Ham Radio for Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMHO whether it be cell phone, CB, or Ham two way conversations while driving are distracting.  Now just listening I don't believe would be distracting.  Probably a good thing to listen to traffic reports.

Talking to a passenger can also be distracting.  Even more so if one tends to look at the passenger while talking.  So shut up and just drive :D

Smoky said:
Tom, what do you think about hams and CBers who do not engage in 2 way communication but simply monitor such as listening for road traffic?

Smoky, I'm trying hard to avoid giving an opinion on driving habits. All I did was ask a question, but find some of the rationalization responses a little amusing.

FWIW CB is a waste of time. We have a CB that was part of a dealer-ordered option on our coach. I asked them to remove it and give me a credit before we left the lot, but they refused. Whenever I've turned it on (while I'm a passenger), all I get is either nonsense talk or interfence. Either way it's garbage and very distracting, even for a passenger, so I turn it off.

Tom:

Did you ever try channel 13 on the CB?  I have not yet thought to try it, but I am told it is pretty much only used by traveling RVers.  Has anyone ever found any RVers on 13?

Smoky said:
Tom:

Did you ever try channel 13 on the CB?  I have not yet thought to try it, but I am told it is pretty much only used by traveling RVers.  Has anyone ever found any RVers on 13?

13 is supposed to be the "RV" channel, however I find 19 to be of more use on the road... When I make my big trip, if everythign goes as planned... I'll have two CB's in the MH as well as 2 2mtr ham rigs

CB's  Primary on 19 (Trucker chat) secondary on 13 (Not nearly as good an antenna for short range chat with other MHs) 

Ham,  Primary scanning two bands... Secondary on 146.52 simplex (again much poorer antenna)

Parked... I've a bow and arrow antenna raiser system which I'm working on just now (Got the bow and arrows today, along with a fishing reel of the bow&arrow type)

Smokey... In my younger days I used to amuse myself by listening to just one insturment in a band, Now mind you others were playing, but I'd pick out one to concentrate on.  (As it happens usually a flute)

I'm used to listening to half a dozen or so radios all at one time and only hearing one of them.  Did it for many many years and in fact it is, in part, what still pays my way (The job I'm retired from)

I find the WE-800 on 146.52 for example is not very noisy... Odds are squelch will never open since there is not a lot of traffic on that frequency... I'm used to ignoring the 2mtr/440Mhz rig unless I'm involved in a conversation, that leaves the CB's, likewise, easily ignored if I'm not personally involved in the chat

And personal involvement is limited to one box at a time

Smoky,

I'd give Ham Radio Outlet a call on the price of an Icom 706 Mk2G at 1-800-854-6046 for the current price.  Icom is about to come out with a new version called the IC-7000 so the old style could be pretty reasonalble (with any luck at all).

--Steve Crouch, NO7V

Interesting topic!  When CBs first came out, I used one extensively when traveling.  But it seemed to me that the conversations became so trashy that I discontinued use.  I haven't used one for over 20 years now.  Is the channel talk still as bad on 19? ???

Jake,

The unregulated use of CB radio has led to a total waste of radio frequency spectrum.? You're right that in the very early days of CB, people used it in an enjoyable and constructive manner, but it quickly deteriorated.

Many people who were interested in radio communication became involved in amateur HAM radio where licensing has been eased.? If you are still interested in the hobby, get in touch with your local Ham radio club wheer you can get information about getting a license.

Also the ARRL could be a helpful source for information.

I have not upgraded to General yet (That may take till May) but I got my low-band antenna stringer

A compound bow, target arrows, fishing "reel" for the bow

Launched a test arrow about 15-20 feet up a pine in my back yard but need to work on it a bit as I'm not completly happy with the results.  Still, worked which is a good thing  And with practice I'll get better at it

I'll likely upgrate at Dayton,,, If not sooner.. .I'm currently Tech Plus (Got my Tech back in the 60's so I'm elegable for paper only upgrade to General

Smoky said:
Thanks Steve, I will look into ham radio outlet.

Smoky,

You can make a trip to Fry's Electronics and HRO on the same trip.  They are not all that far away.  That should help even the score for Sharon's Quartzsite shopping.  ;D

Phil

Phil said:
You can make a trip to Fry's Electronics and HRO on the same trip.  They are not all that far away.  That should help even the score for Sharon's Quartzsite shopping.  ;D

Fry's carries Ham gear?  I'll have to ask Marte about that (I still have sysop hats back on community.compuserve.com, Marte is one of my wiz's and used to work for frys)

John

I don't recall seeing much in the way of serious ham gear at Fry's although they might carry some bits and pieces. You can check them out online at http://www.outpost.com (ignore the name, that's Fry's).

BTW I'm not a ham, so I might not know what I'm looking for and I might have even walked right by the stuff on a mission to a different area of the store.

John In Detroit said:
Fry's carries Ham gear?  I'll have to ask Marte about that (I still have sysop hats back on community.compuserve.com, Marte is one of my wiz's and used to work for frys)

NO, Fry's does not carry ham gear.  They do have lots of electronic stuff though.  Fry's and HRO are close enough that you can see both in one trip.

Phil

Ok,,, HRO is someplace I've already Tele-shopped... (Where I got my Kenwood)

Ok. Ok, got the Kenwood from a man in a brown suit that delivers boxes all the time... But he got it from someone dressed just like him, who ... etc ... HRO

Phil:

Tell me more about HRO.  Are you saying it is located in the Phoenix area?  If so, can you give me the address or approximate location?

Back
Top Bottom