Half ton truck towing with LT tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wood,

You are correct on MANY well researched points.  I was unaware of the HCPP option before your, post, and for some, it could be a game changer.  The truck you spec'd is NOT the common, off the lot F150.  As I said, the 7600# GVWR is about 1000# more than most F150, yielding a payload of 2400#, at least 800# above most off the lot F150.  Further, trying to find this truck on ANY lot would be looking for a needle in a haystack.  You have done your homework well.  I commend you for that!

Your statement about stopping mid trip if you felt uncomfortable or unsafe is truly heart warming.  I would rather you not have to make that very expensive stop.  I see enough flaws in your plan I felt compelled to raise the red flags.

The payload and max tow you quoted are for a base, naked XL with CC, 3.5L Eco Boost 4X4, 6.5 ft bed, 3.73 rear end and HCPP. Nothing more.  The actual Payload for your truck will be 200 - 300#  less with the XLT package, tow package and any other option you add.  Note that the spec sheet did not include trim package, so that number seems to apply to that configuration whether dressed as an XL, Lariat or Platinum.  NOT TRUE.  Same for the Max Tow.  Do the numbers still work if you reduce these numbers by 300#?

My real issue remains pulling a 37 ft TT with nearly 300 sq. ft. of side surface area  Ever try to carry a full sheet of plywood in a cross wind?  A 100 lb man may get carried across the field!  A 350 lb man may have some trouble maintaining complete control, but he can get the job done.  The general advise here, as you may know is 30 ft OR LESS TT for an off the lot F150.  You could likely handle 30 ft without issue.  That 37 ft is 23% longer with 23% more surface area.  37 ft is too long.

Again, I commend you for your thorough research.  If you proceed down this path, leave room in the budget for a different truck within your first two trips.

Most important, enjoy the great outdoors with the family!

P.S.  Had an Accord EX-L.  Loved it!

The point that the Preacher makes about the plywood in the wind is the point the The Wiz and I both expressed concern about. All three of us are well aware that today's 1/2 tons are not "your Father's Oldsmobile". 1/2 ton pick-ups have come a long ways in the last 5-6 years, and we realize that. Yes, we all probably got an education on the HCPP option, but the fact of the matter remains, that 37' of trailer is a big sail. That's why The Wiz and I both mentioned the Hensley and ProPride hitch.

We have been looking at TT's that a bit larger (roomier) than our Winnie Drop. After doing the calculations I came up with a GVWR for a TT of about 5400lbs. I would feel comfortable with a TT around 4400lbs dry weight. I know most on here say dry weight means nothing but it does to me. What I am not comfortable with is when the length gets to be more than 25 feet. My wife asked my why, if the weight is fine, would the length matter. I explained buffering. If we get a cross wind strong enough we may find ourselves airborne or a big truck could push us off the road. There are lightweight TT's out there we could tow. Many of them are longer than I would be comfortable towing.

Wood,
I too was in a similar situation like you. 2010 Ford F-150, max tow package, 11,200 towing capability, 5.3L gasser with a TV at 36', 7,800 dry weight, 9760 GVWR and towed it fairly easily. But as you had asked after 2 years I needed new tires and went with Michelin LT's, also went onto Rock auto and ordered severe duty front and rear rotors and brakes. Also changed over the strut/spring assemblies to Heavy duty Moog brand and also Heavy duty rear shocks. All I can say is this made a world of difference while towing. A lot more bounce while empty but to be expected. 
Next chapter, 2 weeks ago, I went in for an oil change and while waiting there was a 2017 F-250 Lariat diesel, exact same color as my 150 on the showroom floor with my name on it. 4 hours later and 1 week travelling with the new TV and what a difference.
That 150 will be plenty in my opinion as I have never experienced the TT blowing around as others have warned any worse than a big semi passing me on my Harley, truck, or car.
Good Luck from SE PA

martin2340 said:
Wood,
I too was in a similar situation like you. 2010 Ford F-150, max tow package, 11,200 towing capability, 5.3L gasser with a TV at 36', 7,800 dry weight, 9760 GVWR and towed it fairly easily. But as you had asked after 2 years I needed new tires and went with Michelin LT's, also went onto Rock auto and ordered severe duty front and rear rotors and brakes. Also changed over the strut/spring assemblies to Heavy duty Moog brand and also Heavy duty rear shocks. All I can say is this made a world of difference while towing. A lot more bounce while empty but to be expected. 
Next chapter, 2 weeks ago, I went in for an oil change and while waiting there was a 2017 F-250 Lariat diesel, exact same color as my 150 on the showroom floor with my name on it. 4 hours later and 1 week travelling with the new TV and what a difference.
That 150 will be plenty in my opinion as I have never experienced the TT blowing around as others have warned any worse than a big semi passing me on my Harley, truck, or car.
Good Luck from SE PA

Thanks Martin.

I was hoping for more viewers who actually have towing experiences with upgraded TVs, and how those upgrades help their towing, as oppose to mere speculations.  Actually knowledge and hands-on experiences counts a thousand times more than those giving you their hunch on what might happen.

Oldgator73 said:
We have been looking at TT's that a bit larger (roomier) than our Winnie Drop. After doing the calculations I came up with a GVWR for a TT of about 5400lbs. I would feel comfortable with a TT around 4400lbs dry weight. I know most on here say dry weight means nothing but it does to me. What I am not comfortable with is when the length gets to be more than 25 feet. My wife asked my why, if the weight is fine, would the length matter. I explained buffering. If we get a cross wind strong enough we may find ourselves airborne or a big truck could push us off the road. There are lightweight TT's out there we could tow. Many of them are longer than I would be comfortable towing.

Yes Oldgator73, it is best to stick with what makes you comfortable towing, and especially keeping within your TV's specification.

kdbgoat said:
The point that the Preacher makes about the plywood in the wind is the point the The Wiz and I both expressed concern about. All three of us are well aware that today's 1/2 tons are not "your Father's Oldsmobile". 1/2 ton pick-ups have come a long ways in the last 5-6 years, and we realize that. Yes, we all probably got an education on the HCPP option, but the fact of the matter remains, that 37' of trailer is a big sail. That's why The Wiz and I both mentioned the Hensley and ProPride hitch.

kdbgoat, I already have the Blue Ox, but if it doesn't provide the towing stability I'm looking for, I will upgrade to the HA or PP. 

Thanks for the input.

Wood,
A bell went off today.  This thread, post # 15 speaks to your specific question from a person who has been there.  He, too has done careful research.  I hope he can help you.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,106816.0.html

I'm towing a 35', 9,000# TT with my 2014 F-150 4X4 supercrew with max tow (11,300# rating).  My tongue weight is 1150 and I'm using an equalizer hitch.

With the stock Goodyear SRA tires that came with the truck I had significant bounce on "dippy" roads at max pressure (44 PSI). (I've never understood why Ford puts those on a "max tow" rated vehicle).  I changed to BF Gooodrich KO2 load range E tires.  Inflated to 70 PSI they made a big difference.  Bounce significantly reduced and much more stable feeling.

For what it's worth I've had no trouble towing in cross winds of up 30 MPH,  being passed by big trucks, and no hint of sway and very little "push".

Back
Top Bottom