H Rated Tire Pressures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand, and under normal circumstances I would agree. But, not only the door sticker indicates 80 rear/75 front, but my manual states,
Tire Inflation Pressures
The proper cold tire inflation pressure is listed on the
driver's side B-pillar or rear edge of the driver's side
door. This pressure is correct for all driving conditions,
up to and including maximum GAWR.

So, it is what it is and I can't change it much without the alarms going off. And I have been told that I cannot reprogram the system to change it.
It would be interesting to know why though. I know the 120 psi max on my Michelins is correct for all driving conditions up to and including the RV’s Max gawr. But the minimum pressure for the axle weights according to the Michelin Tables is correct as well.

If you travel long distances thru different elevations and temperatures, your pressures will vary. When I picked up my fiver this year near SLC, all alarms were going off with temps below 100. Once the heated from travel up I was in 105 range. Been further south since (last month) in St George / Las Vegas areas and no alarm. Pressures 102-105ish and then 105-110+ Once the heated from travel.
I noticed this alot of variance last year as I traversed to Southern AZ to IN to PA to VA to FL (Key West) and return west to SLC area....
"Heated" tire pressure is immaterial, tire design engineers have that accounted for in their design. Roger Marble, a retired tire design engineer covers that.
Reference: rvtiresafety.net

It would be interesting to know why though. I know the 120 psi max on my Michelins is correct for all driving conditions up to and including the RV’s Max gawr. But the minimum pressure for the axle weights according to the Michelin Tables is correct as well.
No idea. But, since the truck seems to ride pretty smooth with them maxed out I figure unless I start to see unusual tire wear I'll just leave them as is.

Remember the Ford Explorer roll-overs? The final anysis showed Ford put incorrect pressures on the door sticker/Federal Tire Placard. They reduced pressures to increase occupant ride to below what Firestone determined the minimum pressure for the vehicle.
reference: Ford Explorer-Firestone Tire and, https://www.researchgate.net/public...ity_An_Examination_of_the_Ford-Firestone_Case
This is an excerpt from the first document.
Quote: "Internal Ford memos from the late 1980’s when the Explorer was designed showed that it had a rollover propensity as bad as Bronco II which it was replacing. Although Ford engineers recommended major changes including widening the track, these were rejected. One decision that was made was to have a recommended tire inflation pressure of only 26 psi when Ford modeling showed that the Explorer could roll over if tires were inflated to 35 psi. With tires losing about 2 pounds of pressure per month it was foreseeable that the Explorer could easily reach dangerously low levels at which tire damage and failure would occur."

Tires gain or lose about 1 psi for every 10 degrees temp change. That means you’d gain or lose 10 psi for every 100 degree change from the cold psi setting. No tire is going to suffer catastrophic failure with a 10 degree fluctuation much less the fluctuation they’d undergo under ordinary conditions.
It's a bit more complicated than that. The change is 1.8% of the current inflation for every 10 degrees F. So a tire at 100 psi gains or loses about 2 psi, whereas a 50 psi tire gains/loses only about 1 psi.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The change is 1.8% of the current inflation for every 10 degrees F. So a tire at 100 psi gains or loses about 2 psi, whereas a 50 psi tire gains/loses about 1 psi.
If an elephant walked across here someone would counter that it could be a mouse with a glandular condition. Thanks Bill Nye, but it’s 1 to 2 and contingent on a number of factors of which beginning psi is only one, and otherwise the pt. is no tire is under ordinary conditions going to fail due only to ambient temperature variations

Last edited:
The problem with running minimum air pressure is, the tire is operating at 100% capacity all the time.
Which begs the question, If one is a believer in running tires by load/inflation charts: How often do you adjust your car tire air pressure when you are driving alone, then next day hauling 5 passengers?

The problem with running minimum air pressure is, the tire is operating at 100% capacity all the time.
Which begs the question, If one is a believer in running tires by load/inflation charts: How often do you adjust your car tire air pressure when you are driving alone, then next day hauling 5 passengers?
Agree heartily! My method of dealing with that is to add a modest fudge factor to the scaled weight, thus allowing some amount for changes in load. Not a large amount, though. It's somewhat of a SWAG, based on where my actual weight coincides with the table ranges. The goal is to make sure the psi is enough, not how little you can get away with.

I also add a few psi to provide some cushion for temperature changes, especially if it happens to be a hot day when I set the tire pressure. That's simply a matter of convenience, so I don't have to add air on chilly weather. My TPMS will warn me if climate conditions have made my psi low, but I'd still rather avoid having to air up tires when I'm getting ready to depart.

Passenger car tires are routinely set to handle maximum load and that's practical for the usage. The difference between min & max load isn't all that much and the soft suspension can absorb the stiffness of the higher inflation. Light trucks (pick-up and fullsize vans), on the other hand, have a larger loading spread and the suspension is stiffer to handle the higher max. That makes it more appropriate to adjust psi for load. Most motorhomes are medium or even heavy duty trucks, so ride benefits even more from tuning tires to the actual weight.

If those schmucks over at Michelin were smart they’d heed the opinions on RV Forums and fix their load inflation tables.

Agree heartily! My method of dealing with that is to add a modest fudge factor to the scaled weight, thus allowing some amount for changes in load. Not a large amount, though. It's somewhat of a SWAG, based on where my actual weight coincides with the table ranges. The goal is to make sure the psi is enough, not how little you can get away with.

I also add a few psi to provide some cushion for temperature changes, especially if it happens to be a hot day when I set the tire pressure. That's simply a matter of convenience, so I don't have to add air on chilly weather. My TPMS will warn me if climate conditions have made my psi low, but I'd still rather avoid having to air up tires when I'm getting ready to depart.

Passenger car tires are routinely set to handle maximum load and that's practical for the usage. The difference between min & max load isn't all that much and the soft suspension can absorb the stiffness of the higher inflation. Light trucks (pick-up and fullsize vans), on the other hand, have a larger loading spread and the suspension is stiffer to handle the higher max. That makes it more appropriate to adjust psi for load. Most motorhomes are medium or even heavy duty trucks, so ride benefits even more from tuning tires to the actual weight.
Tireman9/Roger Marble of rvtiresafety.net recommends 10%-15% above the load/inflation tables for the same reasoning as yours.

So hypothetically, if a tire’s max psi is 120 and the scale weight indicates it should be run at 120 psi you should set it to 139 psi?

Has any tire, in the history of tires, ever failed because its psi was set in strict accordance to the mfg. tire inflation table?

The fact is any psi between that prescribed in the load/inflation table and the maximum sidewall pressure is correct for that tire. My tire shop set the psi on my new tires to 120psi because that’s the maximum cold pressure Michelin recommends and it’s perfectly fine to run them from now on at 120psi.

So hypothetically, if a tire’s max psi is 120 and the scale weight indicates it should be run at 120 psi you should set it to 139 psi?

Has any tire, in the history of tires, ever failed because its psi was set in strict accordance to the mfg. tire inflation table?

The fact is any psi between that prescribed in the load/inflation table and the maximum sidewall pressure is correct for that tire. My tire shop set the psi on my new tires to 120psi because that’s the maximum cold pressure Michelin recommends and it’s perfectly fine to run them from now on at 120psi.
Running a tire inflated significantly above the load chart setting can cause excessive wear to the center of the tread. Running high also makes for a stiffer ride. The 10-15% mentioned is a good suggestion.

The 10-15% mentioned is a good suggestion.
Running the tires at what the mfg. load/inflation table indicates is also a good suggestion. No tire is going to be materially affected regardless.
The best suggestion is forget the 10-15% and adjust the psi to wherever between the psi prescribed in the load/inflation tables and the max indicted on the sidewall which results in the most efficient performance. That is for operator to determine.

Last edited:
Running the tires at what the mfg. load/inflation table indicates is also a good suggestion. No tire is going to be materially affected regardless.
The best suggestion is forget the 10-15% and adjust the psi to wherever between the psi prescribed in the load/inflation tables and the max indicted on the sidewall which results in the most efficient performance. That is for operator to determine.
If the operator chooses to run the tires at max psi when the load table calls for a significantly lower psi, he runs the risk of premature wear in the center of the tread.

The-passenger-car-tires-with-the-various-uneven-wear-patterns-24.png

You have suggested that running anywhere between the load chart psi and max is acceptable, and as you can see from my post, that's not the case when max psi results in over inflating the tire for the load.
A tire isn’t over inflated unless it’s inflated to a psi exceeding the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall. Otherwise, a tire inflated to 1 psi over the psi listed in the mfg. load inflation tables for the axle weights would be over inflated. Meantime adjectives ( opinions) like acceptable, optimal and desirable aren’t in the mfg. load inflation tables, not Michelin’s at any rate.

A tire isn’t over inflated unless it’s inflated to a psi exceeding the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall. Otherwise, a tire inflated to 1 psi over the psi listed in the mfg. load inflation tables for the axle weights would be over inflated. Meantime adjectives ( opinions) like acceptable, optimal and desirable aren’t in the mfg. load inflation tables, not Michelin’s at any rate.
It's really pretty simple. If the load/psi chart calls for 75 psi and you inflate the tire to the sidewall max of 110 psi, the center of the tread will bulge out more then the edges, causing more wear. Every tire company will tell you the same thing, just as under inflating will cause more wear on the edges of the tread. Believe it or not, that's your call, I'm done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom