a good deal though, if he gets a deer, I split the processing fee with him for a split of the venison. His wife won't eat it, so I'm the one that benefits.  He got one last year and it was delicious.  And I don't have to spray myself in deer urine, and sit up in a tree for hours on end, waiting for a chance at a good shot.  Target shooting is so much more fun.  The shot up targets just aren't quite as tasty.  ;) 

In the fancy development north of Houston, the Woodlands, they had problems with wild hogs.  Apparently they are very prolific breeders and producers.  They periodically had to get people in to kill them to keep them under control.

PatrioticStabilist said:
In the fancy development north of Houston, the Woodlands, they had problems with wild hogs.  Apparently they are very prolific breeders and producers.  They periodically had to get people in to kill them to keep them under control.
With the price of bacon these days, I wonder how the hog population ever gets out of control. :)

Yeah and there's that!! LOL!

I had a neighbor that would eat them.  They would salt them and I believe pack in ice, they would rinse and do this for a few days apparently it took the wild taste out of it.  He had been a butcher so then he would prepare them for freezing.

PatrioticStabilist said:

I had 6 in my back yard last year.
One sow estimated to be 200 lbs. also several small piglets.

I called the county animal control who responded and looked at my pictures
as they had moved on. I wanted it verified that they were wild and not
a farmer's stock that got out.

He advised that Ga. considers them a nuisance and has a 12 month
open season on them. He had been receiving complaints on these
for the past several years.

I thanked him and told him if they returned I would let him know when
the pig pickin' was.

Tim Horton's Coffee good ?  Don't think so..convenient, yes but not good... yikes...

I deliberately waited until now to post a comments on this subject to get a feel of comments. I notice that almost all those commenting here, pro or con,  have never had to use a weapon for self defense, nor asked someone who has used a weapon about their opinion. U.S. Justice Department reports indicate that close to one hundred thousand Americans do use a weapon, usually a gun, every year in the U.S., to prevent or lessen a violent crime against themselves, their family and others.

I am a retired LEO (41 years service) and have interviewed, and have visited with a number of individuals who used a weapon to defend themselves and others. I am not counting police officers with my comment here. My own experience matches those victims and potential victims that I have interviewed and visited. Three times in my own life, not counting any my time on duty, I did use my handgun to prevent a crime. Fortunately, each time, just drawing the handgun in my hand at the early situational time, was sufficient to prevent what was almost certainly a violent felony developing. None of these three could have been prevented by even a fast response by police. All three happened in a matter of seconds. I was prepared and willing to fire but fortunately, early action defused the situations.

I have never interviewed or visited with any one who used their gun to defend them self or others, who told me that they were sorry that they had the gun when needed. I did work on the investigation of many dozens of homicide and violent assault victim's over 40 years on duty, many of which, I am sure, had they lived, would have been sorry that they were armed when they were confronted by a violent criminal. They were perhaps very sorry in their last living moments. Some who lived have told me that after their experience they immediately obtained a gun and learned to use it. And, at some requests, I assisted them and trained them, as was the policy of ourthree police departments.

The choice is for everyone to decide for them self. As a career LEO, I am somewhat saddened by many of the comments that I read by obviously some who have not thought through the potential situations. It is everyone's responsibility for everyone to decide how, if at all, to defend them self against potentially harmful situations, including common, life threatening criminal actions. The police can never do it for you.

Rancher Will said:
I deliberately waited until now to post a comments on this subject to get a feel of comments. I notice that almost all those commenting here, pro or con,  have never had to use a weapon for self defense, nor asked someone who has used a weapon about their opinion. U.S. Justice Department reports indicate that close to one hundred thousand Americans do use a weapon, usually a gun, every year in the U.S., to prevent or lessen a violent crime against themselves, their family and others.

I am a retired LEO (41 years service) and have interviewed, and have visited with a number of individuals who used a weapon to defend themselves and others. I am not counting police officers with my comment here. My own experience matches those victims and potential victims that I have interviewed and visited. Three times in my own life, not counting any my time on duty, I did use my handgun to prevent a crime. Fortunately, each time, just drawing the handgun in my hand at the early situational time, was sufficient to prevent what was almost certainly a violent felony developing. None of these three could have been prevented by even a fast response by police. All three happened in a matter of seconds. I was prepared and willing to fire but fortunately, early action defused the situations.

I have never interviewed or visited with any one who used their gun to defend them self or others, who told me that they were sorry that they had the gun when needed. I did work on the investigation of many dozens of homicide and violent assault victim's over 40 years on duty, many of which, I am sure, had they lived, would have been sorry that they were armed when they were confronted by a violent criminal. They were perhaps very sorry in their last living moments. Some who lived have told me that after their experience they immediately obtained a gun and learned to use it. And, at some requests, I assisted them and trained them, as was the policy of ourthree police departments.

The choice is for everyone to decide for them self. As a career LEO, I am somewhat saddened by many of the comments that I read by obviously some who have not thought through the potential situations. It is everyone's responsibility for everyone to decide how, if at all, to defend them self against potentially harmful situations, including common, life threatening criminal actions. The police can never do it for you.

First I'd like to thank you for your service.  As a truck driver I have had many encounters with LEO's, all of which I was armed.  They were informed at the time of the stop, I fully complied with all instructions, and all stops went well.  As long as the one stopped, obeys without delay, all instructions, everyone goes home safely. 

I do believe in continuing training in order to protect myself.  It is inconceivable to me that one could expect to purchase a gun, and with no more than CHL training, think the odds are in their favor to protect themselves.  Not only do I shoot several times a month, but go back for formal training at least once a year.  These sessions are 16 hours each, and I usually do two back to back, as I know in life, one is only capable of 50% of their best day at the range.  Most states are "dumbing down" the required training for a CHL/CCW, yet increasing the training required to get a drivers license.  I've talked to students at the CHL class that said that is the first time they picked up their gun since the last time they qualified, I do not think that is something to brag about.  Are you aware of any studies comparing a well trained citizen using a gun vs the one who just buys a gun and figures a couple of boxes of ammunition is sufficient? 

I know of very few students that have had to use their weapon, which is probably due to the emphasis on identifying, then extracting oneself from a potentially dangerous situation.  Thanks

Texas did require classroom instruction, we also went to the shooting range and had to qualify with the gun you intended
to use.  I can't remember the number of hours now but it was over 2 days. They did a background check and fingerprinting too  At least you had instruction on safe gun practices, it was worthwhile.

I was shocked, here in Indiana I submitted my fingerprints, they did a background check and I got a LIFETIME, did you get that, a lifetime permit without training or anything.  To me that is crazy.

As far as to being concerned about one's safety while traveling, I think sometimes we over-share things about ourselves that maybe we shouldn't. Like two women, one with a disability, posting what they are riding in, where they are now, where they are going, when they're going, if they have guns in their coach, where the guns are, etc. I'm not trying to slam the OP, unfortunately, she's just the one I'm using as an example. I think most of us are guilty of over-sharing, as it's easy to get too comfortable  online.

The above two comments are correct. As I wrote, it the responsibility of each to decide. After all, it is individual protections we are talking about. I do not believe that it is the responsibility of the government to dictate how an individual should decide to exercise our rights. Anyone who decides to be in charge of their own protection should think through the mental as well as the mechanical and physical process. After all, no one else will protect you if you become one of the statistics.

Just as with any other process in life, anyone who decides to obtain a weapon for protections should have a mindset of how and when to use it as a tool, and it is the responsibility of that person to learn, with necessary  instruction, how to safely and legally use it. We would question the thinking of anyone using a chainsaw, fire extinguisher, welder, driving a tractor or truck, skiing, game hunting with a rifle or bow and arrows, working in any hazardous job, etc, without first getting instruction.

Our Constitution, the Second Amendment, protects our right and it is up to us to us to exercise our rights  responsibly.

kdbgoat said:
As far as to being concerned about one's safety while traveling, I think sometimes we over-share things about ourselves that maybe we shouldn't. Like two women, one with a disability, posting what they are riding in, where they are now, where they are going, when they're going, if they have guns in their coach, where the guns are, etc. I'm not trying to slam the OP, unfortunately, she's just the one I'm using as an example. I think most of us are guilty of over-sharing, as it's easy to get too comfortable  online.

I agree.  That is why it is  recommended you never post when and where you are on vacation.  A thief will then know it's ok to break into your home.  Post those things after you get back.  No body needs to know what you have or don't have with you. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom