Guy takes off with awning extended

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have only done that one, but fortunately, I only went about 10 feet before noticing that the awing was out.

I have a checklist that I go through when getting to the campground and before leaving the campground. Bringing the awning has not been on it. I think mostly because we bring it in every night or before we leave for a while. Maybe it should be.

No matter how good a checklist you have, always do the whole walk around, and if you get interrupted, just start all over. (We don't have an awning, but we have had other things.)
Matt

No matter how good a checklist you have, always do the whole walk around, and if you get interrupted, just start all over. (We don't have an awning, but we have had other things.)
Matt
The walk around has also prevented us from leaving behind a number of outdoor items!

I saw a guy do that in Death Valley a few years ago. He made it all the way to a Stop sign before hitting it. The sound was like hitting a empty oil drum with a hammer. Everyone heard it.

I got distracted once while doing the checklist and tried to depart with the landing gear down. That 454 is underpowered. I couldn't get Marvin to move for nothin'
When I tried that in mine, it buzzed at me and automatically retracted the gear. I'd been raised pretty good on one side, so when the whole thing dropped my wife freaked out.

I walk around, pull ahead the length of the RV and then walk around again looking for anything that was underneath.

About a decade ago, I watched a guy in a Class C motorhome leave with the slide still extended. He snagged the power pedestal on the way out. Knocked the pedestal over, with a nice little sparky 4th of July fireworks show, and tweaked the snot out of his slide. Several of us were yelling at him and flailing our arms....all to no avail.

When he backed up, the slide was no longer cooperating with going back in. We managed to wrangle it most of the way back in, and I ratchet strapped it closed for him...well, as closed as it would go. Funny thing was, if the slide had been 2" higher, it would have cleared the pedestal.

Sounds like RV manufacturers need to start installing ignition interlocks. Won't start until things are ready to travel.
We had these on our ambulance shore lines. Before that they were ripping the plug out of the truck or the box on the wall.

When I tried that in mine, it buzzed at me and automatically retracted the gear. I'd been raised pretty good on one side, so when the whole thing dropped my wife freaked out.

If mine had that feature it has long been disabled by some clown. It does require the parking brake to be set to operate the pump. I did have amber caution lights on the panel but it's down below left knee level so I didn't notice it.

If mine had that feature it has long been disabled by some clown. It does require the parking brake to be set to operate the pump. I did have amber caution lights on the panel but it's down below left knee level so I didn't notice it.
It may be that mine dumps the levelers when you release the parking brake, not when you put it in gear. It's been a few years since that happened and my memory is a bit foggy. Either way, we weren't expecting it and I got a little shriek out of the co-pilot.

Back
Top Bottom