hard boil eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sprinkle of baking SODA does wonders.  Also,using Cold water to cool them down immediately after cooking.  I bring mine to a boil,cover the pot,and turn off the heat!  Let them sit for 10-12 minutes and drain,then the cold water bath.  Peeling as soon as they are cool enough to touch seems to help.

I found much the same as others, after boiling I put them into an ice water bath and crack the shells all over. Let them sit in the cold water, as the egg cools it draws the water under the shell making it seperate easier.

Fresh eggs will not peel well, the m must be at least 10 days old, older is better.

Thanks for the tip on using baking soda, I'll try it next time I make my scotch eggs

Tom said:
Jackie, I was just yanking Rene's chain about the brand of eggs  ;D
If food and type of chicken (breed and whether cockrel of hen) has anything to do with it the brand might make a difference. We will wait in feedback from Rene's extensive egg boiling research ???

I think Rene has a chance with the egg issue of giving Oldgater's fold or wad topic a run for its money, maybe even the "which TP" question  ;) ;D

I usually go through a dozen eggs a week, but I always have a dozen a week before I use them. When I boil them I have no trouble peeling them, MOST of the time. I start off with my hottest tap water on high heat, and when it just starts to boil I drop in the eggs, and cook for 14 minutes. I don't want NO soft yolk in my boiled or fried eggs. I drain the water and use cold tap water changing a couple times and peel right away. Using fresh eggs and my method, they will be difficult to peel. 

One thing I've discovered (DW uses the start them in cold water, boil, then cool in ice water method) is that when taking the boiled egg from the fridge, it sometimes helps to first hold the unbroken egg under hot water from the faucet for a few seconds -- contraction/expansion, etc. -- and sometimes a very slow pressure to get a piece of peel off helps get the membrane loose from the egg itself, which is what usually takes a piece of the egg with it.

But I've found nothing that works 100% of the time. Still, that ice water bath (at least half an hour, maybe longer) right after cooking has reduced our percentage of chunks pulled off when peeling.

In the olde country I used to remove the shell from hard boiled eggs, warm or cold, by slipping the handle end of a spoon under the shell, working around the egg, and it would come off in one piece.

Pugapooh said:
Also,using Cold water to cool them down immediately after cooking.  I bring mine to a boil,cover the pot,and turn off the heat!  Let them sit for 10-12 minutes and drain,then the cold water bath.

There's cold water and then there's COLD water.  My sister eats hard boiled eggs all the time and when she lived in Sacramento she got easily peeled eggs using running tap water for the cold water bath.

When she moved to Palm Springs she had to add ice cubes to the water bath ... the tap water wasn't cold enough to let the shells cleanly peel away from the eggs.

Rene T said:
Are you also talking about the Egglettes?

I agree..........completely a gimmick.    AND, they are a PITA to get clean!  Don't waste your money. AND I didn't get them for a month. 

......can you tell, I'm not happy with them?  :D

Tom said:
In the olde country I used to remove the shell from hard boiled eggs, warm or cold, by slipping the handle end of a spoon under the shell, working around the egg, and it would come off in one piece.

But were those olde eggs?  ;) ;D ;D  (couldn?t resist) ::)

[quote author=Sun2Retire]But were those olde eggs?[/quote]
Nah, a young Tom  ;D

DH now swears that the eggs peel much better if you let them get to room temp before boiling.  This has worked about 95% of the time so I might start putting in a little baking soda to top it off.  It sounds like no one has a sure fire solution to this very real irritating problem.

Robin

jackiemac said:
It's baking powder in the UK - same thing  ;D

I have been advised that these are not actually the same.... baking powder contains soda but they work slightly differently.

Apologies and thanks to the person who told me...  I won't be allowed to do any baking any time soon.....  :eek:

jackiemac said:
I have been advised that these are not actually the same.... baking powder contains soda but they work slightly differently.

Apologies and thanks to the person who told me...  I won't be allowed to do any baking any time soon.....  :eek:

well...no wonder my soda bread turns out so bad!

jackiemac said:

Yeah... baking powder contains its own acid. baking soda requires another acidic ingredient.
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/06/11/baking-powder-vs-baking-soda/

My grandma taught me to use old eggs. Start with eggs in room temp water with a pinch of soda, bring to a roiling boil and turn off heat, let them sit in the water until cool enough to pull out by hand.

I've totally gone off boiled eggs now as I am exhausted.  I think I will just have to scramble or fry  ;D

jackiemac said:
I've totally gone off boiled eggs now as I am exhausted.  I think I will just have to scramble or fry  ;D

You should be exhausted, look at the time you posted this.

jackiemac said:

The Europeans have perfected scrambled eggs. Americans too often cook scrambled eggs to death. They end up rubbery and flavorless. Scrambled eggs in Europe are creamy and vibrant. I think the key is plenty of butter and low heat.

Back
Top Bottom