Handicapped Accessible - '88 Suncrest Lakeview '31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hymnsinger

Ok, I need to have a body shop widen the entry door (cutting through the steel posts), and create a way to attach a portable, foldable, aluminium ramp to allow easy wheelchair access. With a rise and run of 1' length to 1" height, this is going to be a real challenge! Any ideas!? (A lift is not cost effective for us at this time.)

We will need to purchase a wider door, or add a second hinged door, like double side doors on an old conversion van . . . the right door is larger than the left door. Where might I find another door or how to create that extra hinged panel?

Also, there is a post supporting the bathroom wall in the rear center of the coach. Is this a load bearing post?

Thanks!!

Tracey

Hi Tracey and Welcome to the forum!!!

God love ya! I have read your other posts and my hat is off to you. You are taking on a project that would make most strong men cringe.

Now down to business. Look in the Resources (Button above) You will find info on RV salvage yards. You may check with them on your door isssue. I am thinking that you might find it much easier to find a used lift or one in a salvage yard and get it put in than build a huge ramp. I'm thinking that the ramp will be 20-25' long from your description.

As far as the post for the bathroom, There should not be anything load bearing in the RV except the exterior walls.

Edit: Look at old school busses for doors and a lift...

Have fun and good luck!!!!

I'd check with one of the companies that makes the electric seats that are designed to travel up and down stairs. They are small enough to pass thru a MH door and are dc powered (backup). Might be a lot simpler to adapt.
I expect that you'll find your wide door/ramp approach is even more expensive than a lift.

Trying to help; good luck.

Ernie

Yes, I have cringed at your proposed projects and I'm not that strong.  But as far as ramps or lifts, you should check out the retired school bus idea.  I used to drive them and when our old buses got sold off, they went for about $2000 in working condition but too old to get federal funding anymore.  If you find a handicapped bus in a junk yard you should be able to remove the lift and the most that would be wrong is that the motor might need some work.  They do work well and would do everything you need and might be pretty cheap if the whole bus is only worth $2000.. 

I also read your previous posts and, as much as I dislike discouraging renovation projects, I strongly suggest that you pass on the Possum RV. When there's water damage what you see is just a very small percentage of the damage. You'll be tearing out and rebuilding for a long time and it can be very expensive. Keep looking. There are wonderful bargains if you're patient. This is a good time of the year too because few people are looking to buy now.

Try this place for a wider door - http://www.rvsurplus.net/index.php Their website is terrible so give them a call. We've been to the store and they have hundreds of doors and other things that never make it onto the website.

Also check out the lift on this site - http://www.handicappedtravelclub.com/htc-rv-ads.php  I use a Super Arm and it works wonderfully. I'm not familiar with the cost or procedure for installing other types of lifts but Super Arm installation is relatively simple. There needs to be a strong framework to support the lift which is just bolted in place without requiring anything else except a battery for power.

The motorhomes I've seen with wheelchair access had a lift separate from the main door.

Have you considered buying an old handicap accessible school bus and converting it? I have a feeling it would be easier than your current project.

Wendy

I don't know what your budget is but assume it is not huge, but search online. There are quite a few Handicap accessible RV's listed for sale and I saw some from as low as 1k all the way up to $$$$. The point here is you can find one with all the hard stuff done instead of trying to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks Steve, but I have great news! Complete RV of Marion is going to do the re-fit. They have a used door/ramp ready to install for $1500. I also found the history of the vehicle. It came to NC via Alaska and Oregon. It only sat for 3 years in NC! Before that it was well used and passed all emissions and inspections, with no reported wrecks, water, or rollbacks. The title is free and clear! And my tires are only 3 years old!! What a relief that it hasn't been sitting for 20 years!! LOL

Might need a radiator and definitely needs service. We're going to change out the battery and start it up tomorrow. I am VERY familiar with the 454 (used to race one), so I should be able to discern anything major. Will need to clean the carb and do a tune up, which I can do myself. Can't wait to get the cover off and take a look!

More later!
Tracey

I would love for you to share some  before and after  photos of this project.  Could be helpful for many.

Ha ha, Miss Mermaid, I am NOT a mechanic! I am handy with tools and can do minor service and repairs though. ALL women should be able to change a tire and their oil! My experience with fiberglass came from boating, electronics, electric, and auto service came from my Dad, fencing and barn repair came from work, basic carpentry came from work, and minor car repairs came from a boyfriend or two.

In the old days, before serpentine belts, a pair of nylons in the tool box came in handy if the fan belt broke! Just tie the nylons around the flywheels and it would get you to the next exit or gas station.

I still keep a knife and screwdriver handy to repair broken hoses. Most of the time a radiator or heater hose will burst near the end where it attaches. If it happens to you, wait for the overheated vehicle to cool off a bit, loosen the hose clamp at the leak with the screwdriver, remove the hose from the engine and cut off the end of the hose with the knife. Replace the end of the hose, tighten the clamp, and you're good to go! Of course you'll then go to the nearest garage or auto parts store and replace the bad hose!

I also carry bailing twine, bailing wire and duct tape in my tool boxes!  ;D

if you are down here in FL ii can help you do all this 

i even have a mig for still working  and can help you make alot of the parts by hand you well need

but again i am down here in FL

Hey Terry! You could come up to Western NC in March and give me a hand!!  ;D

terry735001 said:
if you are down here in FL ii can help you do all this 

i even have a mig for still working  and can help you make alot of the parts by hand you well need

but again i am down here in FL

Back
Top Bottom