Harrisburg,Pa. to Cape Cod, Ma.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2x

I've never driven an RV through (or around) New York City.  Looks like there are several ways to get up to Mass.  Any suggestions would help.  Thanks, Beau

Don't go into NYC. Since you're in Harrisburg, you're already near I-81, which is the preferred route north.

I-81 north to I-84 in Scranton. Follow I-84 all the way through New York and Connecticut to the Mass Pike, then I-495. There's a recent thread on I-84 in Connecticut that might be useful.

As to tolls, the Beacon bridge on I-84 is $4.00 (only charged eastbound, westbound is free). Hudson River bridges south of I-84 are $30.00 and up. No tolls in PA or CT, the Mass Pike is $1.10.

Mr. Wanderer, thanks for the info.  I'll plan to go that way.  Do you know if there are any restrictions on any of those roads?  Thanks again, Beau

No restrictions, I've had my motorhome on these roads many times.

A co-worker has a house on the cape, and that's the route he takes. He does say to avoid the bridges onto the cape on Saturday, until at least late afternoon. Summer rentals run Saturday to Saturday, and all the traffic has to funnel onto the bridges.

HappyWanderer said:
No restrictions, I've had my motorhome on these roads many times.

A co-worker has a house on the cape, and that's the route he takes. He does say to avoid the bridges onto the cape on Saturday, until at least late afternoon. Summer rentals run Saturday to Saturday, and all the traffic has to funnel onto the bridges.

This info is exactly right, former 30 year resident of Cape Cod.

Bill

As to tolls, the Beacon bridge on I-84 is $4.00

Those sound like car tolls. The Beacon-Newburg bridge is $10 for my coach & toad.

I prefer I81 to I88, then I88 to I90 and cross Massachusetts on the Mass Pike (I90). Avoids the 20 miles of hectic traffic around Hartford, CT.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Those sound like car tolls. The Beacon-Newburg bridge is $10 for my coach & toad.

That's what I paid last time, EZ Pass and no toad. I just checked, current Class 2 cash price is $5.00.

When I cross the bridges to cape cod I activate my emergency flashers and straddle both narrow
lanes over the bridge. You don't want to get to close to the exceptionally high curb stones!

DITTO said:
When I cross the bridges to cape cod I activate my emergency flashers and straddle both narrow
lanes over the bridge. You don't want to get to close to the exceptionally high curb stones!

A whole lot of local truckers do the same. If you do this, truly straddle the line. You don't want an impatient maroon crowding or crossing the double yellow line on the uphill side and causing a head-on crash. The lanes are only 10" wide. I used to cross that bridge daily with a semi truck, I have clicked mirrors and polished lug nuts on the curb because of maroons. Some of the maroons are hung-ho truckers that should know better.

Bill

HappyWanderer said:
Don't go into NYC. Since you're in Harrisburg, you're already near I-81, which is the preferred route north.

I-81 north to I-84 in Scranton. Follow I-84 all the way through New York and Connecticut to the Mass Pike, then I-495. There's a recent thread on I-84 in Connecticut that might be useful.

As to tolls, the Beacon bridge on I-84 is $4.00 (only charged eastbound, westbound is free). Hudson River bridges south of I-84 are $30.00 and up. No tolls in PA or CT, the Mass Pike is $1.10.
We just came that route from NC and are up here now, and come that way every year.
The only thing that I can add is be alert and ready for some hair raising driving when you come through Hartford.
The speed limit in a few places is 45, and everyone is going 70 in narrow lanes

jack L

Here's something I posted last week on another thread about I-84 in Connecticut:

If you're just passing through, there is an easy bypass around downtown Hartford. From I-84 east, get off at Exit 27 for I-691 east. Follow that to I-91 north to Hartford, then back to I-84 east. I-91 is 3 lanes and pretty straight, not like I-84 through Hartford with it's curves and lane changes.

The biggest challenge on I-84 is the construction project in Waterbury. Avoid it during morning and afternoon rush hours, and between 9:30 to 11:00 am on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday when they intermittently shut the highway down for blasting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merlee&drebug
Back
Top Bottom